PDA

View Full Version : 5.7 Tundra gas mileage?

jays375
07-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Would like to know what owners of 5.7 Toyota Tundra get for fuel mileage?I heard that they weren't that good.

oldskool83
07-14-2012, 11:23 PM
any of the larger of the small block v8 should get about 15 max on a good day. try for 13 normal. pretty shitty i feel when i ran a 9" lifted dodge 5.9 on 35's and got 12.

Kintore
07-15-2012, 10:08 AM
I got a ext cab, long bed 2wd. 5.7

Work and back im getting 16.5 to 17. Ive hit 21.1 on the interstate but normally its about 19-20 doing like 70mph. Keep in mind this is the tundra computer I dont bother to work it out. Its a V8 its going to be rough. Ive also had it read 0.5mpg pulling a trailer up a hill with 5 bikes and 5 dudes in the cab, foot to the floor laughing the whole way haha

It is one hauling sum trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro though, LOVE the power and torque. I love my truck. They get a real bad fuel rep for some reason, its a V8. It gets better mileage than my ole dodge 318!

300rman
07-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Gotta love diesels....friend just got 17MPG in a lifted F-350 with the non-stock 6.0, pulling a 6000LB camper.

threewheelin-feelin
07-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Gotta love diesels....friend just got 17MPG in a lifted F-350 with the non-stock 6.0, pulling a 6000LB camper.

not a fan of diesels...i do agree they tow good and get pretty good mpg but when you factor in the extra cost to purchase a diesel..then factor in the much higher cost of parts to repair a diesel when they break..then factor in the fact that in most place diesel run 50 to 60 cent higher then regular i dont really see where you are saving the money...not to mention the fact that they are stuffed so tight into these little engine bays you have to the whole body apart just about to work on them...i also cant even begin to count how many people i know with the cummins that have had to replace the trannys at 100k..thats just my 2 cents lol

jb2wheels
07-16-2012, 07:58 AM
I actually did the math once...

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/137110-Truck-questions?p=1067087#post1067087

Short version: are a little cheaper to drive every day but cost a lot more up front

fabiodriven
07-16-2012, 10:15 AM
not a fan of diesels...i do agree they tow good and get pretty good mpg but when you factor in the extra cost to purchase a diesel..then factor in the much higher cost of parts to repair a diesel when they break..then factor in the fact that in most place diesel run 50 to 60 cent higher then regular i dont really see where you are saving the money...not to mention the fact that they are stuffed so tight into these little engine bays you have to the whole body apart just about to work on them...i also cant even begin to count how many people i know with the cummins that have had to replace the trannys at 100k..thats just my 2 cents lol

Owning a diesel is well worth it if you take your trucking as seriously as I do.

If you buy the right diesel it will almost never break down. The only ones I would buy personally are the Cummins 5.9 or the Ford (International) 7.3. I'm not a fan of GM anything. If you buy the Ford 6.0 or 6.4 and it breaks down you shouldn't be surprised. They're known to have problems and yes, they are expensive to fix. I don't know enough about the new Ford 6.7 or the new Cummins, but by rule of thumb you can't go wrong with a Cummins. The problem your friend had with his transmission is to be expected with a Dodge. They can't make an automatic transmission to save their life. That's not Cummins' fault though. I personally won't buy anything with an automatic transmission anyways. I prefer to stir my own gears and that takes one more point of failure out of the equation.

You do pay more for a diesel and there are many reasons for that. Just like with anything else in life, you get what you pay for. Diesel engines are over-built and they are that way for a reason. They are made to make a ton of power and do it for a long time. They make their power at low RPM's which means longevity for the engine because the parts are moving slower inside of it.

