PDA

View Full Version : 1980 honda 110 build and questions

clmeue37
07-16-2012, 12:23 AM
I bought the 110 for $120 cleaned the carb and it runs really nice with no smoke but won't take full throttle and gas runs out the overflow due to the fact that the float is cracked and full of gas. I have a knockoff carb ordered that should be here later this week. I'll let you guys know if it solves the issue.

It had some ohtsu 22x11-8 balloon tires that (with 2.5 psi in all 3) stand about 24 inches tall! I hated them right away and replaced them with some wheels I had in the parts shed. The back hubs are now switched to a 4x130 bolt pattern. The front wheel is an ohtsu tire that held air on a 3 bolt rim (I have no idea where or when I acquired it but I am glad I had it laying around. Now instead of bouncing around like a basketball I can do donuts all day long:Bounce

A guy at work is interested in the balloon tires and hubs so I should be able to recoup some of my initial purchase cost :)

Also in the parts inventory is the front end of a honda 200s that will be getting cleaned up and bolted onto the 110. Those loose ball bearings are a pain though! I would have pulled the forks off the 110 already to mock it up but at the moment I have no extra tires on a 4 bolt rim :(

I also plan on making the headlight removeable to use as a spotlight/flashlight. Don't know if it will work yet but we'll see.

This thing is ugly and I have no plans of making it much prettier although I did stitch up the plastics yesterday which helped a lot.

Anyway I'll try and keep everyone updated as I go (pics soon once I figure out how to post them) and if you have any advice for me feel free to chime in! Thanks!

Quick question. What would you guys ask for if selling 3 ohtsu 22x11-8 balloon tires on extremely clean, two-piece rims with 2 hubs(3 bolt). They are not tubed and the rubber is not cracked or dry-rotted in any way and probably about 70% tread left?

clmeue37
07-17-2012, 01:09 AM
When I first got it.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/picture.php?albumid=11392&pictureid=42940
Look how close the front tire came to the head lol

Here it is in it's current state. Not much different. Sitting waiting for the new carb and air filter and possibly the 200s forks but those dang ball bearings are a pain!!!

http://forums.atvconnection.com/picture.php?albumid=11392&pictureid=42937

clmeue37
07-18-2012, 02:57 AM
Got the carb in the mail and hope to install it tomorrow and see how it works.

I'm also looking for a front fender if anyone has one to sell. I've looked on ebay and will keep looking.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/picture.php?albumid=11392&pictureid=42945

MonroeMike
07-18-2012, 06:53 AM
That's a YTM225 gas tank.

kb0nly
07-18-2012, 11:17 AM
I have a front fender from a 81 110, no cracks, but it shows some wear. If your interested i could get some pictures of it. Not sure what shipping would cost due to size, guess i could remove the mudflap to reduce the length and just bundle it up, some assembly required... LOL.

clmeue37
07-18-2012, 08:22 PM
I have a front fender from a 81 110, no cracks, but it shows some wear. If your interested i could get some pictures of it. Not sure what shipping would cost due to size, guess i could remove the mudflap to reduce the length and just bundle it up, some assembly required... LOL.

Does that fender bolt on the same way as the 1980 model? I'll send you a pm later tonight.

Anyway got the carb on this afternoon before work and it runs much better but still wants to bog down about mid to 3/4 throttle. If I raise the needle (lower the clip) would that have any desired affect? It doesn't bog much at all now but I still feel it.

shortline10
07-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Play with the needle and air fuel mix screw .

Does that fender bolt on the same way as the 1980 model? I'll send you a pm later tonight.

Anyway got the carb on this afternoon before work and it runs much better but still wants to bog down about mid to 3/4 throttle. If I raise the needle (lower the clip) would that have any desired affect? It doesn't bog much at all now but I still feel it.

clmeue37
07-18-2012, 08:51 PM
That's a YTM225 gas tank.

I thought it looked like a yamaha tank but wasn't sure. The PO cut a piece of 2x4 and notched it to fit between the frame and the tank otherwise the tank rests on top of the carb.

clmeue37
07-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Play with the needle and air fuel mix screw .

