PDA

View Full Version : Big Horsepower trikes beware of these rear hubs

RTR318
06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
I was running a splineless rear axle/hub on my 500R until the hub explodeded sending me over the bars in third gear. Yep, sucked bad and hurt but good thing I was in the sand! After the bike stopped flipping and all was said and done my right rear tire and wheel was down the trail a long ways away from my bike!

After inspecting the hub it was obvious it failed at the cross drilled section where the pin attaches the hub to the axle. The hub is cast aluminum that is not very thick, that combined with cross drilling a hole in it makes them vulnerable to failure. After going online and talking with the manufacture (engineering department many times) they have upgraded this style hub to a much beefier version. Ofcourse they didnt want to help me out on the cost of new hubs to the tune of $150 each. I did buy the axle and hub used so I didnt have much ground to stand on but though i would try.

So I went back to a stock 250R axle with splined hubs. If anyone has an older splineless axle set up I would reccomend inspecting them for cracks!

The picture is where i slid the broken hub and wheel back over the axle for transport. Oh yeah it totally destroyed my wheel in the process.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-27-2012, 05:44 PM
By the looks of your sprocket hub it looks like you are running a Durablue??

Kind of suprised, they make good stuff. I have the Eliminator axle, splined. Didn't go with pinned hubs. Glad I didn't now.

Thanks for the heads up and glad you made it through relatively unhurt.

RTR318
06-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Yes sir Durablue it is. I think they make quality parts too. Im pretty sure this is a product that has been re-enginnered and made stronger with the new hub designs they offer. They make a billet and and cast hub that look much beefier than what i have. I think my hubs were first generation because the tech at Durablue told me they dont offer the hubs i had.

Yeah pretty much hurt my feeelings more than anything. I tore up a shoulder from piling it up but i walked away from it. I lost a top end in my 500R in the process due to the throttle stuck wide open when the bars were stuck in the ground. But hey it gave me a reason to tear it down, add some more HP and powder coat it. Nice ATC350R by the way!

It's almost finished and I will be posting pictures of the final product soon.

RapidRick
06-27-2012, 06:43 PM
pardon my ignorance, but the advantage(s) or preference for a splineless hub would be???

RIDE-RED 250r
06-27-2012, 08:24 PM
I think they are supposed to stay tighter for longer as opposed to splines that get sloppy over time. But if you pull the hibs and grease the splines every one in a while they last much longer. It's really a mantainence issue.

Thanks for the kind words RTR318! :beer

Keith Salyer
06-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Glad you weren't hurt.

RTR318
06-28-2012, 09:06 AM
They can also be adjustded quickly from 2" over stock width to 4" over stock width with an allen wrench. There are multiple crossed drilled holes in the axle for width options. I don't see a big benefit in that. Its not like you are going to do that while you are out riding.

RIDE-RED 250r
06-28-2012, 05:26 PM
They can also be adjusted quickly from 2" over stock width to 4" over stock width with an allen wrench. There are multiple crossed drilled holes in the axle for width options. I don't see a big benefit in that. Its not like you are going to do that while you are out riding.

Agreed.

Between my axle and the rims I'm running my R is 6" wider than stock. I can't really see any reason I would want to narrow it up for the type of riding I do. Much less do it when I'm out riding.

Drock
06-30-2012, 10:29 PM
thats the thing about cast aluminum, it doesnt bend it shatters.
glad you didnt get hurt though.
i personally would prefer splined vs non splined IMO