PDA

View Full Version : July 28, 2012

maxdallasfan
07-27-2012, 08:54 PM
July 28, 2012. Why do I post this date you ask? Because this is the first day in 13 long years that I am going to stop chewing tobacco. It scares me to even say it out loud. I have struggled with this for 13 long years. Hidden this from everyone that I know. I once swore that I would stop when I turned 30. Then I swore that I would stop when I turned 35. I'm 37 now. I'll be 38 in 2 months. I don't want to die young. My heart is pounding as I write this, I'm scared, ashamed, embarrassed, worried, stressed out, trying to rationalize, trying to stop. My ex-wife never knew I did it. She got cancer 3 years ago and I swore that I would stop. I almost did, but the stress of it all wore on me and I continued. Then she flipped her lid and left. I swore again that I would stop, but my selfish hidden addiction wouldn't let me. My new girlfriend doesn't know I do it. My stepdaughter doesn't know I do it. My co-workers don't know I do it. Only I know, and my dogs know.....now you all know.

I don't know any of you, and you guys don't know me. Please help me get through this.

dcreel
07-27-2012, 09:06 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/138020-Trying-to-be-smoke-free!

RIDE-RED 250r
07-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Tobacco is a tough thing to quite. I smoked cigarettes for 13 years. Quit on Christmas day of '07. Was smoke free for nearly 3 years and then my dumb trailpro started smoking cigars and tiparillos... And here I am, a habitual smoker again. Will be kicking them to the curb again soon. The stogies are harder on the body than cigarettes.

It was only a matter of a few days after I quit that I started to not even notice I had quit and did not miss them. It can be done. And I will do it again....

maxdallasfan
07-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Good luck to you and me.

threewheelin-feelin
07-28-2012, 12:15 AM
i picked up smoking at 18 im now 25 and smoking a pack a day...every time i even think of quitting i start smoking more...tobacco is evil and one of the worst addictions to kick next to herion and cocaine...i want to quit so bad but it always seems i just want another cigarette more...good luck man hopfully i will get the nerve to quit soon...it really is one of the smartest choice you will make in life...and the money you will save can go towards 3wheelers!

whyzee
07-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Cheers to you for wanting and trying quit! I dipped for a good many years and one day I just completely quit...i replaced my addiction to tobacco with other things i am still addicted to...3 wheelers and motocross...not sure which is more dangerous. My point is that chances are you will have to replace your addiction with another addiction..
How the hell are you able to hide chewing tobacco from everyone?

atc007
07-28-2012, 08:17 AM
JULY 28 2012,,,The day YOU did it. I have no advice really for you as I have never started any of this crap. Why would I ? I've never understood it. My Sis is one smart cookie,,and she Loves the smell of cigarettes?? I don't understand it!? Just me. I hope you can get 2 days out. That seems to be the threshold to get over. Chew gum? Sunflower seeds,excercise. You will HAVE to replace it with something in your mind. We will get you through this. When it gets rough ,get on here and vent. And don't you get back on here with a failure report!! .lol We'll pull you through this,won't be the first time! You will do this.

maxdallasfan
07-28-2012, 09:25 AM
So far so good...only 9:30 am here! Ugh. I was able to hide it with pouches and sneaking around. Was pathetic really. But thanks all. I will read your words of encouragement.

pantera1975
07-28-2012, 09:30 AM
If you believe in Christ study that and ask him for help. When ever you have a addiction you have to find something positive to replace it with. 3 wheelers seem positive but they cost more money than most of us have then when money get tight or somthing brakes you will fall back. Trust me! I've had alot of life coaching over the last couple years. Or try exercise, walking,reading. Something that is relatively cheap. You can do it!

maxdallasfan
07-28-2012, 09:40 AM
If the MODs want to move this thread into the other one (link above) feel free. I guess I should have searched before making it.
I'm mostly worried about work on Monday. I think that will be way tougher than getting through the weekend. I'm going to my girlfriends house today.....hope I don't bite her head off. LOL.

atc007
07-28-2012, 09:49 AM
This is about YOU,and chew,that was about smoking. Tobacco yes,,but two different things. You won't hide the stench of smoke! Get through the weekend. Get through Monday,and go from there. You will do this.

atc007
07-28-2012, 07:40 PM
How's it going???

maxdallasfan
07-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Well today was hard. I ate like crazy at my gf's house. Thanks for the kind words. I was a little snippy, but not to bad.

atc007
07-28-2012, 09:56 PM
You made it though!! JULY 28 2012.. You did it. Now get thru tomorrow.

maxdallasfan
07-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks 007. You're all right in my book.

atc007
07-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Don't you even think about it.....Get rid of all of it,so you can't slip backwards.