Will do. The way it acts I almost wonder if I don't need to go a size up on the main jet. I was always under the impression that the mixture screw was more or less for idle to 1/4 throttle whereas the clip position, needle taper, and main jet were more for 1/2 to full throttle respectively.

kb0nly
07-19-2012, 12:16 PM
I believe they all bolt on the same, but on the inside of your forks you have two bolt holes on each side for the fender right?

clmeue37
07-19-2012, 12:21 PM
I believe they all bolt on the same, but on the inside of your forks you have two bolt holes on each side for the fender right?

Yeah the fender would bolt using 4 bolts. 2 on each inside vertical fork tube (if that makes any sense)

clmeue37
07-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Haven't messed with the carb yet or anything to do with the 110 today. The uni air filter came in today so tomorrow before work I'll get that oiled up and put on, then I can play around with the carb some.

On another note...we finally got some rain! And you know what that means? MUD! :)

clmeue37
07-21-2012, 05:17 AM
Got the air filter oiled and installed yesterday and messed with the carb a bit. I left the clip on the needle in the same position and adjusted the mixture screw and that solved the problem of it wanting to bog down at mid throttle. Plug looks good about a medium brown not quite tan color.

kb0nly
07-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Medium brown is still ok... Ride it for a while, see what it looks like after a longer ride. Sounds like your getting closer!

clmeue37
07-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Yep I need to get a few extra spark plugs just to have around anyway so I'll start with a fresh one being that I didn't put a new one in when I got it.

I sold the wheels and rear hubs that were on it to a buddy of mine who just bought a Honda atc125m and he loves them...at least I don't have to look at them here and I'm now $50 ahead on this project :)

clmeue37
07-22-2012, 11:56 PM
This morning I installed a taillight on the 110. I took a piece of thin aluminum about 4"x6" and bent it at a 90 to make a bracket. I grabbed a marker light from work that measures 1"x4" and mounted that on my bracket. Then just had to drill 2 holes to mount it to the grab bar, hook up the wire and good to go! I'll get pics tomorrow or Tuesday since I'm working yet another 12 hour shift tonight :(

clmeue37
07-30-2012, 03:35 AM
Haven't had much time lately to work on this project but I have it tuned in and running great. Got the brakes adjusted up on it before going on a 45 minute ride yesterday and the thing never skipped a beat. Other than new grips I haven't added anything to the bike.

Now that it's in good mechanical condition it's time to start gathering parts to finish the restore. I've been watching craigslist for a parts bike as that may be my best source for parts. I need a tank badly and all the 110 tanks on ebay are either outrageously expensive or just too far gone for my liking.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows whether or not an atc90 tank would fit correctly on a 1980 atc110. I can find decent ones on ebay at decent prices compared to 110 tanks. They look so similar to each other so I'm hoping they're the same.

Ideally i'd like to find a parts bike locally, but if an atc90 tank will work I'll get one ordered. Thanks in advance for any knowledge you guys may have to share.

BTW I'll try to get some more closeup pics of how the PO has messed up the "non-mechanical" components of the bike. Such as the tank and the rear fender/seat mounting setup.

clmeue37
08-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Just realized the rear tires I have on this thing are similar to the much hated carlisle trail-pros that are so infamous on this site lol. They are Kenda Mud Puppy tires that truly suck in the mud but are great for just riding around. I got them with a bunch of parts I picked up for free. I have one good thing to say about them and that's the fact I don't think they will ever wear down!

clmeue37
08-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Painted the rear fender over the weekend. It turned out ok. I'm still trying to convince my wife that it needs new maier plastics :)

http://forums.atvconnection.com/picture.php?albumid=11392&pictureid=43071
http://forums.atvconnection.com/picture.php?albumid=11392&pictureid=43070
http://forums.atvconnection.com/picture.php?albumid=11392&pictureid=43072

PDADDY
08-06-2012, 10:55 PM
holy crap those gigantic it would be cool to see that trike float

clmeue37
08-07-2012, 12:14 AM
holy crap those gigantic it would be cool to see that trike float

Yeah I didn't like them so much lol. They are now on a 125m and knowing my buddy he'll be floating the creek soon. I'll get a vid next time we go riding. I steer clear of the deep water unlike him lol.

clmeue37
08-11-2012, 03:56 AM
Earlier this week I tried to remove the baffle from the silencer without success. I was however, able to get the bolt out that holds it in. Anyone have any tips on how to get it out without seriously damaging it?

