PDA

View Full Version : so i ust scored my first 85 200 s honda atc, need some help

batonveck
06-12-2012, 02:31 AM
so i scored this cool little trike from a guy for nothing. some crakes in the fenders but it is complete. well i cleaned the carb really well......twice. added fresh gas and she fired right up. idled a bit rough so i tweaked and suddenly she was purren. so i aired the tires and off i went. 5 mins later the tires go flat and she bogs down and dies. now i checked spark just a hour ago and it was nice bright blue. fuel still getting to the moter. main problem now is i cant get her to start back up. she will fire with throttle hammerd down. but will sit and sputter for a few seconds, pause, then sputter for a few seconds then pause, and repeat till i let throttle off. then she dies. i tried fiddling with the set screws and that didnt help. tried all combos of choke, primed the carb. and still nothing. i even cleaned the contacts on the magneto. and traced wiring diagram, thing is none of the major stufff is wrong. the bike really was never rallied, it was used to lay conduit. i just don't get it i really need some help

tripowersport
06-13-2012, 09:23 PM
NICE you cant beat that I really like 200s i have 4 lol. Re check the jets, mine did it then i cleaned the carb and it still did it so i took it apart again and the jet was still a lil blocked. take a lil wire and go throw the jets. The air screw stock setting is 2-1/4 out with a #100 main jet. I also noticed that my 200s's when i got them as i'm driving it and let off the gas it keeps going for a lil then dies down I had to turn the idle screw way out even after it died then i re stated it and it was good.

tri again
06-14-2012, 01:17 AM
If the tank is rusty, I usually just take them to the car wash and BLAST them out with
the high pressure wand or it will keep messing with the carb jets.

or radiator shop does a nice job pretty cheap.

Hope it's an easy fix for you.

kb0nly
06-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Probably got some crud in the carb... Put an inline fuel filter between the petcock and the carb, get a metal cleanable filter that you can separate and clean the element and put back together. Cause chances are you will have it happen again as stuff gets shook loose in the tank, if that is indeed your problem.

Another thing to check, the exhaust. My 84 200ES had weird idle problems that i fought for days then i decided to get rid of the rotted muffler and replace the exhaust, imagine my surprise when it started and idled like a brand new motor. Getting it hot from running it around could have moved some packing around in the muffler, or if it has the original spark arrestor i had one that wouldn't run for crud because that had a bad carbon buildup on it.

batonveck
07-03-2012, 06:01 PM
so when i put the carb back together i didnt tighten the main jet screw all the way, and when i fired it up the first time it must have rattled loose. i got feed up with pullen and pullen that i checked and traced all the wires, checked all the breether tubes, and finnally tore the carb off, i heard some rattlin and bam, the stupid screw came out. so put it back in. bought a new sparkplug, threw the axle hubs and tires off a wheeler rear end i had and bam, good as new! and now i am annoying the nighbors cause i am flyin up and down the roads! and takin corners at around 35

briano
07-03-2012, 10:19 PM
You sound like just the guy that gave three wheelers a bad reputation. Driving like an idiot and pissing other people off, just what the trike community needs.