PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here big into powder coating?

TheRealFatShady
06-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Just wondering if anyone on here does any powder coating themselves, and/or is knowledgeable on the subject.

Mostly curious to see if anyone has done engines/engine parts, and exhausts on trikes/cars/bikes etc without them peeling off or overheating. If so, what's a good powder to use?

Thanks

atc007
06-11-2012, 09:55 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/144000-Looking-into-getting-into-Powder-Coating-plating-and-welding-aluminum-need-help?highlight=powdercoating

bkm
06-11-2012, 10:50 PM
I have used Columbia Coatings Hi-Temp powder on a members pipe, but he has yet to use it, so I can't comment on the durability of the powder.

Dirtcrasher
06-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Lots of guys do it. But, you have to have a sand blaster, acetone and a powder coating gun as well as an oven and holding rack.

I do all my own parts but I won't say it's really easy; I ended up buying an expensive 2 stage compressor.

Do a google search, and you'll find someone in Mass that does it faster and more efficiently.

TheRealFatShady
06-12-2012, 01:57 AM
I have a place for it and all the equipment needed; the oven can fit several frames at once, it's that large.

I just was looking for more insight into what type of powder to use for high heat. Basically I can do all of it or have my buddy (runs the shop with the powder coat setup) do it free, but I would need to supply any special powders for any of my own stuff.

If I recall correctly, you (DC) had showed me a few headpipes that didn't hold up over time after powder coating, they simply get too hot and it peels off. Just wondering if anyone found any way to remedy this, or if I should just go with the standard cheap Harbor Freight powder and re-do it whenever it peels.

300rman
06-13-2012, 09:14 PM
I have a place for it and all the equipment needed; the oven can fit several frames at once, it's that large.

I just was looking for more insight into what type of powder to use for high heat. Basically I can do all of it or have my buddy (runs the shop with the powder coat setup) do it free, but I would need to supply any special powders for any of my own stuff.

If I recall correctly, you (DC) had showed me a few headpipes that didn't hold up over time after powder coating, they simply get too hot and it peels off. Just wondering if anyone found any way to remedy this, or if I should just go with the standard cheap Harbor Freight powder and re-do it whenever it peels.

You cant use powder for high-heat. The guy I use uses a ceramic style coating, and it lasts years when prepped properly. Im not sure what it is or where he gets it, all i know is that it is a ceramic coating. I believe it is in liquid form, and then has to be baked at high heat.

Dirtcrasher
06-14-2012, 02:05 PM
^ I've never been told that, but I'm gonna believe you because every brand of hi heat powder I try, turns dull at the front portion. The rest seems ok and those friggen 350X clamps don't make it any easier.......

300rman
06-15-2012, 11:32 PM
^ I've never been told that, but I'm gonna believe you because every brand of hi heat powder I try, turns dull at the front portion. The rest seems ok and those friggen 350X clamps don't make it any easier.......

The guy I use wont touch "high temp" powder. He has mainly uses black ceramic for anything that gets hot. high heat powder may be ok for a valve cover or something, but anything with real heat is a no-no.