PDA

View Full Version : 1982 ATC 200 no spark

fordrangerracer
08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
Alright I'm new here. I recently bought my first trike a 1982 Honda 200 Not sure on the specific model. But there is no electric start just pull. But anyways I was doing some hardcore mudding in Trevorton, PA yesterday and I sunk it a few times. Lots and lots of coal dirt. Well I figured I'd go out this morning and try to start it after a long night. Well it ran for about 15 minutes so I shut it off. Then went out cleaned the carb and it wont start. There was very weak spark and now nothing. Kill switch is on run, I checked the CDI so I was going to get to the stator figuring there is dirt/water in there. (I have to use the rope trick since the pull start broke so there is no cover) I can't get the rotor off, if thats what its called. I tried a puller and it just starts to bend it. Any other ideas? Thank-you in advance for anyones help!

tri again
08-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Rotor?
are you trying to get the flywheel off to check the stator?

service manual
should light up as a clickable link.

You can actually check ohm resistance for the stator with the wires that come out of the case.
and also the ac voltage output of the stator if you can get it to spin.

no spark could be as simple as nipping the last tiny bit off the
coil wire. Unscrew the spark plug cap and see if it's corroded.
Best to check and di electric grease all connections, especially grounds.
coil to frame etc.

Yeah, we swamp our all the time because we have to cross a creek to get anywhere.
It's fun but triples the maintenance on the machines.

I often worry about running a hot engine into cold water but no one else seems worried.

Good luck and keep us posted.

The search key may also have tons of info.
I usually go generic with something like 'no spark'
and learn more than I have to.
or honda 200 no spark may work faster for you.

kb0nly
08-13-2012, 12:15 AM
If you mean your trying to get the part that the pull starter engages into off the crank to get the side cover off the engine there is a bolt in the center of it that bolts it to the end of the crank. Remove that bolt and it falls right off. If you mean remove the flywheel thats different.

fordrangerracer
08-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Yes kb0nly I mean removing the flywheel I'm sorry. And try again thank-you for the advice. I've been spraying it every few hours since last night. I did infact mean the flywheel not the rotor. Just ordered a puller that screws into the flywheel. Hopefully this works.

kb0nly
08-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Ahh ok, and yes all you need is a screw in puller. I just go to the local farm supply store and buy a large metric bolt, thats all you need. I forget the thread size i would have to go dig mine out.

fordrangerracer
08-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm going to the local motorcycle shop tomorrow morning they're gonna pull it off and clean everything out for 20-30 dollars. Which I think is very cheap. When I turned it on the side i noticed a bunch of dust and dirt coming out. Do you think that'd be the issue? Since there was weak spark then maybe from stiring everything up the dirt got lodged in the wrong places?

fordrangerracer
08-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Update, Flywheel was taken off and cleaned up. There was about a eighth of an inch of coal dirt on the flywheel. But still no spark. Where are the grounds that I need to check? And also I cleaned out all of the plugs. Whats the next step?

Furno
08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Hey, i recently had a no spark issue and it turned out to be the pins going into the connector in the CDI were coming out or wouldnt fit correctly. particularly the one from pulse generator. thatll give you no spark for sure. I replaced CDI, ALTernator and Rectifier before I figured it out.

Edit: The wires would get pushed up out of the plastic connector by the pin inside the CDI.

fordrangerracer
08-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I just purchased a multi-meter and I'm going to check all of the wires. I'm just worried that it's going to be a lost cause. One of my good friends was looking at it last n ight and he has absolutely no idea. And he can usually figure out the issue within an hour. Does anyone know what the wires should read? Should I do OHms or volts?

Furno
08-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Thats the tricky part, Theres no way to get good readings, a good CDI can look faulty on a multimeter. and a bad one can test good. best bet is to try a known good spare. if yu were closer to me, I'd stop by with a spare. I spent 3 days going through my electrical system to figure out it was loose wires. replaced literally every component and still had no spark, wiggled the wire from pulse generator and voila...

Furno
08-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Which CDI do you have? what type of plug does it got?

fordrangerracer
08-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Guys, thank-you very much for all of the advice. I took my new dummy multi-meter and tested the wire that goes to the coil, had pulsing power. So I knew I had power to there. So I went up to my buddy and stole his coil off of his 200x, fired right up! Now I gotta order one and give his back before he knows lol. Again thank-you guys so much for the help and advice! I really appreciate it!

Furno
08-16-2012, 09:16 PM
The super cheapo chinese atv coils work fine. I ordered a few different ones and they all work flawlessly, so cheap i can always have a spare.

fordrangerracer
08-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Well next time that's what i might do. I think I got a good deal on this one $8 with free shipping. I believe its OEM Honda

Furno
08-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Oh, I didn't realize an oem honda was that cheap. I'm surprised.