PDA

View Full Version : Honda ATC smoking

honda-atc
06-14-2012, 12:07 AM
With the help and suggestions of this great site I got my 1984 atc 200m running nice. I cleaned the carb, front and rear sprockets, new chain, new tires, battery and painted fenders and frame. I took it out two weekends and had a blast. Last weekend I showed it off to the family and we noticed it was smoking. It had not smoked at all the weekend I rode it. Now it smokes bad. I assume the rings need to be replaced. Any idea on cost of having someone do that? Any ideas on something else it could be?

Thanks

tripowersport
06-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Yes its the Rings, sorry i don't know how much it will be i do all my work my self the last time i sent some thing to a shop when i got it back it only ran for 3days.

tripowersport
06-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Here is atc manuals. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

honda-atc
06-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the reply. I did all the mentioned stuff myself but never replaced rings on anything. Will it hurt it to ride it as is? I have a trip planned this weekend but will take the atv instead if it will cause damage. It sucks that it ran perfect and then just started this.

tripowersport
06-14-2012, 12:38 AM
How bad dose it some? I have some that smoke when i'm on it never fixed it and still runs like a champ. I even had one that you can fog with lol it still runs but i only use that one a lil.

tripowersport
06-14-2012, 12:40 AM
It still runs good and isn't like a wall of smoke rite? or any leaks at the jug or head?

tripowersport
06-14-2012, 12:47 AM
If it was mine i would take it and let it cool down after a wile and keep check the oil.

honda-atc
06-14-2012, 08:51 AM
It still runs great but it is a lot of smoke. I'll take it and transition between rides. I guess I'll call a shop today and get an estimate. Thanks guys.

kb0nly
06-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Sounds like time for new rings and a honing at least, might need to be bored though, all depends on how badly its worn. I did this job on a 185 for a guy, wasn't too bad, in his case the cylinder looked ok, i took it apart without pulling the motor, set the whole thing up on a picnic table so i didn't have to bend down the whole time. Ran a hone through the cylinder on a drill press setup a friend of mine has then put new rings on, a new wrist pin and bearings. Tossed it back together with some new gaskets and off it went, still running strong i just saw them about a week ago.

Honda_ATC
06-14-2012, 11:09 PM
Well dose it smoke all the time? or just some times ? It could just be valve guides

kb0nly
06-15-2012, 01:32 AM
Good point, if it only smokes after sitting a half day or more then its likely the valve seals. The oil leaks down into the cylinder while its sitting then the first startup you burn off all that oil. This goes away pretty quickly though.

honda-atc
06-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Good question. I have not ran it enough to know if it burns all the time. I will find out this weekend and post back.

kb0nly
06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
If it only burns off some oil after sitting for a while its the valves... In my opinion, don't worry about it just check the oil every ride, which you should do anyway! A little oil in the cylinder when its sitting isn't a bad thing, will keep rust away.. LOL