PDA

View Full Version : America's youth

fabiodriven
08-02-2012, 02:54 PM
As if I really need to be starting another thread right now after the one I just started...

So I work for a small company and I work by myself for 40 hours a week. I do not work weekends. It's a great job really. It's a gravy job. It has its days when it can be demanding but for the most part you just have to show up and get paid.

I recently started training a kid (he's about 21) to cover me if I need a day off or take a vacation. It's hard to find somebody to cover me because people with my credentials already have a full time job. This kid went to get his commercial inspection license (on the company's dime) and already had a CDL, the two requirements to do my job. The first day he was scheduled to come in for training, I told him to be here at 8 am. I had a truck scheduled to come in for inspection at that time and I wanted to show him how to do it. Welp, 8 o'clock comes and goes and I send him a text. He says he'll be right in. He rolls in at about 20 past 8 with a coffee in his hand. I had him finish up the inspection and I waited until the customer left before I spoke to him. I told him the problem I had with him coming in late on his first day, coffee in hand. "Well I made the coffee at home" he says. Not a valid excuse in my book. He then informed me that he was just here for training and that I'm not his boss. I quickly corrected him and informed him that I am, indeed, his boss. Aside from training we won't be working together, but I've been here for 4 years and I have thousands of inspections under my belt. I thought I made myself clear.

So this kid was scheduled to work for me the week while I was gone at Trikefest 2012, which he did. However, before I left for my trip he asked me if I needed any more time off before I went. I said no and asked him why he would ask me that. He told me because he was "starting a regular 9-5" the week after I get home from Trikefest. Oh rly? So now he can't cover me for any days off because he works another job, after we paid for him to get his inspection license. He's about as useful to this shop as tits on a bull. He still works a couple of hours on Saturday though, which is where the problem arises.

Every week I come in to start my work week on Monday and things are not where they should be. Not just misplaced, or left out, but things are completely re-located to other parts of the shop. My shop. I sent him a message today to let him know he has to put certain things where they belong because everything in this shop is where it is for a reason. I have, after all, been here for 4 years. He's got about 60 hours and maybe 200 inspections into this shop. I also had to let him know that he cannot let the customers drive their own vehicles into and out of the shop and if he gets caught doing that we get shut down for a week, and that's the bare minimum. I told him that if he gets the shop shut down for a week and causes me to lose a weeks pay I will not be happy. His response to my message was to inform me of another way I am running this shop incorrectly. Now, this business was broken when I took it over. My predecessor had run it into the ground and informed (erroneously) the clientele that we would be closing for good. I had to pick up the pieces and rebuild this business to its former glory, which I did. We are thriving tremendously at this point. And this kid has the balls to tell me how I should run this business? He then tells me that I need to stop speaking to him in such a condescending fashion and he doesn't like confrontation, and apparently I do. All this from informing him of how this shop is run, which is why he's here after all.

He once approached me about an argument I got in with a customer while he was here. It was a very heated argument with an unhappy customer. I was in the right though. His truck failed inspection miserably, he took his truck back and brought it in the next day, repaired next to nothing, and then expected to pass his re-inspection. In the 4 years I've been here, I've probably gotten in 5 yelling matches, if that. The kid just happened to be here for one of them. So the kid approaches me and starts telling me how to talk to my customers. I was so taken aback by it that he actually threw me off guard. I should have just told him to shut the heck up, but I actually explained the situation to him in an attempt to teach him something. It didn't work.

This kid doesn't know sh!t from shinola when it comes to the mechanics of a vehicle. I tried to teach him, but before I can finish explaining anything to him he's already saying something back to me. How in the world is somebody supposed to learn something if they don't listen to what you're telling them? Who raised this kid? Who in their right mind walks into an established shop at the age of 21 and thinks they're going to have any say of what goes on without even having worked a 40 hour week yet?

Parents, please teach your kids right. I talked to the owner of my company already and there is a very good chance this kid is going to lose his job. I've never been half as disrespectful to anyone as this kid has been to me, and all we did was offer this kid employment.

