PDA

View Full Version : 1979/82 Commuter Sasquatch Rear End

JebusKrist
06-20-2012, 02:29 PM
I've recently acquired a 1979/82 Commuter Industries Sasquatch 340cc the reason for the 1979/82 is the previous owner told me it was a 1979 but the sticker on the rear end has 1982 on it leading me to believe it to be a 1982, now to the point, I know nothing about this machine and no one else seems to know anything either the information I'm looking for is what type of rear end is this what type of lube does it take, how much does it take and is it normal for gear lube to seep from around the axle or are the seals shot? attached is a picture of the rear end identification sticker. I'd be most appreciative of any information on this machine.148917

RaceBannon
06-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Ask Howdy. He'll know. Here's a post from 2006.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/47216-quot-Sasquatch-quot-threewheeler

Of course He will be at TF-2012 right now

JebusKrist
06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
So I figured I'd just continue this thread and ask how much gear lube I'm supposed to put in this thing, I've got a top fill hole and what looks like a bottom drain hole, do I fill it till it barely comes out of the bottom hole or until it barely comes out of the top hole? I've been told either way is correct.

Trailsafoot
10-01-2012, 12:08 AM
I have a Sasquatch I've had for around 25 years. Approximately four years ago I did a tune up on it including oil changes then it sat for the last 3 years. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and getting it running again. There was a lot of oil leakage around the seals so I thought the seals were gone. I asked a mechanic friend about it and this is his explanation. He checked the seals and then the oil level which was at the bottom of the seals. I told him I filled it to the top of the breather hole when I did the tune-up. He the differential case was overfilled and the oil leaked out to the correct level. He went on to tell me that the gears are splashed lubed so they don't need to be submerged in oil. The seals are for the purpose of keeping the oil in the case while the bike is in operation but not designed to keep oil in the case if continuously submerged. He told me the seals were fine and not to file the case above the seals.

commuter340
10-18-2012, 11:53 AM
I own 2 of these 3 wheelers. (a Sasquatch and a Granger) the Sasquatch run and drives quite well but it could use an engine rebuild as the rings are not the bes, but the body and everything else is in great shape. I use it for hunting and around the farm The granger runs but the fiberglass body is beat up pretty good and the tires are all bad from it sitting outside for several years. Unsure if im going to use it for parts or get it so its drives...leaning more towards parts. i just recently had both of the transmissions out and mine both seems to have motor oil in them(?) both were as good levels so I just left them alone as neither of my transmissions have drain or fill holes. I was alll about keeping my Sasquatch all original but have since changed the throttle to a tumb throttle and am currently installing the rear suspension from the granger to the sasquatch( grangers have coilovers in the rear) Im pretty knowledgeable with these machines if anyone needs help of has questions. Im also always looking for complete machines and parts long as the price is right and they can be shipped or not to far away

Repairman
11-04-2012, 10:19 PM
I appreciate learning about the Commuter Ind. 3 wheelers. I want to get my engine running before I get into the gear box. I am also interested in sources and part numbers for torque converter belts.