PDA

View Full Version : '84 200ES Big Red - Quiet Exhaust Options

G_Nuts
07-21-2012, 11:40 AM
I've scoured the internet and read many posts on here about exhaust options. The DG exhaust (04-2108) seems to be the most readily available and wallet friendly but I'm concerned about how loud it may be. I use my Big Red primarily for hunting so obviously the quieter the better. If there is not an aftermarket non-performance type exhaust out there, do any of you have any suggestions on how to possibly quieten down the DG system?

Keepah Rolln
07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
I've scoured the internet and read many posts on here about exhaust options. The DG exhaust (04-2108) seems to be the most readily available and wallet friendly but I'm concerned about how loud it may be. I use my Big Red primarily for hunting so obviously the quieter the better. If there is not an aftermarket non-performance type exhaust out there, do any of you have any suggestions on how to possibly quieten down the DG system?

Not sure how loud dg is but stock exhaust would probably be alot more quiot..Someone on here probably knows where theres one for sale!!

G_Nuts
07-21-2012, 12:34 PM
The problem with the stock exhaust is most of the ones I've found have been beat to hell and the ones that aren't are a small fortune. I like the performance benefits of an aftermarket exhaust but could do without the increase in volume. That being said, I read another post on here that stated the DG exhaust wasn't much if any louder than his rotted out stock exhaust. More than likely the same will hold true for me but for hunting purposes I sure wish I could find a quieter system.

kb0nly
07-21-2012, 08:52 PM
That would be my post... My stock exhaust was rotted out, and honestly the DG is a bit quieter than the stock was. As for getting one quieter... The only other thing you could do is make an exhaust. I saw one 84 when i was searching online for ideas that had a small tractor muffler on it sourced from the local farm supply store. Listening to a video he had of it on youtube i can say it was honestly louder than my DG is, in that it had a raspy buzzy tone to it. The DG is more of a bassy low tone muffler, at idle and slow speeds its pretty quiet, open it up full throttle and yes it can be loud, but so can the stock exhaust.

I should try and get a decent video of mine so you can hear it.

G_Nuts
07-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the info!!! I'm probably going to go forward with the DG exhaust. I'm obviously not racing around the deer lease at wide open throttle anyways so if it's relatively quiet at idle and low throttle, that will be perfect for me.

independent77
07-22-2012, 06:20 PM
i have a cobra style exhaust that i picked up used.
the previous owner welded a bung at the tail to screw in a large lawnmower style muffler.
quiets it down a whole lot.