PDA

View Full Version : Which states is best for off roading?

LonesomeTriZ
06-11-2012, 11:25 PM
I am planning to make a big change soon but I need a lot of information before I commit to anything. I have identified my love of trails and out door type stuff as being the final deciding factor. The type of off roading I am really into is trails. I like exploring the back country. I am not big on mud holes or OHV parks. I know trail closers are always an impending threat so that has to be part of the decision as well. I am into ATV’s, 4x4’s, horse back, and mountain biking. So, keeping that in mind, which state would be the best choice for living out my life enjoying those types of activities?

By the way, no offense to California, I know you guys have some awesome trails and great off roading out there. But I cannot justify the high cost of living out that way. Also, the wife already said Alaska is a no go. Yeah, I am not happy about that.

Please include some names and descriptions of some of the trail systems you all have as well.

Scratt
06-11-2012, 11:31 PM
British Columbia!! Haha

LonesomeTriZ
06-11-2012, 11:33 PM
I have read some about how it is up there. The thought did cross my mind.

Scratt
06-11-2012, 11:38 PM
I didn't think you would be interested but I have been there lots and I think it is the most beautiful place ever. The trails are great and there is so much crown land to go riding in. Depends where you are, the summer weather can be really warm. Lots off room for horses too and I heard some really good places to go mountain biking.

Jon Boy
06-11-2012, 11:52 PM
probibly not the best choice and just a thought. also not sure how many other states are like this. Indiana has some decent all around parks (atv, horseback, hiking and camping), but the thing i like best is once you've registered you atv in Ind. ($10 a year) you can ride on any county road to get from place to place. :beer

El Camexican
06-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Never been, but I hear CO is nice.

Eric250R
06-12-2012, 12:00 AM
I may be a little biased but I have found no where that offers as much riding and other outdoor activities as southeastern Ky. The only official trail system is the knott county trail. It's been featured in a few mags. But honestly it's not as good as the normal riding here. There are no marked trails, just truly endless riding with no restrictions and no danger of ever being closed. You can pull out of your driveway in any direction and literaly ride as long as you want, anywhere you want. The police will not bother you unless you're being a complete idiot and alot of times they will ride with you.

brapp
06-12-2012, 12:02 AM
i love pensylvania, its pretty decent economy, the oil and gas fields are boomignup here, and middle of the state has thousands of acres of rac trails and a ton of private land also. ther eis a fairly good size horse comunity here and plenty of state game lands for horseback riding, hiking mtn biking etc. and not too hot in summer, decently cold but not horrible rarely in the nagative numbers. and if its north east pa, ther eis a few local fellow boardmembers who i am sure woudl help ya out.

LonesomeTriZ
06-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Canada does have some very nice areas. At least from what I have seen on TV anyway. I would really like to visit there but I do not think I am ready to be a canadian just yet. I will at least give Obama a chance to leave officer first. (could not help it)

I did not think of Indiana. I would like ot hear more about that.

I have to pensylvania before and loved it. I never knew a Yankee state would be so nice. I have noticed a lot of trails and off road article about it as well.

I have read that CO has some great trails. but I think i would have a cost of living issue there.

Kentucky is something I am checking into right now. I have already spoke to a few agencies out there and have been agthering information on areas on the eastern side of the state.

threewheelin-feelin
06-12-2012, 12:45 AM
virginia and north carolina seem to have alot of atv parks and national forest systems running thrue both of them...to bad you dont like mud holes we have tons of them too

ebaccm26
06-12-2012, 12:50 AM
If you dont mind the cold you should look into northern michigan/the upper peninsula, there is alot of trails, state land, etc.

LonesomeTriZ
06-12-2012, 12:52 AM
I just read about some trails in the carolinas I plan to visit on vacation soon. Mud holes are fine for hanging out on a weekend maybe. But I really enjoy heading out into the woods and exploring. If I am going to sink a lot of time and money in an off road rig, it is going to be for trails. I did enjoy having a weekend beater for mud holes though when I was younger.

