PDA

View Full Version : 200s engine problems

bmartens
08-07-2012, 09:55 PM
I have a 200s that has been sittingsome time. I completely tore apart the carb and cleaned it out with seafoam and compressed air but i am still running into an idle issue. Trike starts easily and usually will idle normal. Once its running i notice a random miss which requires throttle to keep the trike running. Small blips usually just keep it running at normal idle but if i gas it too much it starts idling very high. At this point it usually idles high for around 10 seconds but sometimes it just stays.

I made sure the intake was sealed and checked for air leaks twice
i adjusted the idle properly and im sure the slide is in correctly
The throttle cable does not stick or bind
I also adjusted and lubed the throttle cable
The random miss at low speed baffles me the trike drives pretty good and seems to have good power no apparent miss while driving at higher rpms

Im pretty stuck here. I have had other atvs bikes and small engines i even have an identical trike but ive never seen this issue. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

yaegerb
08-07-2012, 10:07 PM
The "miss" is likely due to a clogged pilot jet. Take the pilot jet out and blow compressed air through it.

As far as blipping the throttle and it sticking....have you checked that the slide is operating properly? Sounds like the slide is sticking. Might want to soak the slide/carb body in b-12 chemtool as it could have a buildup of varnish.

kb0nly
08-08-2012, 01:34 AM
I agree on the slide sticking... I had this problem on mine but it turned out the throttle cable wasn't moving smoothly and was sticking, i tried lubricating the cable a few times and finally gave up and bought a new cable for it and that fixed it once and for all.

Also check the area that the idle stop screw contacts on the slide. Sometimes people will adjust the idle without moving the slide up by pressing the throttle first and run the idle set screw into the slide and cause a dimple, the idle set screw catches on the bottom edge of that dimple and sticks the throttle partially open. If thats the case you can fix it, i usually take a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and grind out the dimple and then take some sandpaper and smooth the end of the idle set screw if its no longer round on the end.

I would also check the jets and check the spark plug to see if its running to rich or lean.

tri again
08-08-2012, 01:49 AM
I've also seen the 'w' clip or whatever it is flip over so
the main jet needle settles wherever it wants.

aka unsecured main needle.
as I recall, it is held down by the w clip and the piston
and can go in a few ways other than correct.
(pls don't ask me how I know)

Also very common is to not have the main piston rotated correctly
and yes it Does screw cap down and seem perfect
and even has that 'click snap shut' sound and feel to it
when you blip the throttle.

Pls let us know what you find.