PDA

View Full Version : Stator ?

jeigsk
07-22-2012, 01:52 PM
How do u know if stator is bad. It act like the choke is on. But choke is not on. New carb so it not carb.throttle cut out in high end.

Flyingw
07-22-2012, 03:34 PM
on what trike?

jeigsk
07-22-2012, 05:34 PM
185 s honda

hoosierlogger
07-22-2012, 06:41 PM
The service manual will have that information. I am not sure if you can access that section of the forum yet though.

jaredc00
07-22-2012, 08:52 PM
You measure the resistance between wires coming off the stator. Mine is a YTM200N and it measures around 190 ohms between two wires and 400 between the other two. Not sure what yours should read. Check this link: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/ In your particular manual you will find specs on what the resistance should be coming off your charge coil (stator). Good luck!

briano
07-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Is your new carb jetted properly?

Flyingw
07-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Disconnect the black/red wire coming off the stator. Measure between the black/red wire (stator side) and ground. Put your meter on 1X resistance and measure the resistance. It should read 245 ohms. Be sure to check your chassis ground. This is where the harness bolts to the frame. A floating ground may cause problems such as this with a weak ignition. If I recall, this connection is on the metal frame of the coil up under the fuel tank. Be sure the ignition coil is clean where it mounts to the frame as well. Check these things and report back.

jeigsk
07-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Is your new carb jetted properly?I think so. It does it with two other carbs I have. I got the new carb off eBay. I bought another carb off the same seller about year ago and it did not have as much power. the jet could be wrong because I took the jet out of the old one and ran faster. This for 200 x and with the wrong jets it did not act this. When it cut it worse then when the wrong jets r in.

jeigsk
07-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Disconnect the black/red wire coming off the stator. Measure between the black/red wire (stator side) and ground. Put your meter on 1X resistance and measure the resistance. It should read 245 ohms. Be sure to check your chassis ground. This is where the harness bolts to the frame. A floating ground may cause problems such as this with a weak ignition. If I recall, this connection is on the metal frame of the coil up under the fuel tank. Be sure the ignition coil is clean where it mounts to the frame as well. Check these things and report back.ignition is really strong . No pull rope. Push it five feet in second choked and a little gas it start . only reason I bought it. That and had good tires . One had wrong rim. Called the guy we traded rims back. Only paid 200 for it. Plastic is really bad .

Flyingw
07-22-2012, 11:55 PM
if the ignition is strong then you can rule out the stator. Try it with the gas cap off...

jeigsk
07-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Disconnect the black/red wire coming off the stator. Measure between the black/red wire (stator side) and ground. Put your meter on 1X resistance and measure the resistance. It should read 245 ohms. Be sure to check your chassis ground. This is where the harness bolts to the frame. A floating ground may cause problems such as this with a weak ignition. If I recall, this connection is on the metal frame of the coil up under the fuel tank. Be sure the ignition coil is clean where it mounts to the frame as well. Check these things and report back.i will check with ohm meter this week. I'm electrician so have very good ohm meter. Thank

jeigsk
07-22-2012, 11:57 PM
The service manual will have that information. I am not sure if you can access that section of the forum yet though.can and will do

Flyingw
07-22-2012, 11:58 PM
manual link
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

jeigsk
07-23-2012, 02:05 AM
the muffller gasket is bad it smoke out there . could it be to much air.it has no air filter spot just air box it was loose thighten it up and ran alittel better

jeigsk
07-23-2012, 01:25 PM
You know the gas cap does not have a vent. I'll try taking off gas cap tonight see if that help. Thx

Flyingw
07-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Fix the exh gasket. A leaking exh gasket will cause a lean condition and it will run hot putting your top end at risk. I suggested you try running it with the gas cap off because the gas caps that dont have an external vent hose have an internal vent and I have seen so many of those that no longer vent. The vent is corroded closed. When this happens, fuel will flow out of the tank in to the carb while the pressure in the tank is positive but since there is no air being drawn in to the tank, the pressure will go negitive and that negitive pressure will actuall draw fuel out of the carb bowl and back in to the tank thus starving the carb and motor for fuel. Since you replaced the carb and you still have the problem, its quite possible this may be the cause.

jeigsk
07-23-2012, 09:02 PM
[QUOTE=Flyingw;1144748]Fix the exh gasket. A leaking exh gasket will cause a lean condition and it will run hot putting your top end at risk. I suggested you try running it with the gas cap off because the gas caps that dont have an external vent hose have an internal vent and I have seen so many of those that no longer vent. The vent is corroded closed. When this happens, fuel will flow out of the tank in to the carb while the pressure in the tank is positive but since there is no air being drawn in to the tank, the pressure will go negitive and that negitive pressure will actuall draw fuel out of the carb bowl and back in to the tank thus starving the carb and motor for fuel. Since you replaced the carb and you still have the problem, its quite possible this may be the cause.[/QUOTE it is thx. So we're is the vent in the tank located. The carb will not settle down.it run fast. It does not idle down with screw. Y might it do that. Should i adjust needle .

jeigsk
07-23-2012, 09:05 PM
it is thx. So we're is the vent in the tank located. The carb will not settle down.it run fast. It does not idle down with screw. Y might it do that. Should i adjust needle .

Flyingw
07-23-2012, 10:15 PM
So you're saying with the gas cap off, it still runs fast? Its sounding more like a leak at the intake. Adjusting the needle wont fix a fast idle problem.

jeigsk
07-24-2012, 12:00 AM
No it does not cut out with gas cap off. But it idles fast and it doesn't help to turn the idle screw down.

Flyingw
07-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Do you know if the slide is all the way down? Meaning, is it possible the throttle cable is adjusted too tight holding the slide open? Try turning any of the throttle cable adjusters in.

jeigsk
07-24-2012, 08:33 PM
No adjuster on cable . Do not think it throttle cable. Was looking at it today and notice the decompression lever and cable r missing could that be part of it.

jeigsk
07-25-2012, 01:47 AM
They put an oil plug in were the decompression arm is suppose to go. I hope they did not brake it off in there. Plug does not fit right it was leaking oil got fix it. Could all these make it run to fast.