LonesomeTriZ
06-12-2012, 12:53 AM
If you dont mind the cold you should look into northern michigan/the upper peninsula, there is alot of trails, state land, etc.

We were typing at the same time. I agree with your suggestion. I read a lot about that area. So much as a amtter of fact I was plannign a trip there. Guess who put the brakes on that though. She said she would not be able to stand the winter up there.

Mosh
06-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Probably Southern Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia areas are going to offer you the most choices.
You have all the trails of kentucky, Hatfield Mccoy trails in WV, OTC racing, and harescrambles and poker runs, and even PA riding, all within about 4-5 hours of drive time. Southern Ohio is pretty desolate yet, plus there is Wellsville in Ohio about 4 hours from the Cincy area. Cost of living aint too bad, plenty of jobs in the river regions, and Southern Ohio and WV and Kentucky, the winters are not really all bad all the time.
Plus the area in that region is pretty wooded and hilly..And TF would only be about 4 hours away or even less.

Deathrocket
06-12-2012, 01:58 PM
my suggestion, arizona
1 you can get quads street legal if your so inclined, there are MILES! of desert, forest, and mountain dirt roads throughout the whole state. (longest i went in a day was over 200 miles) and no the whole state is not 110 in the summer, just from about black canyon city down.. its one of the most diverse states weather and geographically out there, plus the dunes are near too. the economy kinda sucks.. thats my only beef with the area... i miss the country of az.. but not much else... one of the best starting points for wheeling is outside of sedona....

LonesomeTriZ
06-12-2012, 02:06 PM
KY and WV are topping the list right now. I did not know Ohio had good trails though.

AZ does sound good. I guess i am worried about moving that far away when I have never been there. I would like to try and work out a trip so I can see it.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
I would say that Northern Central NYS has a real descent trail system in the Tug Hill region.. But the politics and cost of living here sucks bigtime! If you like firearms, motorsports, low taxes and are into anything that is generally looked upon as "redneck" then STAY AWAY! I wouldn't recommend anyone move here from any other state exept maybe Kalifornia...

Otherwise, you would be surprised at how much backwoods boondock country lies in Central and Northern NY...

LonesomeTriZ
06-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Damn, I think I will take a step or two back then.

wisconsinite
06-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Wisconsin has HUNDREDS of miles of public, trike friendly trails! Great hunting and fishing, too.

LonesomeTriZ
06-12-2012, 09:24 PM
How is the cost of living?

wisconsinite
06-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Not the worst, manufacturing jobs have been picking up of late also.
Also check out: www.watva.org

LonesomeTriZ
06-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the link. That does change my way of thinking about WI.

WIkid500
06-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm another in WI. Wi has tons to offer for the outdoors person. Snowmobiling, ice racing, ice fishing, hunting, lots of atv trails in northern Wi open to trikes all summer long. Were next to the UP of Mich. for LOTS of snow and some crazy back woods atv trails and logging roads that go on for days. If you want sand you can take the ferry across lake Mich. to the silver lake sand dunes. Oh yeah we have lots and lots of public and state parks you can take the kids camping in, a lot of them year round. Our state is getting better every day Gov. Walker is in office. What line of work ya in?

LonesomeTriZ
06-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Hmmm, I forgot I would need snowmobiles that far north. Man, I really cannot get into yet another motorized hobby. Are the winters too much for trikes and quads? I am in law enforcement.

Tri-Z 250
06-12-2012, 10:09 PM
I agree with Southern East Ohio, Gas Companies like Chesapeak Gas are desperate for all forms of employment. You must be clean with no feloneys, rig jobs start at 50K after 2months paid 14/hr class and field training. CDL truckdrivers needed as well...They make no bones about their business its tuff work but they pay well. Just off the Ohio boarder South of Pittsburg PA a HUGE gas refinery is being built claimed to be one of two possible sites Off the Ohio river. Fracking for Natural Gas is claimed to be bringing more than a 100Billion dollars to Ohio in the next 5yrs. Trust me if I could I would...but I'm locked in with the family at this time...huge change isn't an option.

