PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy crazy?

chrismoore
06-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Ok so I was browsing around a local cycle salvage/small engine repair shop and I decided to ask if he has anything in ok running condition that needs a few repairs. He replied by showing me an old Honda ATC 125. It will crank with the help of a nylon strap because the recoil is long gone. When it cranks it smokes a good amount but nothing a good set of rings won't fix. The left fender is busted horribly, its sitting on three very flat, very dry rotted tires, and the front light is busted. He is asking $250 for it. He aired the tired up and let me run it and besides the smoke it ran like a champ and is all original. Do you think this is a decent price, should I talk him down, or tell him to go do very bad things to himself?

thestud25
06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Seems a steep to me. I wouldn't pay that based upon your description.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-13-2012, 08:46 PM
I agree with Stud... I wouldn't pay more than about $175 for that trike. If the tires were useable then $250 wouldn't be too outrageous.

Jon Boy
06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
i feel i got a pretty decent deal on mine and i payed $250. pics were taken the day after i bought it and got it cleaned up. started in 2 pulls, no smoke and not counting the tires/fuel lines, it's basicly all original.

chrismoore
06-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Well I went back yesterday to give it a real good look over and I found that the carb is flooding pretty bad so I am going to need a rebuild kit or new carb. One tire is good but I will have to buy 2 for it. I think I am going to offer 175$ for it considering around here a excellent condition big red only goes for around 800$ and banged up ones like this are usually just junked out and sold for parts. Also I have been checking on prices for all the parts I need to restore this trike and so far I am over 400$ in parts and tires. I would really love to have this little trike just for riding over my property but I wanna feel like I got a good deal or else its going to piss me off everytime I look at it.

thestud25
06-14-2012, 02:52 PM
You may not need a carb kit. It sounds to me that the float level may need to be adjusted. I think $175 is the tops that I would pay for that.

chrismoore
06-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Thanks for that bit of advice. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I am going to need a new tank because the one on it is rusted on the inside pretty good. Its not getting much in the fuel line but thats going to be another 150$+ that I'll need. The more I think about it the more I'm not sure I wanna buy it considering there are some in better condition for only a couple hundred dollars more.

DasUberKraut
06-14-2012, 04:55 PM
You know...

Even if you don't have a reason to. It's still fun to tell people to "go do very bad things" to themselves. :beer

dustrunner
06-14-2012, 08:25 PM
ya, i would pass. those smaller atc's in nice shape in my area only bring around 300-400 and i mean nice..... but that's me..

chrismoore
06-15-2012, 12:08 PM
yea im passing on it. he said the lowest he could go on it would be 200$ because he paid 350$ for it. I told him sorry he got ripped off but I wasn't going to be his fool. I did find a guy nearby that has 3 trikes for 300$ all need a little work but its a better deal. He has a 185, 200, & 200m. He also has an R and a couple X's I may look into.

Keepah Rolln
06-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Pass not worth the money you will sink 500 into that easilly!!! People who collect junk think their stuff is gold..Theres a guy here who wants 200$ for a really rusted 200 honda big red with no racks or tiress!!!Its been sitting in his field for the past 10 years lol...I think thats where its going to be forever..

RIDE-RED 250r
06-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Pass not worth the money you will sink 500 into that easilly!!! People who collect junk think their stuff is gold..Theres a guy here who wants 200$ for a really rusted 200 honda big red with no racks or tiress!!!Its been sitting in his field for the past 10 years lol...I think thats where its going to be forever..

That right there is a dang shame too...

It's too bad that some machines will just rot out of existence because of an unrealistic seller, when they could be either fixed up or parted out to keep other machines going.