PDA

View Full Version : 84 big red starting issues

suthnr
07-21-2012, 04:46 PM
ok so heres the scoop, my dad has had the wheeler pretty much all my life and now it is fauling spark plugs
like crazy. he said it would run like crazy then all of a sudden it would just faul the plug. so i got it to work on it and he has recently had the timing done and carb worked on but the card is at the lowest setting. i am in
arkansas so i am not sure what it should be set at. its a 60 jet idk if that was stock or not like i said i jest got it and started messing with it. the plugs are black as night when they faul so i know its way too rich. can n e
body give me info on the basics about them. now it is turning over and when i give it gas it studdars and dies. my guess is the carb but i don't think the jet is set right. thanks

kb0nly
07-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Try pulling off the muffler...

My 84 200ES was doing the same, i fought the carb for days, rebuilt it, put a new carb on and it got a little better but still fouling and wouldnt rev up smoothly. My muffler was shot and the packing moved around the muffler. I put on a new DG exhaust system and it was perfect, not running rich anymore, and not fouling plugs. So if the carb work doesn't help investigate the exhaust!