PDA

View Full Version : Have an ATC250SX OR ATC250ES in Northern Utah?

jaredc00
08-09-2012, 01:35 PM
This is a long shot, but does anyone have an ATC250SX or ES big red in Northern Utah? I have no spark and all other electrical parts work when tested according to the manual. Therefore the only thing left is the CDI. Right? I don't want to spend $50 on ebay for a used CDI if that isn't the problem though. So if someone has a working wheeler I could bring them my CDI and see if their wheeler is still working. Thought I'd ask. Otherwise this thing is getting parted out. Thanks!

tri again
08-09-2012, 05:59 PM
hang on.

Try the search key for 'no spark'
you can also add sx or es later but it will give you tons of pages
about no spark conditions.
I've seen that nipping the last tiny bit off the coil wire do the trick
since the wire can corrode. Unscrew the spark plug cap
and see if spark jumps right from the wire.

I did a full rebuild and forgot to check the kill switch being the rocket scientist that I am.

Lots of easy free stuff to check first.
There's also a silly little fuse in the es that looks like a mini wrench
in a rubber boot thing by the voltage regulator.

Don't give up.
Fenders alone are worth 200, gas tank 100 etc etc.

I just went thru the same mind bend with an sx that stopped shifting.

Turned out to be a slightly bent 9 dollar pin.

Keep us posted.

jaredc00
08-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Well you inspired me to hang on to this machine and try and get it going.

No spark issue came from not having the neutral switch hook up. I don't get it, and the manual doesn't go over this, but I swear that is the only thing I changed. I hooked the wires up to that switch and that is it. Anyway, it is in the schematic that the CDI is hooked up to neutral switch. But it doesn't talk about checking it at all, so I don't really get it yet. Now I've just got to get this carb going right so it will run right!

dustrunner
08-15-2012, 03:49 PM
isnt it amazing how such a small piece left undone could cause so much headache and no riding.... always expect the unexpected... have fun..