PDA

View Full Version : 85 YTM225dx throttle issue

gearguy_wpg
08-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Hello all,

Noobie and first post. I managed to salvage this old beast from a shed it's been sitting in since 2010. It had a minor fire on the left side that was mostly corrected. Looking at the damage, I would assume the fuel line ignited off the cylinder head. After cable repairs, hose replacement and a carb rebuild I got her up and running like a champ again 3 days ago. The day before yesterday I took her into the local trails and gave her a good run. Nice tight turns and into some heavy rutts created by some larger quads. Again...runnin like a champ!! Clearly I got bit by the bug so after work I changed and went right out again yesterday. I was cruising along in the forest trail 3rd gear and again went into a a big rutt but this time on the way out the throttle flared to wide open and as you can imagine the only thing to stop me was a tree a few feet away. The trike and I survived with minor injury. I got her back up and fired her up and she was still stuck WOT. I shut it down and gave the thumb throttle a flick or two. Lots of resistance on the springback. She settled down and idled after that. When I built the carb, the throttle valve, spring and cable looked good. I'm going to check on the cable routing and the bore of the carb where the throttle barrell sits too. I should add that the boot/hose from carb to air filter is loose. Someone put a mickey mouse crinkle hose on there. Kind of like a mini dryer hose. I'm going to make a better one out of a rad hose that I found. Could that cause it? Should I just replace the cable and carb? Considered selling her but I had way too much fun the last couple days. I just do not want this to happen again....:beer

muthey
08-04-2012, 12:43 PM
definitely replace the carb to air box hose I might even have one would have to check, also when you check out the throttle valve, look at the main needle as if the w clip or the cir clip is loose or fell off it will give you issues. If nothing else for the intake tube look on ebay under ytm 225, and there are plenty of parts available on there.

gearguy_wpg
08-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Made a new tube for the carb from a rad hose. Turned out minty. I discovered the throttle cable had pulled out of its crimp right before it takes a 90 degree bend into the carb. I think it jammed under the gas tank and pulled out. I was able to duplicate it in the garage. I searched on eBay for a new cable and for what I can see there's a difference between 84-85 and 86. I not 100% on the year and can't find the vin. The part number on the existing cable is 21V1100-9E11. When you look for that cable there is nothing to be found anywhere. Where's the VIN typically stamped?

Pgil28
08-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I have an 84 and i found my vin on the frame by the handle bars. There is a sticker that also states the motor size and model. hope this helps