PDA

View Full Version : no start issue can ne one help?

mcloud
08-07-2012, 03:08 PM
hi i have a 83 185 atc that will not start . i have boiled the carb put in a new coil , spark plug , timing chain and gears , k&n air filter, and set the valves, and all was done corectly and still will not start even tried a shot of starting fluid but still nothing. any ideas?

PDADDY
08-07-2012, 03:42 PM
does it have spark ? i would try checking the cdi if it has no spark

mcloud
08-07-2012, 05:07 PM
yes it has good spark

kb0nly
08-07-2012, 06:37 PM
If it has good spark, like a nice blue/white spark, then the only thing it could be is timing. Not sure what else i would check.

mcloud
08-07-2012, 09:22 PM
yep thats what i thought but the timing is dead on idk but thanks ne way

donwon
08-07-2012, 10:16 PM
compression? i say this because i put a spark plug in finger tight and scratched my head for an hour. thats how it goes most of the time for me.

yaegerb
08-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Is the spark plug wet after you try to start it?

mcloud
08-08-2012, 09:49 AM
it seems like there is good compression, and no the spark plug is dry when i take it out.

yaegerb
08-08-2012, 10:20 AM
That's your problem. No fuel getting to the spark plug. I would take the work back from there. Find out why fuel is not going into your motor. My guess, you need to blow your carburetor jets out with compressed air. Both of them, pilot and main.

kb0nly
08-08-2012, 01:37 PM
He tried a shot of starting fluid though, so it can't just be the carb.

Make sure the intake valve is opening properly, maybe your not getting anything into the cylinder. You might also try pulling the plug and putting some fresh gas into the cylinder then reinstalling the plug and trying to get it to fire again just to make sure it actually runs.

Oh and another note... I tell guys this over and over and over... Don't use starting fluid on a gas engine. I know its tempting but your only asking for trouble, its intended use is diesel engines in my opinion and thats all that it should be used on.

If you want a troubleshooting starter like that get a $.99 cent spray bottle from your local wal-mart or hit the local dollar store and look in the cleaning products isle for one. Then fill that with fresh gas. You can set it to stream for shooting into plug holes or mist for spraying some fuel into the back end of a carb. If it won't fire with gas then its got a problem, using starting fluid to get it to fire is just bad practice.

yaegerb
08-08-2012, 01:49 PM
He tried a shot of starting fluid though, so it can't just be the carb.

Make sure the intake valve is opening properly, maybe your not getting anything into the cylinder. You might also try pulling the plug and putting some fresh gas into the cylinder then reinstalling the plug and trying to get it to fire again just to make sure it actually runs.

Oh and another note... I tell guys this over and over and over... Don't use starting fluid on a gas engine. I know its tempting but your only asking for trouble, its intended use is diesel engines in my opinion and thats all that it should be used on.

If you want a troubleshooting starter like that get a $.99 cent spray bottle from your local wal-mart or hit the local dollar store and look in the cleaning products isle for one. Then fill that with fresh gas. You can set it to stream for shooting into plug holes or mist for spraying some fuel into the back end of a carb. If it won't fire with gas then its got a problem, using starting fluid to get it to fire is just bad practice.

Ah, yes, totally forgot he tried starting fluid. Thanks for the correction.

OK, so getting spark and won't fire on starting fluid? With those ruled out the only thing I can think of is timing (valves not operating properly as KbOnly already stated). That may also explain why your plug is dry...fuel not getting sucked into the head properly. When the engine is operating properly and you have the choke on, you should smell gas fumes and know that its flooded. Do you smell gas with the choke on when you are trying to start it?

mcloud
08-08-2012, 02:46 PM
yep i do smell gas when i try to start it with the choke on, so how would i fix this problem ne ideas? thanks

yaegerb
08-08-2012, 03:00 PM
I would say double check your timing. Click on the thread below and ensure your "T" and "F" timing marks are aligned correctly.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/141964-HOW-TO-Set-timing-on-Honda-185-200-motors-with-pics

Also make sure that your valves are gapped at .003

kb0nly
08-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Has to be a timing or valve issue then, nothing else it could be. Setting the timing on these can be tricky, so check it again and go over it slowly. It wouldn't be the first time one of us made a mistake on timing! I had one that looked right but wouldn't run right. I found it was a partially sheered flywheel key, so even though i had the timing set correctly using the flywheel marks the flywheel itself was not set right!

mcloud
08-08-2012, 04:08 PM
ok well ill check the flywheel and let u no what i find. thanks guys for all your help.

yaegerb
08-08-2012, 04:11 PM
No problem. Let us know what you find.