PDA

View Full Version : honda ignition parts interchange?

cutroc350
07-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Hi all. I just saved a 85 250sx from the scrap yard and its mostly complete except for the coil, cdi, starter solenoid, rear brake levers and cables, and front axle shaft. There is a early 80s big red 200 out there now with all of the missing parts I need. Question is will any work with my trike? I can pick what I need for $20 so this is a chance to save a good chunk of money. Thanks in advance for any info.

Flyingw
07-05-2012, 06:36 PM
No, the parts you need are interchangeable with the 250ES except for the front axle. Ebay is your best bet. Those parts are readily available at fair prices. Search ebay motors for atc 250sx and you will find them.

Flyingw
07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Most of the parts are availble aftermarket
coil, 20.00
cdi 25.00 used
solenoid 20.00
rear lever 15.00
cables 15-25.00 each
axle 35.00 used

these prices are rough estimates to give you an idea

cutroc350
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM
thanks for the quick reply! I have searched e-bay and see about $100 gone just try and get it running. It would be my luck that none of the big red parts would work with my machine. I have not even heard the 250ex run yet and figured I could at least use the coil off the big red. Is there any parts worth grabbing that could be used on the sx?

Flyingw
07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
no not really

kb0nly
07-05-2012, 11:51 PM
You could use the coil and CDI but it would take a little work to wire them up. Your probably better off buying a new CDI and coil and rewiring for those, starting with known good parts, for all you know the big red was parked because it quit running due to an ignition problem anyway.

Check out www.dratv.com he is the one i use for all my parts, just ordered some more stuff from him today for a friends project. He has the coils and CDI's, for $20 you can get a universal aftermarket one to rewire to, i just posted a thread on here about swapping the CDI on the 200ES, they are all about the same just wire to match.

cutroc350
07-06-2012, 03:11 AM
Thank you! www.dratv.com looks like I have a new addition in my bookmarks. I would much rather rewire for a new part than order a used one that might not even work. I have heard that the factory cdi can be prone to failure anyways.

kb0nly
07-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Thats what i have been doing as well. I went through three used ones on my 84 200ES before i said screw it and rewired for a new universal one, its been totally reliable since then. I did figure out what was causing the originals to fail but its just not worth messing with them when you can get a new CDI and connector for about $25.

Speaking of connectors... Here is another one for your bookmarks.

http://www.vintageconnections.com/

He has all the connectors commonly found on ATV/ATC's that you could possibly need. He has the CDI connector to with the latch if you need it, dratv has a connector kit to but his connector with the latch is out of stock and he only has the non-latching matched set right now. This site has the latching six contact CDI connector.