Sorry for the rant, especially after my other rant of a thread. This kid's just got me all riled up. I hope this entertains somebody.

dcreel
08-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Respect is an important piece of the puzzle that is missing in todays society.. The young kids aren't raised to give respect or to work hard enough to earn respect. And we have to hope that this generation will raise their children correctly when they weren't showed how. How often do you see people holding doors for women, men, or others? When I hold a door open for someone, how often do I get a thank you? People are being taught the easy way to get by, throw their damn trash out the window of their car.. They're learning this from their parents.

The world is going to hell in a handbasket for sure..

philgipson
08-02-2012, 03:17 PM
i am 67 years old and grew up in west texas.i was taught to say sir and mam.i take my hat off in the house and i have always worked for a pay check.too many of the younger generation dont want a job they just want a check.

Flossyb20
08-02-2012, 03:26 PM
How is it that I see eye-to-eye with you on this thread, but completely disagree with you on the other??? You are an interesting character there Fabio:-)

coolpool
08-02-2012, 03:37 PM
It's not just a American problem Fabio, we see it all the time too. That kid should be sent packing IMO. You're his mentor AND his boss; he needs to respect that. Late on day one = skidded out the door. I think a lot of it stems from the "on demand" lifestyle kids have these days; if they want it, mommy or daddy buys it, no questions asked even if it puts the parents into debt. Most youth in this neck of the woods think they deserve the new truck, quad/dirt bike and the latest phone at no cost to them even though they are disrespectful and are complete D-bags to everyone. I say bring back the strap in school and we'll see how tomorrows youth look. My $.02

atc007
08-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I had my ass HANDED to me ,,often,from my Marine Dad.. Really had little to do with Marines, as it did HIS upbringing on the farm. I thank God for it EVERYDAY. There is no gray area in my right and wrong. I KNEW he Loved me.But i usually learned the 1st time I did something!! My kids are hugged and kissed many times a day.. they also think I am just the HARDEST ass there is. It Kills me sometimes,as my wife doesn't do Crap for discipline.. They sort of resent me now,,but I keep telling them they'll be thanking me in spades when they're 30. My son will be 21 this month. he'll drop his groceries and sprint across the parking lot to help elderly. Has and does often. But his friends have no clue why he does things like this! My biggest problem has to be the trance these kids have with their phones. I fail to get it. I truly do.

bkm
08-02-2012, 04:18 PM
What do you expect from the "Time Out" generation. Back when I crossed the line there was no such thing as "Time Out" in my house. I can still to this day here my Old Man's belt clearing the loops on his pants. My dad never "beat" me but he got my attention that is for damn sure. My dad never forgot to tell me he loved me, always gave me a hug when he saw me or we parted ways, but boy did I think he was the baddest, meanest Sum B!tch on the planet when ever I screwed up.

El Camexican
08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Seen this from all angles. I was forced to tell 45 year olds what to do when I was 20 and sometimes I have to listen to them now. I recently took a fresh off the farm kid under my wing and a year later he's practicaly a mini me. I'm so proud of him it almost makes me cry when I see him in action. Unfortunatly for every one like him I've had the pleasure of working and training with there's been 10 dead-eyed burn-out punks I've had to fire. Sounds to me like Flabio needs to open his own shop, or at least make the boss agree to let him do the hiring and firing if he's going to have to put up with this caliber of help. PS. bkm/atc YOU are SOOOOO right! Spare the belt and fudge up the kid. Yo coolpool, why don't you tell the good people here what happens to parents that spank a kids arse in Canada.:crazy:

TecateDan
08-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I work for a staffing company and deal with these kids all day. There are one or two jems that I find here or there and they all have on thing in common. WHen they were young and screwed up they get yelled at and they were taught respect by there parents. When I was 21 an "GIVEN" a job like fabio gave this kid I was there 20 minutes early with a coffe for the boss not 20 minutes late with a coffe for myself. Oh and it's not my fault there days that kids spend 200K on a degree in Roman Theory! I mean what the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro is that going to help you do in life. They come crwaling into me all the time and want job for which they have no skills telling me how they have debt!!!!! Not my Problem. I make a good living now but 4 years ago when the economy emploded and I was workign for myself and I had debt I didn't cry to people I went and offered to do any horrible job for any amount of money to pay the bills. I didn't wine, I didn't show up late, I didn't complain and I used my skill and hard work to make a better life for myself. That what these kids don't get. They are young and they don't have responsiblity and it oinly gets harder as you get older and have more responsibilites so if you can't cut it now then go crawl into some cave and hide for the rest of your life cause I'm sick of the whiny complaing kids that have no respect and worse don't even understand why people thinkg they are idots