LonesomeTriZ
06-12-2012, 10:13 PM
That is something to think about. I different career path is not unappealing to me.

WIkid500
06-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Lately the winters around have been easy for quads and trikes. I rode on the lakes last winter with 18" tires and no studs. There was just enough snow for traction, was fun. A lot of the trails are open to atv's in the winter, when it's good and cold the trails are hard enough the tires get good traction.

LonesomeTriZ
06-12-2012, 10:21 PM
As long as I can wheel year round, I am happy.

WIkid500
06-12-2012, 10:27 PM
No issues with that. Especially if you like to ice fish, set up tip-ups and go rip around on the lakes and watch for a flag :) We used to ride the rivers when they froze up good, it's like riding a road course you can slide corners on, good times.

LonesomeTriZ
06-13-2012, 08:28 AM
That does sound like a lot of fun.

keister
06-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Colorado!!! Hands down, and "I've been everywhere man"

LonesomeTriZ
06-13-2012, 07:35 PM
What are some trail systems I should look into in CO?

keister
06-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I wasn't referring to any trail systems in particular, although a quick google search will show you the vastness of thei public ATV trails. I have done some trail riding near Pueblo, but again, these weren't any kind of official marked trails.
My point was, pick a town and there will endless outdoor activities nearby. The best part of CO is the weather. Summer days are warm and nights are cool because there is no humidity. Yes, there are areas with high cost of living, but if you avoids tourist trap towns (major ski areas) it is not an expensive place.

As for, marked trail systems West Virginia's Hatfield McCoy trails are excellent. Then again, I may be biased towards them.

LonesomeTriZ
06-15-2012, 09:02 PM
I have read about some trails in CO that lead to old mining towns. That would be very cool to see.

300rman
06-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Michigan. Rose City/Glen Helen/West Branch area is amazing. Beautiful, not flat, tons of state trails, some local camping establishments (OSTC is the best in the area). All the riding you could ever stand, you can ride trails from town to town, get gas, food etc.....riding alongside the roads with an ORV is legal in most counties provided certain requirements are met. Lots of farming up there too, lots of large plots of land available.....

LonesomeTriZ
06-16-2012, 05:59 AM
What is the cost of land like?

hublake
06-16-2012, 07:14 AM

I don't know current land prices there, but land prices have taken a bit hit in the past few years. I live in Hubbard Lake which is about 60 miles from Rose City and land and lake frontage has taken a real hit. A few years ago lake frontage on Hubbard Lake was going for $3000.00 a foot. Now I have heard it is around $2000.00. Property of all types is alot lower in price than a few years ago. The Rose City area is a great riding area. Check the Huron/Manistee National forest web site.

LonesomeTriZ
06-16-2012, 01:14 PM
I hope where ever we end up has good prices. but I know there are some places that is still a sellers market.

300rman
06-17-2012, 04:32 PM

depends what area, but land up there is pretty cheap from what the campground guys tell me. Theres not a lot up there, but you have nearly complete freedom. And larger cities arent horribly far away for visits back to "civilization"

LonesomeTriZ
06-18-2012, 11:28 AM
What about the liberals?

300rman
06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
What about the liberals?

I like the way you think!

From talking to some of the locals, they are pretty non-existent.

LonesomeTriZ
06-18-2012, 12:54 PM
That is good to hear. I cannot deal with them very well. It is getting to the point I cannot even live near any at all.

ATCcountryboy
06-18-2012, 09:01 PM
I have to agree, CO is a great place for riding. I lived the for a couple of years(woodland park-CO springs area) it is an AMAZING area.

LonesomeTriZ
06-18-2012, 09:36 PM
I would like ot visit up there before moving.