PDA

View Full Version : 200s which way is choke?

wellsk
07-19-2012, 05:54 PM
HEY ALL, a few more questions, i just got my 1984 200s back together with fresh carb rebuild and new spark plug. It ran great for the first few minutes then it started bogging and not idling and it fouled the damn plug. I was just wanting to double check some things, first off, to turn the choke on do you push the lever all the way up or all the way down? and would the fact there was no air filter on it when i was test running it (in a clean shop) have anything to do with the bog. I just cant figure this thing out the carb was just cleaned! new plug! cleaned out the tank! Ran fine the first time,Now it wont idle and you have to keep on the throttle just to keep it running!!:mad:

hoosierlogger
07-19-2012, 06:07 PM
up is choke down is open. Is there any chance you put a wire through the jets when you cleaned them?

wellsk
07-19-2012, 06:12 PM
thanks! nah no wire, i just sprayed carb cleaner through them and blew em out. Im going back out and checking valves and the cam chain. Idk what to make of it, my headlight is really dim even when its running but idk if that would mean anything

hoosierlogger
07-19-2012, 06:43 PM
thanks! nah no wire, i just sprayed carb cleaner through them and blew em out. Im going back out and checking valves and the cam chain. Idk what to make of it, my headlight is really dim even when its running but idk if that would mean anything

If it is fouling the plug it is getting too much gas or is getting oil fouled. It doesn't smoke by any chance does it?

Perhaps the previous owner cleaned the jets with a wire and made them too big?

wellsk
07-19-2012, 09:17 PM
nah it doesn't smoke at all, i pulled the new plug i just put in it and it was black, could it be a timing issue? i havnt checked it yet or maybe the valves are too loose? it doesn't chatter tho. all I know is i put the freshly cleaned carb in it and it ran like a champ for five minutes or so then i came back an hour later and started it and it was boggy and fouled. I would assume it would have to be a carb issue i guess ill just get a new one cause I'm tired of screwing with it. Im gonna crack a few brews and mess with it tonight ill post some pics tomorrow thanks for the help

kb0nly
07-20-2012, 01:17 AM
If the plug is black its running too rich. Try to lean it out with the mixture screw on the front bottom of the carb. If that doesn't help then the jets are too big or your exhaust has issues, also check your intake and air filter, make sure its breathing good. Running too rich either means she ain't breathing right or the carb is dumping in too much fuel.

If messing with it don't get you anywhere buy a new carb. For the cost of a new carb off eBay you could get a rebuild kit but then your still stuck with an old carb that is worn. Sometimes it just easier to replace!

wellsk
07-20-2012, 08:50 PM
well i found the problem. I went to take the gas tank off and when i disconnected the fuel line and forgot to turn the gas off..nothing came out so i turned it to reserve and gas started pouring out. So ya it was basically out of fuel. I filled it completely and whaddya know...no problems ugh:crazy:

hoosierlogger
07-21-2012, 07:11 AM
HA HA I have done that before, but it was on the gas tank vent on my 110. Kind of makes you feel a little stupid huh? I know it did to me, especially since I pushed it a half mile up and down hills to get home.

At any rate glad you found the problem. If your plug is black, it is still a little rich. You might still look into the idle screw adjustment.