PDA

View Full Version : Almost attacked by a Black Bear ...... Update 7 /21

atc007
07-17-2012, 11:30 AM
So,the Blueberries are ripe here. My neighbors have a great patch we used to pick. They are flatlanders from Jersey and Iowa of all places. Great guys,,but mowed all the bushes!!! WHY?? Heck if I know! Sad part is I've been going to ask them for years if I could take the bucket tractor over and dig some out to plant here. Anyhow,the neighboring pasture is also loaded,and they are nice folks. My family has been jonesing bad to come pick,So I told them I would go over and check the berries for them. I noticed on 3 bushes that the Bears had been in them,they pull them down,usually breaking or injuring the branch.So,I'm picking away,,all is well for a FEW minutes in my world,when,,I here this Sound,,loud as a freakin plane crash. I WISH I could replay it. It wasn't a roar or that much of a growl,it was a growl,,but way more. Within about a second I realized it was a Bear,,as it chattered it's teeth and smashed it's jaws and threw slobber everywhere. It was about 15 feet from me,in the bushes. It was 12 o clock to me,the bike was 10 o clock. I screamed at it while beatin feet to the Big Red. I now remember,it did NOT run or take off. It is territory where for the last many years,a BIG Momma has 2 cinnamons and 1 black cub ,,at least twice now. I haven't talked a lot to the neighbors or been out riding enough to know about this year. But my educated guess is,,it was her w cubs! Bad news. It was really cool,but could have been the fight of my life..I will now be packin heat to go blueberry picking. And making noise! That's how Shania Twain started her singing career. Anyone else know that!? Singing in the bush to keep the bears away. True story.

ATC-Eric
07-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Pretty crazy! Glad you didnt get mauled. Did you at least get away with your berries?

atc007
07-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Didn't spill a one :naughty:,,Can't say that the Big Reds engine was warmed up properly for the WFO get away though .. yeah,,I was looking behind me. I've seen it on TV a 100 times,,when the slobbers landing at your feet,,,it's a little different! Noone wants to go with me now,,I said,we'll all be talking,there will be noise and we'll be fine. They don't see it that way.

rjs89ia
07-17-2012, 01:01 PM
lol id go with my AR, no problem id just be sure to leave the kick start out on my R tho just incase we get ambushed

BeersBuds&Mud
07-17-2012, 02:02 PM
I go up to the U.P. to hunt morels in the spring(this happened 4yrs ago) and come face to face with a monster of a black bear!! the trike was about 100yrs away and the bear walk with my the hole way back!! i did what you did, yelled, stomped my feet, and CRYED a little:(!! Got on the trike, kicked it over and when it started up the bear didnt like that at all. he come running and stop about 10feet away, stood up and gave one of the biggest roars i have ever heard!! It scared the sh!t out of me.. thats when the 200x take off and i was to scared to look back.(good thing i wasnt on the 125 suzuki, i would be died right now lol) i dont know if he ran after me or what!! i still have nightmares about it to this day!! after that i NEVER NEVER go morel hunting without my "snub nose 45" on my hip!!!

El Camexican
07-17-2012, 02:21 PM
You're a lucky guy! My brother-in-law was running in B.C. a couple weeks back and ran into a couple grizzlies... and stopped to take pics! He's lucky there were well fed.

bkm
07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Bill I wish I could remember your story but every time I read it and get to the Shania Twain/Bush part I lose all focus:D

JK man I'm glad that you made it out.

badass350x
07-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Bill I wish I could remember your story but every time I read it and get to the Shania Twain/Bush part I lose all focus:D

Lmao,,, Thank god Bill you got away, Somebody's watching over you! Wish a bear WAS the only thing I have to watch out for! We have the drug cartel as well as the Illegal's coming from all directions! Hell you cant even go camping anymore.. just keep Iron on ya for sure next time!!!!!

atc007
07-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Doesn't get much better than her... My buddy's one of these guys that goes to Music fest and all that. Every concert that comes around. He saw her in Syracuse and said she is hands down. the BEST concert he ever saw.

atc007
07-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Lmao,,, Thank god Bill you got away, Somebody's watching over you! Wish a bear WAS the only thing I have to watch out for! We have the drug cartel as well as the Illegal's coming from all directions! Hell you cant even go camping anymore.. just keep Iron on ya for sure next time!!!!!