atc007
08-02-2012, 05:42 PM
What do you expect from the "Time Out" generation. Back when I crossed the line there was no such thing as "Time Out" in my house. I can still to this day here my Old Man's belt clearing the loops on his pants. My dad never "beat" me but he got my attention that is for damn sure. My dad never forgot to tell me he loved me, always gave me a hug when he saw me or we parted ways, but boy did I think he was the baddest, meanest Sum B!tch on the planet when ever I screwed up.

Lol, I lOVE this! BKM,,my wife will TELL you ,,we WERE BEAT !! I say,,No,,we were taught right from wrong and there was a lOT of work to get done. Onto the next problem! I too,say I was never beat,,my back looked like a welted up zebras back sometimes from that belt.. ohh yes,,BUT,,we were dairy farmers!! Milker hoses and milker straps! With brass grommetts in them : ) Ok,,so maybe I was beat,,I wouldn't change a damn thing. I have now bathed and diapered him for 4 years and Mom 8. they must have done something right. I don't do it because of anything but PURE Love and respect. Funny little side note.. My Nephew gets the biggest kick out of this,as he Knows my Dad.. The LAST Time Dad went to Kick my ass,,,literally. I was stepping across the gutter in the barn,and he kicked,,I caught his foot and waved my finger, no more Dad. I Think I was 20.. He still hadn't gave up on me!

jays375
08-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Was he wearing a pair of untied logger style boots?His hat cocked of to one side?The pant legs of his jeans cut up?Granted when I was that age thought I was cool?My job taught me alot,thanks to my co-workers.Luckily some of the guys I work with were willing to teach me things.Can't stand people being late.I show up 15 minutes early to chat and drink a coffee.Most of the younger crowd walks in the door as the bell rings,if not after.Then they stand around and finish there coffee.I work in a fab shop and get to build lots of neat things.New workers get the same treatment.Show them the best way and what works when putting something together.If they don't listen,no more help from me.I tend to be OCD and like my work area clean and organized.You don't see alot of that either these days.

ebaccm26
08-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Sounds like some of you put any young person into the same category, that being that they are no good? I do realize some of you are just having some fun but others of you seem to be quite sincere. I'm 18, I have a FULL time job and go to college FULL time. My parents offered to pay my college in full but I told them no because it is my responsibility not theirs, granted they still help me but they should not have to bare the full burdon of that for me. My parents are well off enough that they would probably give me anything I asked for but yet every one of my machines was bought with my hard earned money NOT theirs. Maybe I am the only one but I have a sense of pride I have never missed a day of work nor shown up late, I work for what I want because it makes it feel that much better in the end to know that what I have is truely earned. I could go on and on but my point is don't single everyone into the same group because of their age, we are not all so disrespectful and ungrateful.

Respect is an important piece of the puzzle that is missing in todays society.. The young kids aren't raised to give respect or to work hard enough to earn respect. And we have to hope that this generation will raise their children correctly when they weren't showed how. How often do you see people holding doors for women, men, or others? When I hold a door open for someone, how often do I get a thank you? People are being taught the easy way to get by, throw their damn trash out the window of their car.. They're learning this from their parents.

The world is going to hell in a handbasket for sure..

As for that I would say I most definately was raised to give respect. My dad always taught me to do the simple things such as holding the door, taking care of your own messes etc, and not everyone appreciates it like they should but at the end of the day I am always better for having done it. On a side note I can't tell you how many times I have held a door for a older person who didn't say a word because for some reason they think they deserve it, it is not only younger people who show disrespect it is people in general.

dcreel
08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
I could go on and on but my point is don't single everyone into the same group because of their age, we are not all so disrespectful and ungrateful.

I would say that you are definitely in the minority. Most of the 18-25 year olds I have worked with or known in my area have had several dui's or had some that have been covered up by their parents. They don't care about a legacy, morals, beliefs, or a work ethic. They care about the weekend, a check, and doing the least amount of work to get one to allow them to do the other.

