PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Honda 200e "Big Red" Oil coming out of the pull-start hole

cdriscollmeir
07-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I reassembled my trike with the proper recoil and she started up first pull. However, After it sat for a bit and I went to start her up, I noticed that there was oil flying out of the hole when I pulled the cord. I don't imagine that should happen :) So I'm hoping that someone can point me in the direction of an o-ring or some other gasket (and part number if possible) so that I can get in there and replace it. I really have no idea what would cause this, and hope it's not too hard of a fix!

dustrunner
07-17-2012, 03:48 PM
your right, that's not supposed to happen. i have replaced many pull starters of a honda and never had any oil anywhere... did you hear the engine run before ? was the pull cord on it when u got it ? is it a honda pull cord ???

cdriscollmeir
07-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Yes--the e-start was working (now it's not)--separate issue. Rode it a few miles and all was fine. My buddy said he started it a bunch with the pullcord and it was fine. Yes it is a honda oem recoil for the model. I pulled it the other day and it started right up, but oil came out and the knot on the handle came undone so there I was holding it as the rope went back in. I will have to open her up to reattach the handle anyway and will get a better look at it, but my friend said the same thing as me--why is there oil coming out of there? Any ideas?

kb0nly
07-17-2012, 06:48 PM
There is an oil seal behind the piece that the recoil engages in the side cover, there is also an o-ring on the bolt that holds it to the crankshaft. Chances are if your getting oil in the recoil its that seal.

cdriscollmeir
08-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Would that oil seal be # 27 on the parts finder link below?

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/home.aspx#/Honda/ATC200E_A_(83)_ALL-TERRAIN_VEHICLE_(ATV)%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_JH3TB051-DC203548/LEFT_CRANKCASE_COVER_%2b_ALTERNATOR/ATC200E-83-JPN-A/2Y18958CE18958C12A

kb0nly
08-15-2012, 02:44 AM
Yes, yes it would! Get a new o-ring for the bolt too and you should be good to go. You will also need a gasket for the side cover to remove it and replace that seal.

Big-B
08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
In question to u I have a 1983 Honda 200 every one asks me is it an electric start I say no, but could there have been one on it and what would I have to.do to replace it?

cdriscollmeir
08-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Is there a "start" button on your handlebar switch under the "run" switch and headlight switch? That would be the easiest way to check. I doubt anyone would have switched out the handlebar switch on a 200E to one without the button if it did at once have an electric start. As I understand, the ATC 200E is electric start, and the ATC 200 did not come with one.

kb0nly
08-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Check the engine... Is there a starter and a bump out for it to sit by the recoil starter? If no then no.. If yes then yes.. LOL Simple as that.