I've also been considering an aftermarket exhaust setup and wondered where I should start looking and is the performance increase worth the swap?

Thanks again for your time and any input you may have.

clmeue37
05-16-2013, 05:08 AM
Been awhile lol. Here's an update. Bought an 81 atc110 with a bad frame. As it sits now it is composed of the 1980 frame, forks, front and rear axles, bearing carrier, grab bar, toolbox, seat, and handlebars. I used the 1981 motor and cobra exhaust, chain and sprockets(which were brand new from the previous owner), rear brake drum, headlight, taillight, wheels, gas tank, and front and rear fenders. I installed new uni air filter, new brake shoes, and new front and rear axle bearings. Rebuilt the recoil starter (should have painted it while I had it apart...oh well) and sandblasted and primed/painted the frame and all the guards/covers, footpegs, and skidplate. I was itching to ride it so I put it back together before painting the tank, forks, and exhaust. I'll pull those off later this summer when I get a chance and get them taken care of. Motor runs strong and doesn't smoke and shifts through all the gears nicely just needs a good cleaning when I break it down again. I'll get some better pics soon.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/picture.php?albumid=11815&pictureid=44463

http://forums.atvconnection.com/picture.php?albumid=11815&pictureid=44460

What method do you guys typically use for bringing some life back into the fenders?

What color will match the Honda red when I redo the tank and front forks?

Thanks for any input you guys may have. This 110 refresh has been a fun project so far. I find myself swinging my leg over this more so than my 230s and 200s :) Just an awesome little bike to cruise around on!

clmeue37
05-19-2013, 01:30 AM
I took the 110 out today for a quick run up and down our gravel road a few times. I just wanted to see what kinda top speed I could squeak outta the little Honda...

I used a GPS speedometer app on my phone which I have verified as being accurate within +/-1 mph compared with my pickup's speedometer. With the cellphone mounted to the handlebars and the trike warmed up I did a couple short runs before giving it everything it had. On level smooth ground my phone said I hit 49 mph and held it for about 7 seconds...I don't even know whether to believe this number or not...I knew I was going fast but I'm just not sure...I did pump the rear tires up pretty high (about 8 psi on that last run) just to see if it would make a difference but I didn't expect the GPS to show me that high of a number.

Go ahead and call me crazy but that was my result and I have no reason to believe it was a fluke. I'm not a speed freak I just wanted to see how capable this thing was and how it compares with others results. I'm going to pull the cover and check the gearing on the drive chain since I'm not sure if the previous owner had installed new stock ratio sprockets or if he went with a little bit smaller rear sprocket. I also don't know what, if anything has been done to the motor as far as performance mods other than the cobra exhaust and the uni filter.

Let's hear your opinion of my findings! It took a fair stretch of road to do it and I pushed it a just a little more than what I probably should have but then again it is a Honda :)

ps2fixer
05-20-2013, 05:52 AM
49mph is pretty crazy on a 110 :D My 250sx goes around 52-55 according to a quad with after market tires that are "about" the right size. It was Reving out more than being overpowered by the wind resistance. The speedometer in cars are generally off a bit and say your going faster than what you really are, but the distance meter is spot on. Verified that with my corolla, it is about 8% over, so 55mph i'm really doing about 51. Older cars are generally more accurate oddly, as long as the speedo is in good shape (same test with my dad's 89 mazda truck). Maybe it is just a toyota thing lol.

barnett468
05-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Hello clmeue37

I could easily be wrong but the typical GPS is accurate to within around 15-50 feet and the cell phone triangulation is accurate to around 200 yards. Therefore even though the GPS is more accurate than the cell phone it most likely can’t be any more accurate than the system it is used through which in this case is the cell phone.