This is the Teen Mom/Jersey Shore generation.. Where you do something stupid and make a living off of it.. Where being a douchebag is now a job title.

TecateDan
08-02-2012, 08:41 PM
ebaccm.. I said in my post there are a few hidden jems and there parents taught them right.. good for u man keep it up if what u say is true u should do well in life with that ethic

KI4UJO
08-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I am a member of this generation (I'm 15), and am ashamed to say it. Really, I don't even know where to start on the problems our generation has. Probably how most just go to their parents and beg for it. Everyone I know is always suprised to hear about how I actually work on stuff, and that I haven't been on facebook in 2 months. Also, if they do something, the lack of quality is amazing. Music really shows it. Not only is the "music" horrible, the actual quality of the audio is horrible. Anyone else here my age willing to build on this?

maxdallasfan
08-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Not to mention all these pussification of America kids need to be constantly patted on the back and coddled. Ugh. That's what you get when you get a diploma after every grade and get a trophy after finishing last and have teachers asking you if your parents hit you and wearing helmets when riding a bike and fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuukkkkkk

KI4UJO
08-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Not to mention all these pussification of America kids need to be constantly patted on the back and coddled. Ugh. That's what you get when you get a diploma after every grade and get a trophy after finishing last and have teachers asking you if your parents hit you and wearing helmets when riding a bike and fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuukkkkkk
Thank you, I can't stand the model of everyone getting a trophy

just ben
08-02-2012, 11:22 PM
I may not be the best parent in the world but I try not to contribute to the pussification or entitlement of our youth.I do give my daughter everything I can but she works for it or works to keep it I should say. I have been on my own basically since I was 15 (lived with my mom but she only came home a few times a month)I didn't really have anyone to teach me respect or responsibility.It may have taken me a bit longer to learn the golden rule but I did. I blame technology for most of the way kids are now. Not only do the kids have an Ipod stuffed in ther ears with a computer in front of them while talking on the phone but alot of their parents do also.How is a kid soppose to know any different?

fabiodriven
08-03-2012, 06:25 AM
I think about this stuff every day, America has taken seemingly destroying itself in the last one hundred years or so. We have a teensy weensy bit in inflation and I heard there were like 7 new workers hired!!! WOOOOOOH......J/k lol

Dad always said Wars create jobs.

Jobs? anyone? jobs? anyone????

As for the WT theories, I have allot of them and they show the same crap roughly

1 plane looked real, another a fake, another a rocket. I've seen a ton of vids of it and everything says "implosion to me " and "government security"

And people losing loved ones........ I hate to think the gov't did it but if a it walks like a duck, talks like a duck.??

So the whatever total plane crew and passengers are actors and or are all out there hiding?? Alive?

Maybe a missile did hit them but something else took them down, it seems....

Wrong thread Steve, Lol.

TecateDan
08-03-2012, 09:05 AM
I was reading this on my phone and was confused as hell? I'm like did my phone just jump therads ??? LOL

fabiodriven
08-03-2012, 12:02 PM
So if anyone gives a sh!te...

I had two chats with the boss over the phone yesterday, and we had a face to face meeting today. The kid has hung himself. He pulled the same crap with the boss he tries to pull with me. Always talking, he's got big ideas, he knows how things should be done. The boss ended the conversation when the kid said he would "give his current job notice and work for my boss full time", meaning he wanted to take my job.

Which brings me back to my original point. This kid was chosen to receive an opportunity, to get his foot in the door here at my work. It was my job to teach him and show him how this place runs, which I attempted to do. He just wouldn't listen to anything I had to say. I was very nice to this kid and very welcoming (which will never happen again). I tried to show this kid everything I had learned about this business over the last 4 years of me running it. I've been given some opportunities in my life, and I've been very grateful, which is why I am where I am. This kid, after working here not even on a part time basis, for 2 or 3 months, thought he was going to walk in the door and take my friggin job. The nerve of this little puke... I just cannot believe it. Who in their right mind takes an opportunity like the one we attempted to give him and just destroys it like that? If it were up to me, this kid would never set foot in this shop again. Unfortunately, it is not up to me. The boss says the kid's on thin ice so that's all I've got right now. I might back-hand him though.

