PDA

View Full Version : Shooting for a Promotion

Popeye
07-29-2012, 01:40 AM
I'm currently in my first year as an Assistant Baseball Coach at my alma mater and now 6 months before the season starts my head coach just got fired. I hate to see him go, but I am excited about the opportunity to move up for me and my family. He's older, so I expected him to get out in the next year or two. That would have given me an opportunity to prove myself on the field. Now I have to do it in a meeting room with the School Board and Athletic Director. Education-wise, I will be the most qualified candidate. But, I only have two years of experience compared to my "opponents" seven. Not to sound cocky, but I forgot more about baseball yesterday than the other guy has learned in those seven years. Just hoping they can see past all of it and hire the right guy for the job- me lol. It has been a dream of mine since I started college to coach at my old high school. It's the only school I want to coach at- the job definitely ain't worth the money. I just love my old team. If I can't get the head job here, I will probably get out of the coaching profession and just stick to teaching (just about the same money and half the hours and headaches). So....here's to hoping I land my dream job :beer.

just ben
07-29-2012, 08:57 AM
good luck to you,

atc007
07-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Either way the coin flips. It will all work out for ya. Most things happen for a reason. Good luck!

Popeye
07-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks ya'll, it has me excited and nervous at the same time. Last week I felt sure I was within a year or two of the job. Now with this happening, if they brought somebody else in it could definitely set me back a few years.

Popeye
07-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Well, my "opponent" called today and said he got the job. According to him it isn't official yet, but in progress. I didn't even get a chance to have my interview. The Athletic Director refuses to return any calls or emails. I spoke with a long-time mentor of mine who has been in the school system for a while. He said the other guy jumped the gun because it isn't official yet.

We've got a party for the new superintendent tomorrow afternoon, so I'll find out more then. I just don't know what happened. I mean, this program has been on a downward spiral for the last 10 years (since my class graduated). Instead of bringing somebody in with the knowledge to build it back up, they promoted part of the problem. He's not a bad person- in fact, I like the guy- but I completely out-class him on every level and they haven't even given me a legitimate shot. Anyways, if what he has told me is confirmed tomorrow then I will be handing in my letter of resignation. As I said before, this is the only school I will ever coach at and I'm not gonna be a career assistant.

On the bright-side, I get to spend a lot more time with my kids. So like atc007 said, most things happen for a reason.

maxdallasfan
07-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Better call Jackie Childs. You got yourself a case.

dcreel
07-30-2012, 09:01 PM
I just want to say sorry, if it is indeed true.. But how super pitiful of that dude to call you to gloat about getting the job over you.. Severe lack of class right there..

atc007
07-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Better call Jackie Childs. You got yourself a case.
I LOVE Seinfeld!! Sorry to hear that Popeye.. I truly believe what I said. yes,,sometimes,,we have to forge our own path at any cost.. But something like this... just not right at all.. More time with your kids sounds like the hands down winner to me! Good luck :)

Popeye
07-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Thank ya'll. I'd never prove it- can't even prove it to myself. Just word of mouth you know. I would be scared to start an uproar anyways, because it could likely cost me my teaching job. In reality, I'm not mad at him. He called because I have a lot of connections in the baseball world around town and he wanted me to turn them over to him. I laughed to myself, but kept it professional. Told him I'd have to get back with him on that. I'm happy for the guy in a way- he's been there a while, but he wasted all that time. Never really learned anything.If the tables were turned, I doubt I would turn the job down you know. I just happened to be on the wrong end this time. But, it's supposedly not official....yet. I'm gonna confront my AD tomorrow and ask what happened to my interview. If I can just get in that interview, I'd make it real hard for them to turn me down. Not bragging, but I know my stuff lol.

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Popeye
08-01-2012, 04:22 AM
I erased parts of my earlier posts because I realize it is probably insensitive to certain people.

On another note, I spoke with the AD today and his secretary is gonna call me tomorrow and set up a meeting. It doesn't really sound likeI am gonna get the job, but nothing has been made official yet. So there is still hope.

jb2wheels
08-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I'd say the whole situation is indicitive of the difference between Head Coach and Assistant Coach.

Head Coach is less about the baseball you know but more about the people you know.

And the politics
And the school board
And the parents
And the budgets
And long term/strategic plans
And you vision for the team
And how your vision fits in with the school/district mission/vision
And how you're going to get there
And who your assitants will be and why

That's what you should be dealing with as a head coach. Being the best assistant coach does not qualify you to be the head coach.

Think about that when you go for your interview.

Popeye
08-01-2012, 11:57 AM
I'd say you know exactly what you're talking about jb2. As far as politics and the school board I am out- that was covered in the parts of my earlier posts that I went back and deleted. I've dealt with budgets during my whole time as an assistant-inventory, purchase orders, travel itineraries, etc.

As far as vision, I have a deep, deep resume within the sport and education. They don't question my ability to do the job at all. I didn't even get an interview for the assistant job. I heard their head coach would be leaving in a couple, so I went to the AD (while working for another extremely successful baseball team) and told him I was here to be the next head coach (never lacked confidence lol). He hired me on the spot as an assistant. I emailed him a four page document outlining my approach to the game and my vision for the team in the coming years. It was something I had been working on for years for that specific purpose.

Trust me, I got all my ducks in a row but you make some extremely valid points. I appreciate you spelling it out for me. It kind of allowed me to take a hard look at the things I can control and the things I can't. You must have some experience in the profession as well- or at least at some level.

Thanks man.