I have a 1999 F-350 4 door dually with 2 wheel drive and a six speed stick. It's made to do one thing, and that is haul. It continues to surprise me even after owning it for a year and a half now. It takes whatever I throw at it. I took it to Trikefest with a 3000lb truck camper on the back and a 16 foot enclosed trailer behind it. Toss in the driver plus two passengers and all of their gear for a week and we're talking about probably 16-18,000 lbs of truck and trailer going down the highway. It cruises at 75-80 in that configuration. I pass cars all day and it goes straight as an arrow. It passes other vehicles going up mountains. I don't know what the mileage is with that kind of load on it, but I'd guess I was getting about 10 mpg. If I wanted to drive at 60-65 it could easily get 13-15 even hauling that kind of weight. The 7.3 is known for its dependability, power, and great fuel economy. That truck will supposedly get 18-20+ with no load on it. I do not doubt that at all. Keep in mind, aside from a 4" straight pipe and a K&N filter in the factory air box, this truck is bone stock. I defy anyone with a gas job to do what my truck does and make it to over 200,000 miles like my truck has.

The diesel engine is far superior to gas in almost every fashion. You will see more and more of them as time goes by.

Now, back to the subject at hand.

The 5.7 Tundra is not going to be good on gas. Don't buy it if you're expecting to get good gas mileage, plain and simple. It's a full size pickup with a V-8 engine. Now if you want a pickup that would pull a house up the road, be better on fuel, and almost never break down, step up to the plate and buy a diesel.

rdlsz24
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
If you are worried about mpg don't get a full size V8 truck lol. I hate these tv commercials where they are splitting hairs, saying WE get 20mpg, the competition only gets 19!! Then if you read the fine print at the bottom that mpg is for a V6 2wd truck. How many of those do they even sell?

I have an 01 Ram with the 318. It is gutless and a pig on gas, but I don't drive it very much so it's ok.

Rob

jb2wheels
07-16-2012, 12:29 PM
If you are worried about mpg don't get a full size V8 truck lol. I hate these tv commercials where they are splitting hairs, saying WE get 20mpg, the competition only gets 19!! Then if you read the fine print at the bottom that mpg is for a V6 2wd truck. How many of those do they even sell?

I have an 01 Ram with the 318. It is gutless and a pig on gas, but I don't drive it very much so it's ok.

Rob

True!

That's why my 3/4 van sits in the driveway collecting dust and my crappy Civic gets driven everyday!

jays375
07-16-2012, 04:12 PM
My GMC Sierra gets just as good gas mileage as a V6 Tacoma.Does alot better towing also plus alot more power.Would love a diesel but just wouldn't use it enough to justify buying one.Came very close not to long ago.

fabiodriven
07-16-2012, 05:30 PM
My GMC Sierra gets just as good gas mileage as a V6 Tacoma.Does alot better towing also plus alot more power.Would love a diesel but just wouldn't use it enough to justify buying one.Came very close not to long ago.

Hold on a second here... What configuration Sierra and what drive train? If you've got the 6.0 there's no way you're getting near the mileage of a V-6 Tacoma. Even a 5.3 or 4.8 would be hard pressed to match that.

jays375
07-16-2012, 05:42 PM
It is a 2004 1500 Regular cab 8ft bed 4x4 with a 5.3.Driving locally I get 16-17 mpg no problem.Would like to know how much my toolbox weighs.I also have programed it with a Hypertech programer to run on regular grade gas.Also use Amsoil Signature Series full synthetic oil.Don't know the gear off hand but is maybe 3.73.

ctk
07-16-2012, 05:47 PM
mpg varies so much. Case in point, I have a 1979 dodge 3/4 ton maxivan. I was camped by crazy70man, kiser/big spect at trikefest this year. I had 3 trikes plus all of our camping gear. No trailor. 318 v8 2bl carb with a 727 tranny(3speed) I always get 16 mpg and change with it. 70-80 mph. I also have a 1978 jeep cherokee. full time 4wd with a 360 v8 4bl carb and a th400 tranny(3 speed) camping gear in jeep and a snowmobile trailer with a 200x and a big red. 75 mph I get 14 mpg regulary. Axle gears play a big part in mpg. If not offroading or towing alot no need for the steep gears 4.10 etc get the smaller 3.54 or such gear ratio.

beets442
07-16-2012, 07:11 PM
I have a 2000 Tundra 4X4 SR5 4.7L long bed with 188,000mi. K&N air filter, Tornado insert, BFGoodrich AT's 265/70 the largest tires you can get without rubbing.
Just took a trip to Wis. and it got 13-14mi. 3 people, totally loaded,hauling a 17ft bass tracker and gets 17-18mpg empty.