maxdallasfan
07-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Haha. It's all gone. Flushed it all Friday night. Pretty good so far today.

atc007
07-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Great to here . Man it is beautiful up here! Nice cool breeze. But my nurses aide 12 miles away,it was pouring this AM. Which we still need. Tons of your neighbors have camps up here. Sullivan County

maxdallasfan
07-29-2012, 11:19 AM
North of Bloomsburg. Think I've been up that way before. We do some work up in Wellsboror (Antrim to be exact).

atc007
07-29-2012, 11:29 AM
1 hr from here. Beautiful country!!

maxdallasfan
07-29-2012, 11:40 AM
When I was putting the handgrips on, I was very close to jumping in my truck and running to 7-11 for a can. Whew, glad I didn't.

atc007
07-30-2012, 09:28 PM
How are we doing here sir? it was Monday,,ow did it go? I know it was dam hard...

maxdallasfan
07-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Oh, Monday was tough. Plus, my truck is acting up, so I went to drop it off at the auto shop, but they're too busy to look at it. Pissed me off a bit. But still held out and didn't give in. I was close, but when I felt the urge I just looked at all the nasty pics of oral cancer online and that did the trick.

atc007
07-31-2012, 08:45 AM
That should surely do it!! Dudes with their jaw and face gone. Looks fun huh? My brother in law and Nephew have taken it up ,and my Sis is just waiting to get bad news. He is 60,Nephews 27. Keep it up man,you are kicking ass ! Again,I have no experience here,but I would think it would start getting easier in a few days!

maxdallasfan
07-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks. it sucks

Escanabajosh
07-31-2012, 09:53 AM
July 16th 2012 marks 5 years no cigs for me! Started around 14-15 and smoked for ten years,give or take.

I said monday i will not bring any cigs to work and from there I didn't pick a pack up again....my ol lady smoked in our small apt while I did it and smoked the whole time in the house.....if I wouldn't have had "something else" to smoke I dont think I would have been able to do it,and I aint ever quiting smoking that :)

good luck guys (and girls) that are trynig to quit, after a while the sight or smell of it will make you sick and you will feel 10x better. hard part is the first few weeks after that it's all in your head.

I was at a pack a day when i quit. Figure $5 a pack x 365 in a year= $1,825 a year x 5 years= $9,125 per 5 years I saved $10,000 in the last 5 years, thats alot of 3wheelers!

JasonB
07-31-2012, 10:10 AM
I quit everything September of 2009. I had quit cig's back probably 2008 but spent about a year smoking Cigarillos and cigars. Nothing like trading off cigarettes for cigarillos that i started inhaling! Smoke free and happy for it, you can do it man! My manager at work chews too, trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro looks nasty!

maxdallasfan
07-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Yeah, my mouth already feels better. I treated myself today to a monster McDonald's lunch. LOL.

atc007
07-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Me too,,NOT something I'm proud of. Well, A Hamburger,few fries 1 nugget and left over sundae from the girls.. Crap is not good for ya..

maxdallasfan
07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
So I was walking my dogs tonight, and was talking to my neighbor. His one friend just had surgery for cancer in his jaw and neck! Dude is in his 50's, and was a chewer but has been a smoker for the last 15 years. Plus, he drinks like a fish. Well now, he's missing half his jaw, most of his tongue, and he has to eat through a tube. Wtf. Thank God I'm done with this crap. I just hope it's not too late.

atc007
07-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Hopefully ,you'll be fine. The second you quit,your body starts trying to heal itself! FACT. Same as cigs. My Father in law and nana in law,smoked like stacks when they were young. Grew up ,quit, She went to 91,he's at 76 and climbing. On NO meds. You have given yourself and anyone who cares about you a priceless gift. Congratulations man!!! You are doing this!!

atc007
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
So,,is this as easy as you seem to be making it? Or have there been some rough spots??

maxdallasfan
08-02-2012, 12:05 PM
It's not too bad. I have the nicotine gum. But, I'm down to about 3 pieces a day. The only hard times are 10am and 3:30 pm. I seem to be bored at work and need something. It's not the nicotine, but something to keep in my mouth instead of grabbing candy or another soda. That's really been the hard part. Keeping my mouth busy. I read online that some people suck on green tea bags when bored. Maybe I'll try that.

atc007
08-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Unreal.. I am just in awe how you are kicking this things ass! Great thread here,and fabios above! I was not aware there is nicotine in chew? I though only cigs??

maxdallasfan
08-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Still going strong. Thanks for all your well wishes. Honestly, this was easier than I ever imagined. Today was day #12, and I only used one piece of Nicorette. Those and life savers (no pun intended) have done the trick.

The hardest part was getting enough balls to finally stop.