PDA

View Full Version : 1985 BIGRED shifter won't return up on downshifts

MJKH_BIGRED
08-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Was just out on the 85 BIGRED riding around smoothly, got back to my house and started slowing down and tried to downshift from 5th down a couple to 3rd to pull into the yard, and the shifter stuck in the down position. I was able to bring it back up with my toe and get it to shift smoothly into gear, but the shifter simply will not return up without using my toe underneath it. What is going on here?

M.Pargiello
08-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Probably the spring that holds the little fork on the star wheel broke... Sorry for my lack of technical terms

tri again
08-13-2012, 04:13 PM
see if you can get the search key to work.

Lots of posts on '250 shift' lately.

I did have one where the shifter was dragging on the case after a slight bend/crash,
but

Generally, anything important is under the left side cover.

so..if it comes to it, lay the trike on it's right side, milk crate under the front tire
so it's as dead level as possible and pull the left side cover off.

(drain oil if you want and 1/2 the gas)

There are 2 threaded pins that can back off, a bracket that can crack and a
spring that can break, all very available and cheap.
One pin is under the shift shaft that runs to the other side and splines into
an actuator arm so be gentle pulling that out so it goes right back where it belongs.

There's a pin under that shifter and another in the shift drum star wheel
or whatever it's called in whatever book you have.

service manual

should pop up as a clickable link
and exploded parts diagrams can be found on bikebandit.com
under the heading of 'shift linkage' or similar.

My phone number is posted in one of the recent posts.
5 four one, 935 four two oh six
if ya get real nervous.

Nice, calm workplace, maybe dropcloth under machine.
plug holes inside the engine so you don't drop anything down inside,
good light, bug spray, turn the *&^%$ phone off and put the cat away and you'll be fine.

MJKH_BIGRED
08-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks a lot tri again; no bent shifter unfortunately. I think the spring inside just finally let go. I also heard something on the "other" forum about a bolt that supports the spring snapping off. I think I'm stuck having to open it up. Fortunately, there is a Honda Motorsports dealer less than a mile from my house. I've tried to remove the shifter before to move it up a couple clicks up cause its kinda low and my foot tends to get stuck under it and it wouldn't come off the splines no matter how much I pryed on it. That could be an issue. You might hear from me, it'll be an 860 number out of CT. If anyone else has any advice, please share!

tri again
08-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks a lot tri again; no bent shifter unfortunately. I think the spring inside just finally let go. I also heard something on the "other" forum about a bolt that supports the spring snapping off. I think I'm stuck having to open it up. Fortunately, there is a Honda Motorsports dealer less than a mile from my house. I've tried to remove the shifter before to move it up a couple clicks up cause its kinda low and my foot tends to get stuck under it and it wouldn't come off the splines no matter how much I pryed on it. That could be an issue. You might hear from me, it'll be an 860 number out of CT. If anyone else has any advice, please share!

I'll be gone until 4 or so pacific time, parts running but anytime and/or I'll call you back.

The pinch bolt on the external foot shifter needs to come all the way out.
and you have have to tap a screwdriver into the pinch space to get it to spread
loose enough.
The small craftsman screwdriver ones fit perfectly but might break the tip off..
But I think you get the idea.

Did you find a free service manual?
They're also under the 'world class help' section in trikesylvania.

yeah, it's either the pin under the internal shift shaft, came loose or bent or broke.
Let me go get the part numbers.

MJKH_BIGRED
08-13-2012, 04:36 PM
I have a PDF of the service manual already. Don't think I'm gonna take it apart today. Probably just gonna go out on the 200e-185 mutant for a while. Just put a "new" left rear hub on and wanna see how she holds up. I wanna make sure I can get a gasket for the left side cover as I doubt this one will come apart nicely. Bummer man. I'm a school teacher and I was gonna go all out triking for the next couple weeks before school starts. I spent all summer cleaning up my trails with my chainsaw after the freak insane snow storm we had here last October that knocked over HUNDREDS of GIANT oaks and maples in the woods behind my house. Finally the trails are a clear shot where you can pick up some speed without bushwacking and I'm down my best machine. In terms of the shifter, I took the screw all the way out and tapped a flat head in, but I guess not far enough. Will try that again in a while.

tri again
08-13-2012, 04:42 PM
24621-HAO-020 arm, gearshift is the bracket that MAY have cracked - hangs on the end of the internal shift shaft.

24652-HAO-000 'pin' under that bracket that may bend break or simply come loose.
and
my personal favorite
24315-KA3-710 is another threaded pin that can come loose
in the center of the shift drum star wheel can also come loose
and grind against the shift wheel.
I was able to see it rotate as I operated the external shifter with a very clean
view of the end of the bolt.
It backed off, bent a tiny bit and bent a couple thousandths. and wouldn't let it shift.
Finally was able to see the bend when I put it in a drill and spun it.
The 'shift drum stopper' is another 10 dollar part that can come loose
or bend.

Also a nice straight edge on the internal shift shaft is a good idea.
Some folks really stomp on the shifters or ride on 'em like they're footpegs.
so who knows what these poor things have been through over the years.

Just keep thinking it will run another 1/4 century when you get it.

May wanna consider a side cover gasket altho I was able to reuse mine
3x. Starter gear gasket too, maybe.
go super easy on the gasket sealer or use hondabond or nothing at all.
That crap easily gets into the engine.
I usually glue my cover gaskets to the covers with contact cement.

tri again
08-13-2012, 04:51 PM
I have a PDF of the service manual already. Don't think I'm gonna take it apart today. Probably just gonna go out on the 200e-185 mutant for a while. Just put a "new" left rear hub on and wanna see how she holds up. I wanna make sure I can get a gasket for the left side cover as I doubt this one will come apart nicely. Bummer man. I'm a school teacher and I was gonna go all out triking for the next couple weeks before school starts. I spent all summer cleaning up my trails with my chainsaw after the freak insane snow storm we had here last October that knocked over HUNDREDS of GIANT oaks and maples in the woods behind my house. Finally the trails are a clear shot where you can pick up some speed without bushwacking and I'm down my best machine. In terms of the shifter, I took the screw all the way out and tapped a flat head in, but I guess not far enough. Will try that again in a while.

With good info you can do it in an hour or 2.
Since this would be my 3rd time in? about 20 minutes.

I searched for days before and during disassembly, bought
whatever parts the honda shop said I might need and it still took me
3x apart and 2 more trips to the store.
which is why I posted my #.to save some heartache..

...sooo?
sounds like you've got firewood for a couple years now.
What is your favorite subject to teach?

MJKH_BIGRED
08-13-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm a wood shop teacher. Ya I have lots of wood, but need the 250es with the trailer to haul it all back out! I'm gonna go down the road, have a beer and come back and start pulling it apart I guess. Want to get some riding in.

tri again
08-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Any new news on the shift linkage yet?

Still trying to remember where we stayed in Conn in the 70's.
An old farm house near the Housatonic? river an hour or so south of the border.
I remember a railroad bed along the river with no rails or tracks.
Might be a good place to ride.