PDA

View Full Version : 1984 ATC 200ES Rear Brake and Crankcase Breather Hose Questions

G_Nuts
07-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Hello All;

I recently purchased a 1984 ATC 200ES "Big Red" for $500 primarily to get around my deer lease. I originally had no plans of restoring it or tricking it out but now that I've got it...I'M OBSESSED!!! It's been a blast to work on and a good stress reliever after work.

Anyways, here's where I'm at currently:

1.) Previous owner recently (last 6 months) replaced the battery, starter, ignition coil and flywheel.

2.) I Replaced and lubed all the brake cables.

3.) I Replaced the carburetor, fuel filter, spark plug and air filter and reset cam timing.

4.) I Drained and changed all fluids.

My next two obstacles are the rear brakes and replacing and/or rerouting the crankcase breather hoses.

Question 1 - The problem I'm having with the rear brakes is that the cam that engages the shoes is almost completely seized up. If you really mash down on the foot brake you can get the brakes to engage but when you let off tension, the cam does not disengage. I have to use a hammer on the arm that the cables attach to in order to get the brakes to release. How would you proceed?

Question 2 - The hoses that attach to the 3 way breather (retarded design by the way) are completely shot and finding an OEM or NOS replacement has been impossible. Is there a specific type/size of hose I could buy and cut to length to fix this myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gary

kb0nly
07-20-2012, 08:08 PM
1. Disconnect the brake cables from the rear brake cam arm, get some penetrating oil and spray around the shaft the arm is on and work it back and forth and try to free it up. It might also be a problem on the brake side, you will need a 41mm wrench to remove the axle nuts to get the brake drum off to access the brakes. I bought a 41mm wrench that goes on a 3/8" breaker bar off eBay to get this accomplished. Just lube it all up and get it moving! It could also be weak brake springs, the springs between the shoes as well as the spring around the cam inside is responsible for the return action of the brakes, you just have to tear it apart and check everything. I got lucky and it was just a bad hand brake cable on mine.

2. I had to replace them on my 84 200ES as well. I bought some rubber heater hose at the local auto parts store, i forget what size i think it was 1/2" for the larger piece from the crankcase to the T and from the T going down the frame, i used the original plastic hose T, then for the upper line that goes up across the frame by the battery i used a short 3 inch piece of the larger size hose then a reducer which has a barbed fitting on both sides and went down to the smaller size, i think that was 3/8". Just use what you can find for hose, its not under a lot of pressure so any rubber tubing will work.

I agree its addictive... I take mine for a spin whenever i need to blow off a little stress.