PDA

View Full Version : Show Us Your Box. (PG!,otherwise PM me! he he he . . .)

kawasaki666
08-02-2012, 11:51 PM
What story does YOUR tooll box hold?

atc007
08-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Which one? House,basement,garage,Shop,barn or portable!/ Nice box,btw,, very classy,Craftsman,,shows me someone who likes to get what he pays for! That's what I have ,only a little smaller.

wisconsinite
08-04-2012, 01:46 PM
here's mine, if i spent as much on a phone as on tools it would be a better pic:

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/2658/toolbox.jpg

it would be pretty ironic if somebody posted a pink toolbox lol

Blown 331
08-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Here's my wall of tool boxes. lol. Kinda of embarassing to post with it being such a mess. The boxes are all Craftsman. The tools are about a third of Craftsman, Matco and Snap On.
And while we are on the subject has anyone else noticed that nearly all Craftsman tools are now made in China and Taiwan? I had 2 broken made in USA ratchets and the replacements would have been Chinese. If I wanted a Chinese ratchet I would have bought one for $2 at Harbor Freight- same warranty! I tried paying extra to make up the difference to get a made in USA ratchet. I tried 4 stores and called customer service. Nothing could be done so I sold my broken made in USA ratchets on ebay and bought a Snap On. F em! I figure I break 1 or 2 Craftsmans per year. Snap On is super expensive but if Craftsman tries giving me Chinese junk I can afford 1 or 2 Snap On's per year to replace them. And from my ratchet experience you can sell a broken Craftsman for about 10% of what it costs to buy a Snap On.
Oh and you know those impact screw drivers? The ones you hit with a hammer that are very handy on ATV work. Well the bits are now made in Taiwan and have no warranty at all and I ruin one every time I use it. So every time I need my impact screw driver it costs me $3. I should see if Snap On bits will fit.

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b411/Blown_331/20120729_143451.jpg?t=1344103607

Flossyb20
08-04-2012, 03:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, when you break your Snap-On ratchet, they don't give you a new one, they send your's in to be rebuilt, and let you use a "loaner", and is still costs you like 50.00 to get your's rebuilt...atleast that's what they use to do, not sure how they handle it anymore. Either way, if Craftsman went to Chinese make tools, I may start thinking about spending the extra money on Snap-On as well.

Blown 331
08-04-2012, 03:43 PM
I became an auto tech in 2000. I aquired most of my Matco and Snap On in 1998 to 2000. So I'm not sure about anything before that but I can tell you Snap On never charged money to rebuild a ratchet unless it was abused or left in a creek for 10 years. And if your a good customer they probably would warranty a ratchet that you left in a creek for 10 years. (you know, after spending $15,000 on a tool box). Anyway I know for sure since 2000 that if you break a Snap On ratchet the tool guy will either give you a new one or rebuild yours on the truck, no loaners involved or sending it off and its free. Thats how ours worked anyway. I'm sure theres exceptions if you needed something somewhat odd.
And I can honestly say I've never broken a Snap On tool, I have broken about 8 Matcos and probably 50 Craftsmans.
I think the only thing Craftsman has left that is made in USA is the regular sockets, the regular wrenches and screw drivers. Everything else is Chinese or Taiwan. All the specialty and polished tools including Craftsman professional are foreign. Sorry for the tool box derail. Maybe someone can post a pic and get it back on track.

Popeye
08-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Nice boxes, I would show mine but it just wouldn't stack up. Basic Craftsman, cheap tools, scattered everywhere. I work on a lot of stuff and I get sick of looking at stuff and having to buy more. Wish I could get more organized, but by time I get through fixing on something I am ready to just get it all in the shed and be done with it lol. I wish I had nice tools, but if I bought them I wouldn't have any money for trike parts.

Somebody throw out a list of must have tools for a trike owner. Not really all the specialty stuff for boring and whatnot, but just standard tools. (ie metric sockets, flywheel puller, etc). I have a lot of standard sockets because I used to work on old Chevys (love them things), but now that I drive a sucky old Jeep my ride is metric too. I'd really like to hear what people think though. Having the right tools makes the job 1000X's easier. I think I've been told more than once on this forum to "first, get the right tool".lol

shortline10
08-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Instead of buying those large replacement tips for your impact screwdriver that always break , use a couple socket reducers till you get to a 1/4" socket and use a reg good quality tip . Also use a rubber mallet and the impact will last forever .
Yes sears tool line up is getting sad :(

http://i1041.photobucket.com/albums/b411/Blown_331/20120729_143451.jpg?t=1344103607[/IMG]

briano
08-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Do a little research and you will find that lots of snap on tools are being made in china now also.

Blown 331
08-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Do a little research and you will find that lots of snap on tools are being made in china now also.

Country of origin is listed on their website. Find a chinese snap on and post it up. I don't think you will. And I mean an actual snap on, not just something they sell, not a blue point either. And I mean a hand tool. USA makes no electronics in any brand etc.

hillbilly 200x
08-06-2012, 10:06 PM
well right now I am working out of my dads first snap-on box witch has be dumped off of the back of so many tailgate over the last 25years, to the right of the nice bum :). I am starting my own shop up tomorrow so my dad has given me his newest box witch I only have a pic of the bottom box, that he bought in 2000 just before he started his new job with the city where he didn't need it anymore. My box has mostly snap-on hand tools (sockets ratchets, screw drives and so on). I can't stand snap-on wrenches so I have been using master craft wrenches for the past 4 years with no problems152085152086 she want to come out riding so she had to learn how to work on her own bike

JasonB
08-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I will have to throw up some pictures of my set ups, I have a standing chest my gf bought me last xmas that is nice for me! I have a smaller portable chest that I take on every trip and also use for pulling motors and other fun car stuff. I have a mixture of all brands but mostly craftsman stuff. Gets the job done!

El Camexican
08-08-2012, 12:28 PM
These are great for traveling in the pick-up, or just bolting to your trailer. I don't have a photo of mine, but basicaly no matter how rought the ride the tools stay in place on the pins and trays and its waterproof and has a lock. I keep my "secondary" tools in it in case it gets ripped off one day.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200480863_200480863

MTS
08-08-2012, 09:53 PM
heres my old beeaaach... fineally got a chance to start cleaning my corner of the shop..thought I lost this old girl :lol: