PDA

View Full Version : 1985 350x problem starting issue

clintonnelms
06-08-2012, 04:25 AM
Hey guys. I tried to start this thread in trikeselvaynia?? but was unable to as I am new so here I am. I am rebuilding/restoring a 1985 350x that has been in my family for years. My question/problem is as follows. When I pulled her out from junk status, she fired right up, but ran like crud. I cleaned the carb and she would start on the first full kick but would die after I let the choke out. I just rebuilt the carb and changed the spark plug, the fuel mixture screw is at 2 1/2 turns. I replaced the fuel line and added a fuel filter. I tried kicking her over and nothing after numerous kicks, I was ready to call it a night but slowly kicked and heard some compression so I tried her again and nothing, then randomly I fully opened the throttle and wammo!! she fired right up, I took off the choke and adjusted the idle the way I wanted it and she ran great, idled sweet so I turned her off and then tried kicking again, nothing until I kicked with the gas all the way open and she fired up again. My question is why will it only start with the throttle fully open?? I simply rebuilt the carb (just changed the mixture screw and pilots and gaskets)remember, after started, idles great, didnt die or anything. Any help would be great guys, I am going camping in three weeks and really want her on this trip. I already replaced a ton of parts and it looks great, this is my only issue right now, and the rear brakes, but who needs brakes!?

jb2wheels
06-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Check the basics:
- what type of air filter and what condition?
- what type of exhaust and what condition?
- decomp adjustment correct?
- vales adjusted correctly?
- how old is the gas?

Although, your symptoms sound like carb issues. What's your definition of "cleaning" the carb or "rebuilding" the carb.

When I bought my 86, the carb was nasty. Full of brown goopy varnish and the slide would not move because the needle was glued to the needle jet/emulsion tube. In that case, cleaning meant taking every removeable piece out (except the 2nd "starting" jet the 86 has but the 85 doesn't) and cleaning. I used a whole can of carb cleaner. I had to pull a few strands of copper wire out of some old speaker wire to clear the main and pilot jets and the holes in the emulsion tubes. Blow compressed air through every passage. use a flashlight to check every hole.

No kit on that one since it's just going to sit for a while until I get around to refinishing it.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/142152-JB-s-Other-350X-Refresh

The 85 got a kit and it actually came with a 42 pilot which was cool because the big X needs it.

They all have to be clean or it won't work and the big X is more sensitive than most.

I also have the mixture set closure to 3.5 turns if I recall. If you change the pipe or air filter or if the filter is missing or even if the lid is off you'll need a bigger pilot jet.

Good luck.

stillhunter
06-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Check you float, if bent to far it won't allow gas.I know it sounds stupid but it happens all the time.I have picked up a few bikes that wouldn't run for cheap, and after cleaning carb and adjusting float had them running great.

clintonnelms
06-08-2012, 06:38 PM
The first time I cleaned the carb I removed every part and soaked them in gasoline for two days then put it back together, thats when it started fin but would die with the choke down, the uni air filter is pretty nasty, maybe I will replace that before I go camping. Now I must add I did lose the float pin(holds the float in place) and stick a small nail in there and bent the end so it would not slide out. It does a good job holding it there and does allow the float to move freely. I may just not even worry about it and just give it gas when starting...

stillhunter
06-08-2012, 06:46 PM
I still think its the float, even more now.I soak in carb cleaner and blow everything out with air. If its not getting fuel its not gonna run.Bend the tab down bit I think and you should be good.