PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning RUST out of tank?

mykdee
06-29-2012, 09:49 AM
What is the best process everyone has used, to get rid of the rust inside your gas tank?

hoosierlogger
06-29-2012, 10:01 AM
vinegar works well. Do a search in the search box and you will get so many results you will be more confused than you are now.

tulsamike3434
06-29-2012, 10:21 AM
I use about 45 marbles and shake the marbles in the tank for an hour and then I clean Clean the tank out with gas. Then I apply Red Kote!

RapidRick
06-29-2012, 10:57 AM
My choice is muratic acid, but be careful.

briano
06-29-2012, 12:39 PM
The muriatic acid works great, vinegar also works but it takes longer. The last tank I did, I used vinegar and let it sit for a few days. One tank I coated the inside and the other I just keep full of gas, so far both are holding up well.

rdlsz24
06-29-2012, 12:54 PM
POR-15 kit comes with everything you need to prep and coat the tank for about $50 on eBay

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/rdlsz24/ATC200x/Por15.jpg

Rob

kb0nly
06-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I vote for Muriatic acid also. Just make certain you flush it out well, baking soda and water rinses to neutralize finished by a final rinse of fresh water then alcohol and let it dry.

If its just old fuel residue and not rust i use E85, it dissolves the varnish buildup. I use E85 as a presoak for carbs, usually an overnight soak in E85 will loosen everything up and then i toss the carb in a can of carb dip for the rest of the cleaning. Just remember if you use E85 as a solvent keep it away from rubber components as it will degrade older rubbers unless its E85 approved.

gus
06-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Salt and vinege. I herd a coke does some wonders also lol?

VaTrikeGuy
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
All these Ideas are great,, the tanks on0 the 2 200s' I picked up both had surface rust inside,, but nothing to weaken the tanks, I actually used a container of bb's from the sports store and dumped about 2 cups of PB blaster and shook it up for about 20 mins and they were gleaming clean inside.

kb0nly
06-29-2012, 11:19 PM
All these Ideas are great,, the tanks on0 the 2 200s' I picked up both had surface rust inside,, but nothing to weaken the tanks, I actually used a container of bb's from the sports store and dumped about 2 cups of PB blaster and shook it up for about 20 mins and they were gleaming clean inside.

BB's work great for a tank cleaner. I used to buy big bags of the copper BB's, to soft to damage the tank but strong enough to clean, i would dump them in along with a half gallon or so of E85 and put it on a old paint shaker a painter friend of mine has, was loud as H E double hockey sticks, but it would take out even the worse rust. Now copper is so high priced that the local stores don't sell those plain copper BB's anymore, they are a blended pot metal type BB i think, they are not pure copper and don't dent as easy meaning they are harder. The soft copper BB's worked great because they were softer than the steel tank.