PDA

View Full Version : 250sx reverse dose not work shifter sprinig is broke need help

jc-utica-ny
07-27-2012, 02:02 PM
how can i get reverse to work

dustrunner
07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
if the shifter spring is broke u must be using your foot to bring the lever back to ride it right ?? if so it shouldnt matter cuz u can shift down while pulling the reverse lever down right...

Jason125m
07-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Its most likely the shift spring return pin that is broken. # 21 on the schematics.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_image_popup.asp?fveh=123556&section=2046548&year=1985&make=HONDA&category=ATVs&dc=5924&name=GEARSHIFT+DRUM

tri again
07-27-2012, 07:18 PM
how can i get reverse to work

Which spring do you think is broken? does the shifter not return?
Has reverse ever worked that you know of?

jc-utica-ny
07-28-2012, 04:45 PM
reverse works now it button on the brake was not moving down enough now i just have to figure out the shifter spring yes it dose no return i have to brng it back before i can shift

tri again
07-28-2012, 05:40 PM
reverse works now it button on the brake was not moving down enough now i just have to figure out the shifter spring yes it dose no return i have to brng it back before i can shift

I almost suggested the reverse button since always best to check ez stuff first.
We often forget the kill switches.

I was just inside the 'shift linkage' area on a 250.

All that stuff is under the left side cover.
Drain oil and gas, lay trike on it's right side as level as possible.
(milk crate under front wheel helps)
IF you take the shift shaft out, you don't want it's mating part under the opposite cover to move
or fall out of position, so dead level is best and go super easy pulling and replacing that shaft.

You'll most likely see one of the first 2 parts bent or broken, but in my case it was the 3rd
pin that centers in the shift drum star wheel with a handful of tiny parts and ball point pen springs
with tiny little caps and some shift dog chicklets about 1/4 inch square with one rounded side.

Get the camera and take lots of pics.
Bug spray and good lighting and NO distractions.

maybe a painters drop cloth under the whole thing.
Pull cover and plug internal engine holes with rags so little parts don't fall in the engine.

Get left side cover gasket and maybe starter gear cover gasket.

then decide if you need:

24652-HAO-000 threaded pin
24621-HAO-020 arm, gearshift
or
the shift drum threaded pin # 24315-KA3-710

mrcycles uses the oem honda part numbers but bikebandit has the diagrams
loosely listed under 'shift linkage.

Seems like we've been thru this a few times lately.

try the search key with the word 'shift' and it should pull up a ton of info and pix.

manuals in the 'world class help' section.

and let us know what you find.

I was told or saw in many posts that it was probably the first 2 parts so I just bought them first
since they were cheap.
Mine turned out to be the threaded pin in the shift drum star wheel. backed out and bent.

Known by many different names btw.

The 'shift drum stopper' looks to be what actually indexes each gear and rolls into indents in that shift drum start wheel and I have heard that they can bend or come loose, esp on the 125m but also something to look at.

All parts should be under 40 bucks total and I found them all at a local
repair shop. and all very do able especially if you have a garage.
we did ours in the middle of the driveway. (not recommended)

jc-utica-ny
07-28-2012, 10:13 PM
thanks for the helps man i was just thinking i was had a garage ill have to take a better look soon as it stops raining. i also need a head light. will any from harbor freight work or anthing like that untill i can find a parts trike around here with one