Dirtcrasher
07-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Owning a diesel is well worth it if you take your trucking as seriously as I do.

If you buy the right diesel it will almost never break down. The only ones I would buy personally are the Cummins 5.9 or the Ford (International) 7.3. I'm not a fan of GM anything. If you buy the Ford 6.0 or 6.4 and it breaks down you shouldn't be surprised. They're known to have problems and yes, they are expensive to fix. I don't know enough about the new Ford 6.7 or the new Cummins, but by rule of thumb you can't go wrong with a Cummins. The problem your friend had with his transmission is to be expected with a Dodge. They can't make an automatic transmission to save their life. That's not Cummins' fault though. I personally won't buy anything with an automatic transmission anyways. I prefer to stir my own gears and that takes one more point of failure out of the equation.

You do pay more for a diesel and there are many reasons for that. Just like with anything else in life, you get what you pay for. Diesel engines are over-built and they are that way for a reason. They are made to make a ton of power and do it for a long time. They make their power at low RPM's which means longevity for the engine because the parts are moving slower inside of it.

I have a 1999 F-350 4 door dually with 2 wheel drive and a six speed stick. It's made to do one thing, and that is haul. It continues to surprise me even after owning it for a year and a half now. It takes whatever I throw at it. I took it to Trikefest with a 3000lb truck camper on the back and a 16 foot enclosed trailer behind it. Toss in the driver plus two passengers and all of their gear for a week and we're talking about probably 16-18,000 lbs of truck and trailer going down the highway. It cruises at 75-80 in that configuration. I pass cars all day and it goes straight as an arrow. It passes other vehicles going up mountains. I don't know what the mileage is with that kind of load on it, but I'd guess I was getting about 10 mpg. If I wanted to drive at 60-65 it could easily get 13-15 even hauling that kind of weight. The 7.3 is known for its dependability, power, and great fuel economy. That truck will supposedly get 18-20+ with no load on it. I do not doubt that at all. Keep in mind, aside from a 4" straight pipe and a K&N filter in the factory air box, this truck is bone stock. I defy anyone with a gas job to do what my truck does and make it to over 200,000 miles like my truck has.

The diesel engine is far superior to gas in almost every fashion. You will see more and more of them as time goes by.

I was fortunate enough to go to TF12 (there and back with Dan added) with Fabiodriven and I never thought much of big trucks. That said, I was amazed at the power that diesel had, it was hauling one heck of camper and trailer and everything within. Not to mention the transmission giving you such confidence merely by how it felt and sounded.

I was impressed to say the least......

From what I've read on the Toyota forums I think your looking at 18 on the highway and 13 or so in town.

300rman
07-16-2012, 08:51 PM

Now, back to the subject at hand.

The 5.7 Tundra is not going to be good on gas. Don't buy it if you're expecting to get good gas mileage, plain and simple. It's a full size pickup with a V-8 engine. Now if you want a pickup that would pull a house up the road, be better on fuel, and almost never break down, step up to the plate and buy a diesel.

Aunt's Diesel VW gets 50MPG. No hybrid, complicated crap inside it either.

The trucks are overbuilt to the max. The international 7.3 was an amazing motor. The 6.0 was also an awesome motor AFTER the issues were addressed. More power than the 7.3 by far. But, required quite a bit of extra work to make reliable.

Know a few landscapers that pull 10,000 pound rigs daily with the 7.3, most have 200K+, and still run like a top.

Our 7.3 Excursion gets almost 30MPG on the HWY at 70. It isnt stock, but the pipe and programmer are the best things that you can do for it.