PDA

View Full Version : looking for carb upgrade advice for modded 185s

ironload
08-01-2012, 11:16 AM
hi everyone, im new to 3ww. i just bout my first atc 2 weeks ago, its a 82 honda 185s with a 200m (i belive from research iv done) top end and carb, wiseco high compression piston, dg pipe (all done by P O)and a uni filter is on its way. it ran decent when i first bought it accept at wide open throttle it would bog down. so i cleaned the carb really good and bought a carb kit. this helped with the wide open throttle issue, it now runs great (very fast) but now i cant get it to stay at a consistent idle, and the air fuel mixer screw does nothing even when screwed all the way in (had same issue with mixture scew before replacing it). so im thinking the carb just might be worn out? so im thinking about a carb upgrade if it would be benificial to the mods that have allready been done to the wheeler, maybe one off a 200x. any advice will be apprectated.

ironload
08-02-2012, 12:12 AM
does anyone have any experince with mikuni 200x carb from ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230662072087?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

yaegerb
08-02-2012, 12:32 AM
If its not idling well you may need to go back and check to see that your pilot jet is not clogged. Disassemble and blow compressed air through all the jets and hold up to the light to ensure they are clean. If it still idles rough, take a spray bottle with dish soap and spray the carb around the joint where the bowl meets the upper portion of the carb. Also spray around your intake manifold (spray with the motor running). If you see bubbles around any of the joints then replace the gasket. Try those two things and see if that solved your problem.

ironload
08-02-2012, 08:35 AM
thanks alot for the help! ill give it a try

ironload
08-02-2012, 03:52 PM
good call yaegerb. i opened the carb up after i sprayed it down with soap and water an didnt see any bubbles. the jet was clogged so i bought a jet cleaning tool and cleaned her right out. i inspected the tank an saw a good amount of sediment and rust inside so i swapped it out for a plastic tank off my parts wheeler and also installed a inline filter. shes running and idling better then ever! however after inspecting the plug she is running lean now. looks like i gotta drop the needle a notch or maybe even 2 sicne the uni filter still hasnt arrived. also its running a 100 jet, anyone think i should go bigger?

yaegerb
08-04-2012, 11:48 PM
If its a 200m, stock carb settings are as follows
main jet: 95
Air/fuel screw: 2-1/8 turns out. Seat softly, then turn out 2-1/8 turns
Needle clip: 3rd from the top

You say you are at a 100 main and its still running lean?

Is there any stall at idle? If you blip the throttle does it bog? If not your pilot is fine.

If it truly is lean get a few main jets from your honda dealer. I would get the next three sizes larger (102, 105, 108) and start your circuit tests with the largest jet. If the bike bogs at WOT, then drop one main jet size and test again. Continue this circuit testing until the bike doesn't bog at WOT. Also keep your needle clip on 3rd from top during the circuits. Try that and see if it helps your lean condition.

bslama69
08-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Years ago I hopped up my 1984 200S with a cam and pipe. I bought a 200X carb and it ran like a champion, without even changing the jetting.