PDA

View Full Version : 83 atc 200e help

black widdow
06-28-2012, 03:17 PM
i recently was given an 83 200e i got it to run, idle and move but it has no power band it will go to half throttle and the start cutting out. i advanced the timing and went through the carb 4 times with no difference and it has good compression and also good spark. if anyone has any ideas that would be great thanks.

kb0nly
06-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Has to be fuel or spark related. Could be an advance problem since you said it goes to half throttle and starts cutting out. Whats the plug look like? Is it fouling and black? Or is it running lean? I would check the spark advancer, one my 84 200es it wouldn't advance because the weights were stuck and then it wouldn't always return due to weak springs once i got it lubed up and moving. I ended up replacing it because it was wore out, wobbly, and not reliable.

If thats all fine i would guess fuel problem yet, i know you said you have been through the carb 4 times, but what did you do? Did you clean every orifice, replace everything with a rebuild kit? The mixture setting on these is a pain in the butt. Did you get that mixture screw on the front bottom of the carb set right?

black widdow
06-28-2012, 05:52 PM
full carb rebuild and cleanse used about 2 bottles of carb cleaner, and the plug isnt fouling out its chocolate brown what it seems like what it may be doing is that the bowl is not keeping up with fuel consumption from the main jet

kb0nly
06-28-2012, 06:13 PM
That could be it, the petcock strainer could be plugged, how is the inside of the tank? Rusty or clean? I would dump the tank, pull the petcock, clean it, new o-ring, and put it all back together and put an inline filter between the petcock and the carb just in case.

I see now your in MN, where at??

black widdow
06-28-2012, 06:53 PM
i am just west of minneapolis and i replaced the tank and cleaned the one i got used i cleaned out the pick up and the pick up had rusty gas clogging it but i cleaned it throughly of all its rust and put a new gas line in it. i mean it couldnt be an airleak from the carb side because then it wouldnt idle as low could the decompressor be sticking to where it wont allow proper back pressure?

tri again
06-28-2012, 07:05 PM
atc 90 guy here.

I seen many with the spark advance plate corroded or stuck or springts broken.

do the 185-200 have an advance plate that supposed to rotate.

Maybe its stuck in advance and even tho it has gas and freakin spark the sob wont fire.

I got one of those right this moment so I goin back outside and fix the godblesse'd thing.

good luck

kb0nly
06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
If if was an air leak it would be running lean and like crap... If it was a decompressor problem it wouldn't idle for crap either. Although it wouldn't hurt to check the lash on the valves.

The 200 does have a spring and weight centrifugal spark advance, and they do get sticky. I just encountered the first worn out one on my 84, normally i get one that sticks or has a broken/missing spring, but in my case it was rattling so bad i thought i had a topend problem, just turned out to be a worn out spark advancer.

Ok on your location in MN... I was going to say well you got it free, sell it to me for a profit.. HA! Just ribbing ya i'm sure you will find the problem.

black widdow
06-28-2012, 08:52 PM
spark advancer had water and is shorting out i hope that a new one fixes it

kb0nly
06-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Try drying it out, and get everything in there dry. I take it you mean the pickup, the black plastic part thats mounted to the metal plate to set the spark timing? If that got water in it then i would put a new gasket on that cover and clean everything out in there really good. Also check your engine oil, make sure it isn't water logged just in case!

nateb1990
10-05-2012, 08:02 PM
hey i got an 83 honda 200 atc a few weeks ago. i have been restoreing it and im almost done. i have rebuilt the whole engine, brand new carb, new cdi, new air filter and lots of other new parts. i fired it up and it runs good at idle but when i try to ride it it has no power and will not rev up. i checked the plug and it was really black so i leaned it out but its still not wanting to rev. i checked the timeing advance mechanism and its working good. i have played with moving the pickup for the advance mechanism and only runs worse when i move it. i have been rebuilding quads, atcs and dirtbikes for a long time and this one just has me stumped. it seems like a fuel issue but i know its geting fuel by the black plug...any info would be great...thanks