PDA

View Full Version : 250SX Fork options.

BC 250R
06-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Just picked up an 85 250SX and was wondering if anyone has tried a 200X or 250R Fork setup. Will the triple tree fit? Or the other fork tubes into the stock 250SX Triple tree?

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Brad

Flyingw
06-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Forget the 250R forks. They are too long for the ride height of the 250SX. The 200X front end is a good fit to the stock SX forks. The triples bolt right in and the 200X front end gives the right ride height for the SX and you get the advantage of the skinny tire and hydraulic brakes.

I prefer the 350X front end for the SX. Skinny tire, hydraulic brakes, and it slightly changes the rake. It totally changes the feel of the SX. The one modification you have to do for either the front ends is you have to weld a steering stop to the bottom of the neck of the frame. The steering stop is cut from a piece of 1/4 mild steel approx 1 1/4 long and about 3/4 inch wide. It's placed about 1/2 inch up from the bottom of the tube. The 350X forks need to be slid up the triples about an inch to get the ride height correct but in my opinion the 350X is a better front end for the SX. I've built two SXs with 350X front ends. I sold the cop trike but my latest is the black and white one. Notice the top of the fork tubes. I slide them up until the engine skid plate is parallel with the ground.

BC 250R
06-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks! Exactly what I was trying to find out without buying a bunch of stuff that may not work. I have been playing with TRX 250Rs for years and wanted a fun little ATC project for running around the property. I have had 200Xs, 250Rs and 350Xs back in the day but never a 250SX so am looking forward to this.
Thanks again
Brad

Flyingw
06-25-2012, 09:19 PM
I love the SX. Its no speed machine but it will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go. Sand, snow, trails, mud. Its a great multipurpose machine. Just keep the motor a spash over full and the diff full. The differentials/axle tubes are prone to water intrusion so keep an eye on the fluid. 80/90w gear oil for the diff. Its a good idea to change the oil if you swamp the chassis. Let me know if you need any help with it. I've rebuilt a few of these. If you do the front end conversion, I have precut steering stops I cut out at work on the waterjet. Good luck with it.

Here's a free manual DL site
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

schneed
04-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Flyingw, can you post pics of the steering stops? I'm looking to put some 200x font forks on my 250sx and wouldn't mind some guidance on steering stops.

Flyingw
04-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Here ya go. 1 3/16" long x 3/4" wide x 1/4" thick. I have some already cut and I'm going to the Post Office tomorrow. Just cover the shipping and I'll poke one in the mail if you like. I have pics for you but I cant get them to upload tot he board so send a blank email to jamesbaldwin99@gmail.com and I'll send you the pics back.