Yeah,,wow,,I'll take a bear over them ANY day of the week! What a shame.

jays375
07-17-2012, 06:02 PM
What did you do with your underwear?They had to be permantly soiled.It was more than likely a sow and there was cubs nearby.Or you scared it as bad as it scared you.I had one climb a tree while archery hunting.I let it get a few feet away and hollered at it.Went down the tree as fast as it came up.They are a neat animal but I think the population is a little big.Really showing up in more rural areas.With in a weeks time I had a sow with 3 cubs,a sow with 2 cubs,a single bear.Since the heatwave things have slacked off.Past few years there is around 6-7 different ones around.

atc007
07-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Ehh,I was born and raised here. No problem,,I'm not saying I didn't HAUL ASS oughta there. I did. She was PISSED. I just wish that 1st sound was on tape. It was Mechanical??!!! It was. Not sure what she did. But damn it was loud. A customer asked what 4 wheeler I had,I said,quad? I woulda been dead! I had to turn around TOWARDS her in the trail,,there wasn't enough room to turn a quad around there! It's thick. Good day,I'm still alive ,and I got some work done I'd been wanting to get to.,

Dirtcrasher
07-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Better than a damn chimpanzee or some looney on bath salts :lol:

Glad you got out of there, seems like you take care of allot of you family :beer

BeersBuds&Mud
07-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Better than a damn chimpanzee or some looney on bath salts :lol:

Glad you got out of there, seems like you take care of allot of you family :beer

hahahaha!! to funny.. but that sh!t is crazy to think it makes a person eat another persons face!! ill stick to the beer:beer

coolpool
07-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Ehh,I was born and raised here. No problem,,I'm not saying I didn't HAUL ASS oughta there. I did. She was PISSED. I just wish that 1st sound was on tape. It was Mechanical??!!! It was. Not sure what she did. But damn it was loud. A customer asked what 4 wheeler I had,I said,quad? I woulda been dead! I had to turn around TOWARDS her in the trail,,there wasn't enough room to turn a quad around there! It's thick. Good day,I'm still alive ,and I got some work done I'd been wanting to get to.,

Bears will make a "popping" sound with their mouths when pissed. Maybe that's what you heard? Glad you're here to talk about it.

atc007
07-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Ya know,,I'm not gonna lie. Like I said,,I was born and raised in the woods. Being around nature is common place to me. But,looking back at yesterday,,I am one lucky SOB. Honestly,,,everything that happened,,except the slobbering,fits a Bigfoot encounter!! The 1st noise wasn't popping. I've seen that on tv Pete. It was,,well,she broke something,, I guess a BIG tree? I will have to get back over and look. It was mechanical breaking,,but LOUD !!! Then all the other nashing and grinding and slobbering was textbook. We'll be making noise next time! No kids either.

atc007
07-21-2012, 01:45 PM
So,the ladies are here,,ready to pick berries today. I think,,I'll call my buddy,who's home is Maybe 275 Yards behind where my encounter was. LONG story short. The owners of the property are FEEDING these Bears,,have been 2 years. Mowed paths for them to get back to the feeders. Game cam running. The guy went down to my buddies a few months ago to show him ALL this beautiful footage.. NINE DIFFERENT Bears. FOUR in one pic,,all getting along,, the Cinnamons and Momma I had suspected..My friend said,,Ahh,,,you have this in MY FREAKIN BACKYARD,,and just now ,are telling me?? What if I ,,ohh,,go for a WALK?? And run into this MOB of Gigantic freakin bears that are completely Comfortable around humans,,no less,,WAITING for them to bring feed back in???? THEN,,his other neighbor ,who lives up on a hill overlooking my friends house.. Says,,man,,HOW are you growing those cattle sized bear down there??? He said,,well, All I knew was,,my dog has a certain growl for Bobcats,Coyotes,Mountain Lion,,but he's really been carrying on the last cpl years most of the night and I had no clue why,,Till now.. We're born and raised here,he said a few of these whoppers are absolutely 650++. He said I wouldn't pick no Fn berries over there with my 50 cal,, too mention bringing ladies over. I said no worries,,I'm not going into a bears nest to pick berries! If I had some time,,I would go over and video,,we'll see. I KNEW when that SOB didn't flea the other day ,,it just did not feel right.

coolpool
07-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Is he allowed to feed the bears outside of hunting season (ie baiting)? Not a very smart thing to do. Sounds like that crack pot who lived with the grizzlies for a while until one of them snapped and killed him.

atc007
07-22-2012, 12:37 PM
You know,,We've { obviously!!] been talking about this a LOT. I think he IS legal feeding,,so long as no season is in.. Our only Game warden for the county is a friend of mine,and I'm gonna run it by him.. Here are OUR concerns,,,this feeder is less than a mile as the crow fly's.If he Does shut him down,,where are these monsters gonna come hunting for food now?!! Obviously,,us and our neighbors. They can trap and relocate,but kind of doubt this would be that situation Until they start coming around homes. I Do know he is in BIG BIG trouble if they hunt ANYTHING on that property. We're talking time and fines in the tens of thousands here. Some around here have found that out the hard way : ).