atcpunk107
08-03-2012, 12:52 PM
I agree with about everything being said. Being 24 I feell like everyone judges me directly by my age and doesn't consider who I really am. I think the biggest problem is the education people get in certain fields. Kids get fresh outta sxhool thinking they know it all. Then when they get on the job they have no idea what they are doing. I had ajob where no one hardly gave me a chance because of my age. When I started I never talked about what I could or couldn't do. I I had a problem I asked questions I never dug myself a hole but I proved myself silently and effectively. These kids think they deserve respect for just being there. I call BS you don't get respect you earn it through you're abilitiees and show you deserve it with you're actions. Unfortunately a flood hit and I was let go but when we were let go I left with respect from everyone and it felt great. Now I am still looking for a job but its really hard to do right now. However I'm not just sitting around I'm out doing odd jobs to support my wife and daughter.

ktm one
08-03-2012, 12:57 PM
You should use your experience and wit to "backhand" this degenerate. Make his mind spin when he finds out he dosn't even know what he doesn't know.

JasonB
08-03-2012, 01:50 PM
someone hijacked Fabio's account and is going on rants now lol

on topic: I work for a company staffing over 100 active nurses into pediatric homecare. On a DAILY BASIS, i am reminded that I am the direct supervisor of complete moron's. I catch myself telling people 20 and 30 years older than me how to act mature and what an employer expects of them as normal human beings. I am 30. My nurses are dumb flighty creatures and on top of this they work with children. I have to tell these women to straighten up sometimes, and they are working DIRECTLY IWTH CHILDREN WHO CANT HELP THEMSELVES! needless to say I regularly fire and replace the more troublesome ones, but this gets so discouraging to watch this day after day! They sometimes quit their fulltime jobs working 40-60 hours a week with us for over 17 and 18$ per hour without any notice to us OUR their patients!

people in society in present day lack so many things. Responsibility, drive, initiative, maturity, RESPECT. not to say im perfect ;) Kids are the worst, I plan to beat mine with a belt like I was. Thats much more effective than 'time out' lol

TecateDan
08-03-2012, 02:35 PM
We'll have to share recruting horror stories at TF13 since I'm in the same field

someone hijacked Fabio's account and is going on rants now lol

on topic: I work for a company staffing over 100 active nurses into pediatric homecare. On a DAILY BASIS, i am reminded that I am the direct supervisor of complete moron's. I catch myself telling people 20 and 30 years older than me how to act mature and what an employer expects of them as normal human beings. I am 30. My nurses are dumb flighty creatures and on top of this they work with children. I have to tell these women to straighten up sometimes, and they are working DIRECTLY IWTH CHILDREN WHO CANT HELP THEMSELVES! needless to say I regularly fire and replace the more troublesome ones, but this gets so discouraging to watch this day after day! They sometimes quit their fulltime jobs working 40-60 hours a week with us for over 17 and 18$ per hour without any notice to us OUR their patients!

people in society in present day lack so many things. Responsibility, drive, initiative, maturity, RESPECT. not to say im perfect ;) Kids are the worst, I plan to beat mine with a belt like I was. Thats much more effective than 'time out' lol

90guy
08-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Well I am about the same age as this kid 20 going to be 21 in less then 2 months. I in respect had some kids like this in my classes I can see where people call my generation: Generation Entitled. But me I am the complete opposite you have elders for a reason they know what they are doing and you learn from them and hopefully you can in time be doing just as well as them. I grew up my parents givening the best they can for me and we work for what we have and dont take it for granted. This kid needs to get some sense knocked into him!

ATC-Eric
08-03-2012, 07:30 PM
I plan to beat mine with a belt like I was. Thats much more effective than 'time out' lol

The looks I get are the best when I tell people "I cant wait to beat my kids." Of course Im not talking bruises, and black eyes. I cant stand watching people around me raising children without instilling the healthy fear that there are consiquinces to thier reactions.

