PDA

View Full Version : 85 250 sx rear end clicking help

hregalado4
06-20-2012, 11:58 PM
soo i just traded for a 1985 honda 250 sx and it runs fine but the brake lever where the reverse cable is missing and it makes a fairly loud clicking noise when you go throught the gears in the rear end.alsop a slight wobble to the left rear tire.soo is it major?i think it is the rear axle mabey the output shaft?either way i want to ride it bad would this damage it further is the question.i traded an older shot gun, .22 octogon remake,and a peice of crap 73 honda cb200 that sat in the rain for it.good deal?all i know is i loved her at first sight.

Keepah Rolln
06-21-2012, 11:21 AM
It can be major. Check the rear end to see if you got 80 weight oil in it. But if its making noise most likely you will have to take it apart and see what needs fixing. As for the tire wobbly check for stripped or loose bolts and see if your rim bolt holes are egg shelled..

hregalado4
06-23-2012, 12:14 AM
yeah im not gonna ride her,she has been neglected,for sure this baby has got some problems but ive got time and shes a beast.thank you for your help.ive read on the net that these are awesome trikes soo im gonna rebuild it for sure.wish me luck!

big red in iowa
06-23-2012, 01:23 AM
check for a loose wheel, my br did the same thing when I got it.

Escanabajosh
06-23-2012, 08:35 AM
not sure the technical name for it but the big nut thats on the hub might be loose....I was riding with some in-laws yesterday and one of them wanted to ride my 86' sx and when he took off i heard clicking so i rode it and could hear it also and my tire wobbled a bit...hope i just gotta tighten it down a bit

Keepah Rolln
06-23-2012, 03:53 PM
yeah im not gonna ride her,she has been neglected,for sure this baby has got some problems but ive got time and shes a beast.thank you for your help.ive read on the net that these are awesome trikes soo im gonna rebuild it for sure.wish me luck!

Good luck:TrikesOwn I have a 1985 honda 250 sx and when taken care of they are just about bulletproof. I have one in good shape 90 percent original. You will have fun riding when she is done!!149021149022

stillhunter
06-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Get her going and treat her well.I have an 85 as well and love it.Keep up on the rear diff oil as the 85's are prone to allowing water in there.I change mine after any water riding which is to say almost every ride.It loves the mud,water, pretty much anything I ask the Big Sexy to do she does and yes I mean my SX (the wifes pretty good to though)

hregalado4
06-24-2012, 12:29 AM
you guys are hilarious,thanks for the help.i wish mine looked as good as yours does keep or still.....no racks on mine .by the way did all the 85,sx have a tool box on the back mine doesnt the plastic is cherry looking mabey off another bike or aftermarket?it fits ok.also my tank is white prob off an 86?hard telllin.wish it had those sweet racks thogh....oh well at least i have big red lol.ill try to post some pics later.

hregalado4
06-24-2012, 12:51 AM
soo no replhy yet ,was it a good deal?i thought it was.

stillhunter
06-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Basically to me ,any deal I make that makes me happy is a good deal. although I hope the shotgun wasn't a model 12, their still sweet to me

hregalado4
06-25-2012, 01:24 AM
the shotgun was a ranger basic model.wopuldnt even know what a model 12 was.lol.im honest though.

Flyingw
06-25-2012, 01:27 AM
You might have axle tube bearings going bad.

Keepah Rolln
06-25-2012, 12:58 PM
you guys are hilarious,thanks for the help.i wish mine looked as good as yours does keep or still.....no racks on mine .by the way did all the 85,sx have a tool box on the back mine doesnt the plastic is cherry looking mabey off another bike or aftermarket?it fits ok.also my tank is white prob off an 86?hard telllin.wish it had those sweet racks thogh....oh well at least i have big red lol.ill try to post some pics later.
The original rear fenders have a trunk in the back. aftermarket dont. They also have a black tool box on the left side mounted to the frame. Most people lost them over the years...

hregalado4
06-27-2012, 11:10 AM
cool sucks the plastic is aftermarket,but i have the tool box!yay