PDA

View Full Version : Atc 70..

spentar
07-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Ive been looking for an atc70 and im going to look at one soon. does anybody have some pointers on what to look at to see if its crapola, or good? any weak points or things that may stand out on the bike that isnt good. if anyone has any ideas feel free to help.

jb2wheels
07-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Rust in gas tanks because they sit so much.
Bad bearings - rear axle, front axle, steering head - $70 to buy + labor to replace.
Bent frame backbone - generally easy to fix.
Worn chain, sprocket, and tensioner.
Rear brake shoes separated - makes it hard to roll.
Missing pull starter - if it's missing, it's $150 - $200 to replace. I bought a ratty TRX 70 for $150 because it had the parts to put a pull start on a Lifan for my ATC 70.

spentar
07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah the one im going to go see has a leak in the gas tank (Pin hole thing), and i guess some carb work. Idk. Here are some photos the guy sent me. I have a guy that could weld the gas tank for me so that wouldnt be that much of an issue. tell me what you think. the guy told me the stuff on the one side is just dust. 150314150315150316150317

jb2wheels
07-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Looks complete. Can't tell much else from pics. It's all about price at this point.

hoosierlogger
07-08-2012, 09:18 PM
It looks to be in pretty good shape. It is a pain, but take the fenders and gas tank off to look at the frame. I bought one that looked good, but it had been bent and beat with a big hammer to straighten it out. They also welded rebar to the frame by the big dent from the hammer that they used to straighten it.

While you got the tank off shine a flashlight in and see how many holes are in it. they get pretty thin along the welded seam on the bottom.

Dont believe him when he tells you "it just needs the carb cleaned" I have bought a few that only needed the carb cleaned. Every one of them needed more than that.

If you cant hear it run, at least stick your finger in the pipe and see if it is oily. If there is oil in there get your negotiating hat on.

Other than that, it looks pretty good to me. What is he asking for it?

spentar
07-08-2012, 09:27 PM
yeah he was talkin $400 but i think i can get him down to $300. specially if i gotta buy a new carb, or clean or rebuild it. also he told me the compressions just under what it should be at. I cant realy say much speaking i havent seen it in person. Also hes pulling that trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro when hes saying "I havent started it in 3 years". when i go and see it ill ask if i could give it a try but he said when you put gas in it it leaks so he wont put gas in i think.

hoosierlogger
07-09-2012, 05:37 AM
IMHO $400 is too high. To me $200 is about right. If you cant hear it run, you are buying a non running machine. He hasnt started it in 3 years because thats most likely when the gas tank leak showed up. Or that could be when an ignition component failed. Take a little gas and pop bottle with a hose hooked to it and put it on the carb as a remote tank to try to get it started.

spentar
07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
yeah typically prices around where i live are a bit higher but im gonna offer him 300$ if i can here it run. what do i gotta do just disconect the fuel line and hook up the bottle to that?

coolpool
07-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Disconnect the fuel line to one of the petcock tubes on the carb; doesn't matter which. I believe they have a raised letter "O" for On and "R" for Reserve on the float casting. Hang or hold your bottle up above the carb float level and turn on the gas to the tube you selected with the petcock. If this doesn't work because the carb is gummed up,
1. pull the plug
2. check for spark, (yes), carry on to next step, (no), it's a non-runner and should be priced accordingly.
3. squirt a small amount of gas in the cylinder, install the plug and it should make some noise when pulled over.

spentar
07-09-2012, 04:59 PM
ok thanks. i hope the guy lets me do this if not ill just leave, because if it worked he probaly would have no problem trying to start it.

Cardone95
07-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Yeah, i have the same trike.. fixing a tank leak is the biggest Btrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro i've ever come in contact with. i can't think of a product that's worked for sealing tanks. i'm actually looking for a crf50/ 100 gas tank just because of the trouble thats been though with mine

spentar
07-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I have a guy who will do a weld for me because i dont own a welder. if not ive done jb weld on a mini bike gas tank and that worked wonders for me. Dont do a crf50 tank on it, it majes it look gay. no offence

spentar
07-10-2012, 02:40 PM
thanks for all the help everyone!

hoosierlogger
07-10-2012, 05:36 PM
thanks for all the help everyone!

Well did ya get it? I used solder on my 70 tank. Sand through all of the paint with sand paper down to the bare metal. There will be some pin holes covered up by the paint. I soldered them with regular old plumbing solder and flux. Then I gave the inside a muratic acid treatment, followed by a baking soda rinse, and a couple of acetone rinses. Then it got 2 coats of red kote tank liner. hasn't leaked a drop yet.

spentar
07-10-2012, 06:01 PM
yeah well ill see i might not even buy it. if at least gets spark ill probally just believe that it needs a carb clean,rebuild,etc. but yeah i could do that but my dads got a buddy who will weld that and another thing in trade for an old snow blower we have.

hoosierlogger
07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
my dads got a buddy who will weld that and another thing in trade for an old snow blower we have.

Sounds like a great deal for you both.