PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC 250R Gear Oil Low

jason0779
06-20-2012, 08:18 PM
So I finally got a chance to take my 250R out this past weekend and do some serious riding after rebuilding the whole bike and motor. When I got back to the house I checked the oil in the crank case and it was several oz. low. I had checked it prior to leaving for the weekend and it was barely coming out of the check hole like the book says. Any ideas guys? Thanks.

gus
06-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Im just guessing at this but you stated that you re built the hole motor? And you put oil in before you went out well maybe when you were riding the oil got low because it was running threw the transmission.meaning the parts got lube up. Its like a rebuilt transmission on a car it may ask for 10 qrts and you put 5 in and see that its full so you drive around and come back check it and see that its low well because the the oil got ran threw the transmissions. I hope this makes sense and Ian right lol but Ian pretty sure some one here can help out as well

Vader's R
06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
With no external leaks, you gotta look internal. The only place for it to go is past the rings and out the tailpipe. You notice any excessive smoking goin on?

Matrix
06-20-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't think you have an issue, just like gus stated. If you rebuilt the motor and filled it with a quart or something like the book calls for then you'll be low after riding because it ran through the crankcase. You're fine, but put some oil in it! I would be devastated to see an 85 go to waste :(

shortline10
06-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Yep might be the crank case seals !!!! Did you replace them on the rebuild ?

jason0779
06-20-2012, 10:40 PM
I replaced the top end. I took the left case cover off and replaced the stator. I took the right crank case cover off and had a small crack in the bottom welded back. New gaskets on both sides. There is NO external oil leaks. After I had rebuilt it I rode it around the block a couple of times but never more than 10 minutes. I checked the oil level after that and it was fine. This past weekend was the first time it has really been takin out and opened up.

I did notice it smoking excessivly however I mixed it up 20 to 1 for the first time it ran in a while ( 10 years +). Since then I have cut back to 32 to 1 and the smoking has gone down.

I'm really hoping it was just like a few of you guys said and that it was just running through the crank case and lubing everything. I did notice the manual said add more oil after rebuild.

I topped it off and i'll try to take it out this weekend.

gus
06-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Keep us posted about your R hope this info helped