PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Yamaha 225dx Questions

WhackeyD
08-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Hello, I recently purchased a 1986 Yamaha 225dx. I have questions about this bike, seeing as I know nothing about three wheelers except for I grew up riding a Honda 250. This particular trike has no brake or clutch on the handlebars, just a foot brake. The seller said it was normal
that it was auto clutch, he said all I do is shift, is this normal? Also I find it having what seems to be a slight delay from motor to shaft to axle for the power to kick in, is this normal or is there possibly a worn gear in there. When it idles I hear a clicking noise coming from where the exhaust connects to the engine also small amounts of oil leak from that spot, I imagine I just need a new gasket or could it be something
worse?

dustrunner
08-10-2012, 03:18 PM
im pretty sure it would have front brakes . look closely at the handlebars for signs of a brake perch . i know it's not on it but u should be able to see marks where it was...ofcoarse the bars might be changed... i had a few back in the day that i dont recall any hesetation in the gear drive so look that over closely... good luck

muthey
08-12-2012, 07:05 PM
the trike has hand brakes front and rear they are just missing, check you front hub and you should see the drum and a small lever that the cable goes to, also where the back brake is, you will see a spot for the hand brake cable as well. You will want to check the valve clearance, and look for wear on the cam chain as well, most yamaha four strokes are a little noisy, and from what I can tell that is pretty normal for them from that era. The oil leak can be as simple as a gasket or loose bolt, or as bad as a crack in the cylinder. what do you mean by hesitation, how long a couple of seconds, a split second, it can vary. check the adjustment on the clutch, and yes it does have one I will provide you a link for a downloadable manual for it. http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/
Good luck and hopefully you can post some pics of it

Pgil28
08-13-2012, 01:59 PM
i have the same power problem with mine, i think that the automatic clutch is slipping but im not totally sure.

RAF
08-13-2012, 11:32 PM
I am a newbie to 3 wheelers and just purchased an 84 225 dx. i printed the manual online but ended up buying it on ebay anyway. I think it is much easier to look through especially if you have a lot of differant things to work on and it was well worth the cost. I would recommend saving the ink and ordering the manual on ebay. good luck!

Pgil28
08-13-2012, 11:49 PM
yea I could never get it to download totally, I think I will just buy it from ebay