It all boils down to respect.

atc007
08-03-2012, 08:26 PM
The looks I get are the best when I tell people "I cant wait to beat my kids." Of course Im not talking bruises, and black eyes. I cant stand watching people around me raising children without instilling the healthy fear that there are consiquinces to thier reactions.

It all boils down to respect.

God,,you'd love my style... My kids don't necessarily... I should elaborate,I have never hit my kids,or spanked yet,,slap in the face? Maybe : )

studcat
08-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Most of these kids have no work ethic,don't care if they do a good job or not.Thankfully my parents taught me responsiblity.

3wheelerfan1991
08-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Fabio,
We've never met but i have read a lot of your posts and useful information. Very well put together thread with valid points. Respect in younger generations has depleted. Not saying every younger person is disrespectful.

Dirtcrasher
08-04-2012, 02:19 AM
No, there not ALL disrespectful; But too many of them are. Many are a bunch of clones, dressing the same, acting the same and put more effort in selling drugs than learning something.........

I use to have allot of good friends, but when I finally figured out that they were just using me for repairs and riding on my track. I have more friends from here than I had a few years back. I won't help any of them now. Adios Bozo's!!

81Rmachine
08-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Im currently 20 years old. Many people I went to school with consider me old fashioned or traditional because I listen to classic rock and old country, drive my 76 chevy pickup, and have worked a consistent job all the way through high school and did farm labor before that. I got so much crap from teachers in school about how I wasnt in any sports and I had the rest of my life to work, but it was my choice to work a job after school to support my 3 wheeler hobby on weekends and put some away for tech school. Alot of the guys I knew in school who were star wrestlers or football players were still pissing on each others shoes in the locker room while I was working 40 hours a week on the side with grown men who told me about their problems and taught me alot about life, so I grew up much faster. Most of my graduating class went to school or settled for a lousy job locally while I had always dreamt of building engines so I went to school 6 hours away and worked till 4 in the mornin loading pop on a coke truck every night to make ends meet. Im currently 8 hours away from my family and my girlfriend of 3 1/2 years working at a race shop doing what I love. While its less than ideal being away from family and friends I dont regret one bit of it. I know that eventually I can find a job closer or maybe start my own shop and I can finally settle down but Ive always been a hard worker and am willing to make sacrifices to make a good living and support my girlfriend while she goes to college to live out her dream as well. My point being is when I do go home most of my friends are still working the same dead end job and hate what they do. These are also the same people who told me I was crazy for moving away. I know too many people my age who expect mommy and daddy to buy everything for em and have absolutely no work ethic. The next generation of youngsters doesnt look any more promising. It makes me sick too see 6 year old kids now that waste all their time with ipads and video games.

FourtyCaliber
08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Why wouldn't you just fire this idiot right then and there? That's called insubordination and is a justified reason for firing. Surely, his antics are just precursor of more things to come from him. Because you have training invested in him? So what! In this economy you have your pick over who you want to hire. There is CERTAINLY someone else out there who would be EXTREMELY HAPPY to have a job. Get rid of the clown and find someone respectful who is happy to have a job.

fabiodriven
08-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Why wouldn't you just fire this idiot right then and there? That's called insubordination and is a justified reason for firing. Surely, his antics are just precursor of more things to come from him. Because you have training invested in him? So what! In this economy you have your pick over who you want to hire. There is CERTAINLY someone else out there who would be EXTREMELY HAPPY to have a job. Get rid of the clown and find someone respectful who is happy to have a job.

If it were up to me, this kid would never set foot in this shop again. Unfortunately, it is not up to me.

To 81Rmachine, you're a good man and you'll always do well in life with your attitude. You're probably the first kid I've seen on here in 4 years that actually has good grammar, aside from Chazz Of Blades. People these days don't look at things they way you do. Keep it up buddy.

thestud25
08-27-2012, 03:16 PM
To 81Rmachine, you're a good man and you'll always do well in life with your attitude.

Don't screw it up :lol: Compliments from Fabio are hard earned!!

Xpress
08-28-2012, 11:49 AM
We're not all f***ed up in the head, sometimes you have to dig through a lot of dirt to find gold. We can only hope this young gentlemen learns that he has the PRIVILEGE of having a job, not the right. I not, then let it go, some people aren't worth the effort and won't learn.