PDA

View Full Version : Honda Big Red 250es

caleb5161
07-17-2012, 09:54 PM
This last weekend I bought a 1985 Honda Big Red 250es for $150.00, Come to find out it needed a lot more than I though. Got it going yesterday after cleaning the carb. and spark plug and it runs, great actually but there seems to be a scraping noise inside the cylinder. I have no idea what it is, Anyone have any ideas? This ATC had been sitting for 10 years and I was hoping to bring it back to life.

Flyingw
07-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Change the oil and filter first and foremost. Dont run it until you do.

caleb5161
07-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Ok I just started it yesterday haven't touched it since. Also the BR is missing third gear in the transmission almost as if its going into neutral. Is there a way I can replace just that gear? or have the transmission in it rebuilt? Getting paid tomorrow do more to it then.

tri again
07-18-2012, 03:10 AM
x2 with flying w

do a couple oil changes.

Shifting probs are rarely internal
(case split)

Get a
service manual

use the search key for shift problems 250
ak TONS of pictures before you disassemble.

Mose of the complicated stuff is under the shift side cover so get a gasket.
commonly known as 'shift linksgae with 1,000million tiny parts.

Lay trike on its side, pull left cover

Turn off the phone, warn friends to not try and help and have a look.

Make sure you take tons of pics.
The service manual only tell us to reassemble in reverse order.

We ALL need to know the answer to this.

ps
first pic is right (wrong side)
the other 2 are what you'll be looking at.

tiny springs that can fly into oblivion across the most sterile garage / workshop.

kb0nly
07-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Most likely its a problem in the left side like tri posted, been there done that, its a PITA!!! Lots of parts to deal with. As he said lots of pictures. I laid down a painters drop cloth and laid out all the parts on that as i took it apart, to keep them clean as possible. Took a lot of time and work but got it taken apart and put back together replacing the broken parts.

As he said also, do a couple oil changes. Did it sit a long time? I would have flooded the cylinder with some oil and spun it over without the spark plug in to lube up the cylinder. The scraping noise your hearing might be the rings going over a rusty area of the cylinder, could be worse of course but lets hope for the simple. I revived a 185 that sat in a shed for 15 years or so without running. First thing i did was drain the fuel tank, drop the oil, clean the carb, spray a large amount of WD-40 in the cylinder and slowly turn it over by hand a few times. Then i put it all back together, fresh oil, fresh fuel, new spark plug, fired right up. Made a bit of a scraping/grinding noise from the cylinder that went away after a ride around the yard, then i dumped the oil again and found some rust flakes, took two oil changes and some riding time to get the oil to stay clean, by that i mean the fresh oil wouldn't be black right after a short ride.

Also you want to take the service manuals maintenance section and regard it as the manifesto of trikedom... Do everything it tells you to. No telling how long its been since all those maintenance items were done!

Keepah Rolln
07-18-2012, 01:37 PM
The scraping noise could be rust in the piston area from sitting for years. Not sure if it would help to put a little oil down there..

tri again
07-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Any chance it sounds like a chain slapping or rubbing?
I've seen some people post video with audio to help figure it out.

It would sure be nice to fix the sift problem before sinking any real $$ into it.
Hopefully the shift problem is a 10$ part or a loose 'pin' type bolt that backed out.