PDA

View Full Version : 1985 honda atc 70 spark problem

manka117
08-11-2012, 05:14 PM
ok so i got a 1985 honda atc with spark problem so i got a new points and consesor and installed them condeser looked orginal but 3 wire were soddered onto condesor so that wht i did when i re insralled it i sodder all 3 wire back onto the longer post coming out i gapped it and still have no spark is there a way to test if points and condesor are workingand maybe kill switch or coil soloneid thihng is bad

jeigsk
08-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Did u check all wire connection. On all the harnesses .

manka117
08-11-2012, 10:48 PM
I was messing with soark plug wire and end came off it looks like it screws into wire do I just screw it back in also I have it gapped but is it possible if I put wheelwheel on wrong and its throwing off timing and how many wire conections are there and where

jeigsk
08-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Yes should just screw back. Make sure it is clean. Just follow the wire make sure every where there is a connection that they are hooked up. What do u mean by wheel wheel. What is it doing exactly. Does it run.

manka117
08-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Sorry phone auto corrected me lol I ment fly wheel could have I put it on wrong I mean the shaft it goes onto is keyed so don't think I could of

jeigsk
08-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Start at handle bars and follow the wires all the way back.

jeigsk
08-11-2012, 11:19 PM
That what I thought. I do not think u can put it on wrong. Does it start at all.is there spark.

jeigsk
08-11-2012, 11:24 PM
On my 185 there is wiring harness by the carb i knock off. it's inside a boot. It toke me two hour figure out what was wrong.

manka117
08-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Nope there's no spark I was looking around popped kill switch off and sa3 black wrie was broken off so I re soddered it on and still nothing so I cut red and black wire and just twisted them together and still nothing then un did them so they weren't touching then tried again and still nothing there's no spark I bought this from a family friend it suppodley ran fine then sat in his garage for 3 years because his kids got new dirtbikes so they never drove the atc anymore but there's no spark

jeigsk
08-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Did u take spark plug and put up against the block to see if there was spark. Just checking. But switch could be it. But should start with wires disconnected like u said. Have u checked cdi

manka117
08-12-2012, 08:39 AM
Yeah well I got new spark plug in motor and im using another new sparkplug to see if I got spark its the same spark plug that's in motot I've tried different spark plugs I know that work and still nothing im gonna go over all wiring gonna unplug any I see and clean them with some elctronics cleaner

manka117
08-12-2012, 09:14 AM
I just che@ked over all the wires. One was loose. It was in a little black bott by carb like you said it was connected but when I touched it it like popped of so I squished this with pliers a bit now there's a good connection but everythings connected jw is there a way to test points and condensor to see if there working properly?

manka117
08-12-2012, 09:00 PM
alriight i found out what it was the spark plug wire is bad i just cut a spark plug wire off a old solenoid i had layuing around and its got spark im going to get statring fluid tommorw and a new spark plug i think new spark plug i got the other day is bad then im gonna re gap points what i did to gap points was lossen the little nut on that screw where a wires goes from to the condesor then put gap gauge in then tightened screw back up ii heard somkewhwer you have to turn something to open gap up all the way then gap it can anyone give me directions on howto

jeigsk
08-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Be careful with starter fluid it hard on motor. Some people say y can take a spray bottle put gas in it use that instead.

manka117
08-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Not a bad idea I might just try that

jeigsk
08-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Any luck with it

manka117
08-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Turns out the spark plug wire was bad I tried cutting a little then scrweing thing back but nothing so I had an solenoi from old briggs so I cute spark plug wire off it and put it on just kept end on it but screw it into coil on atc and boom spark it started right up and I drove litteraly down street then throttle cable broke.....