With this in mind it is quite likely your cell phone GPS reading is off at least a little but since it matched your truck it should be pretty close, maybe within 5 mph as a wild guess.

Either way a very cool test and I think that anyone that is brave enough to ride a 110 3 wheeler anywhere near 49 MPH is far braver than I am, lol.

ps2fixer
05-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Hello clmeue37
Either way a very cool test and I think that anyone that is brave enough to ride a 110 3 wheeler anywhere near 49 MPH is far braver than I am, lol.

I second that, the 250sx has suspension in my case :D I don't think I would want to do it with the no suspension models.

Now @ the gps talk

I'm pretty sure the GPS systems are probably accurate to +/- 1 mph, sure one reading could be 5mph off, but they don't show instant readouts but dealyed, averaged ones. The same thing goes with my "instant" MPG gauge for my car, it reads fuel and air flow to estimate the fuel used at the current conditions, but is is averaged over more than 1 reading of the sensors.

I could be wrong, but that is my understanding of them systems and I'm a hobby programmer, computer tech, and like to research random tech type of stuff. The mpg gauge I used is open source so I could verify in the source code, but I'm not quite that worried about it :D. I do know car computers read the sensors something like 1000 times per second and they average the results since things change rapidly.

barnett468
05-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Hello clmeue37

I personally would be a lot more worried about holding onto the bars and avoiding ANY bumps than what speed I was going at that point. Again my hat is off to you, guess I'm just getting old, lol.

ps2fixer

Thanks for the info but just curious, do you know for sure if a regular gps by itself is more accurate than a cell phone one due to the inability of the cell to locate within less than approx 200 yards where as the gps is 15-50 feet? Not that I'm going to need to see how fast I can go on an atc 110 anytime soon, lol.

ps2fixer
05-20-2013, 08:07 AM
I havn't personally watched how a cellphone does it, but it seems like most devices actually use the GPS antenna instead of the cellphone towers. only example of this is the tablet my dad bought lately, it uses 3 different antennas, wifi, gps, and cell. So going off that, I would suspect the hardware would be about the same accuracy, but cell phones are a bit low on processing power, so it might not average as many readings.

clmeue37
05-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Let's just say that was the first and last top speed test for me on the 110. The road is extremely level straight and very smooth and the trike handled well. That being said I just won't push that little bike to that limit again.

I compared the GPS app to the speedometer in my 09 silverado. There was almost no lag at all on the apps part during slow, fast, and hard acceleration. Not once did I get a reading that seemed to be way high or considerably different from the pickup. One cool feature on my phone is that your speed can be shown on a graph. I wish I had taken a screenshot and put in up on here. You can see the acceleration curve over time, the total distance traveled, and your average and top speed.

clmeue37
05-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Lol with 8 psi in the rear tires I was a little nervous :) any small bump probably would have thrown me. 49 mph or not it was still quite the rush on an unsuspended atc.

Ok so quick update. I have a spare left hand controls box (kill switch/headlights) from a 200s that I'm going to put on the 110. I also have a thumb throttle box without a kill switch to replace mine that does. I've always liked the newer kill switch anyways. Pictures to come tonight or tomorrow.

ps2fixer
05-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Let's just say that was the first and last top speed test for me on the 110. The road is extremely level straight and very smooth and the trike handled well. That being said I just won't push that little bike to that limit again.

I compared the GPS app to the speedometer in my 09 silverado. There was almost no lag at all on the apps part during slow, fast, and hard acceleration. Not once did I get a reading that seemed to be way high or considerably different from the pickup. One cool feature on my phone is that your speed can be shown on a graph. I wish I had taken a screenshot and put in up on here. You can see the acceleration curve over time, the total distance traveled, and your average and top speed.

I think that would be pretty cool to see actually, if enough people have the app, we could have an online based race giving the correct math etc, or just a top speed compare :D

clmeue37
04-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Finally swapped a 200s front end on. Still need to buy another fender. The one in the pic is from my 85 200s.