PDA

View Full Version : looking for opinions and reviews on a 1999 Polaris scrambler 500 4x4

jrwebb8324
06-24-2012, 07:52 PM
I have a chance to buy one of these polaris quads and wanting to see what everyone thinks of them.

WJG1000W
06-24-2012, 10:49 PM
polaris starts with a P ends with an S and theres an O in the middle
P.O.S.

Chazz of Blades
06-25-2012, 02:50 AM
My mother ran a service floor at a Polaris dealership in Texas, I stayed there a month once. I saw so many brand new, and old mind you, Polaris quads and UTVs come in for so many different problems it was crazy. Parts failures with less than a hundred miles on them, axles trashed, SO many belts burned up because the owner didn't have it in exactly the right gear setting for the load/terrain/hill, that I'll never own a Polaris.

Scootertrash
06-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Every machine has it's issues, go to any quad/ATV forum and you'll see plenty of questions regarding problems with all machines. I do a fair amount of wrenching on pretty much anything, and I think I can say that 90% of all the issues I come across are from user error, abuse, or lack of maintenance. Chazz's post above about burned belts is a perfect example of user error. Improper use of any transmission is going to wreck something. A belt is cheap. A LOT cheaper than a clutch.

You can go to any ATV dealer and the shop is full of machines being worked on, I've never been to a dealer where all the mechanics are out back havin a smoke and drinkin soda because there is nothing to do. Dealers make money off of fixing machines, if any one brand were bullet proof there would be no other brands and tons of unemployed powersports mechanics

I've worked on several Yamaha machines over the years, Arctic Cat, coupla Kawis, I have yet to work on a Can Am/Bombardier

My nephew has a '11 Kawi Brute Force 750 that has gone thru oil since he bought it and now it's starting to smoke and lose power. That will be coming here for a look-see and a little hop-up work :naughty:

Back to Polaris:
My neighbor has a 97 Sportsman that he has ridden hard and put away wet since new, he finally rebuilt the motor last year because the water pump was leaking, which was a known issue with the older 350's and 400's - if you didn't do proper maintenance. His was failing due to mileage and the seal went bad, he just rebuilt the motor since he had it out.

The wife and I both have Polaris 400 Scrambler 4x4s, hers is a 95, mine is a 96, both bought used. We've had them for about 4 years and I've never had a problem.

The plus side to the Polaris machines is that used parts are readily available if you do have issues. I've had lots of trouble finding people parts for Arctic Cat machines. Yamahas seem to have a tendency to be a bit more expensive parts-wise.

Have it checked over by a mechanic if you aren't mechanically savvy. Ride it and do maintenance and you'll be fine.

For the record, I'm more a Ski Doo/Bombardier/Can Am guy,we just don't have the money to invest 8-10 large in a machines for both the wife and I or I would.

jrwebb8324
06-25-2012, 02:06 PM
I work on different breeds of atvs in my garage as well, just not very many polaris. Not very many in my area. But anyway,it was brought down to be worked on(wiring, starter, and other odds and ends). but if the bill was to exceed 300 or more they would rather sale it.

brapp
06-25-2012, 06:35 PM
well i had a 2000 500 2 wheel drive with soem mild performance work, the thing was a great trail rider and actualy pretty bulletproof thoer simple but maintain them and ride them responsibily they run fine.

ktm one
08-01-2012, 10:15 PM
I've got an '87 cyclone that still kicks dust around! When that dies, I'd buy another polaris.