PDA

View Full Version : A little something for you gun owners who have a carry permit

Scootertrash
08-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Anti-gun Locations Listing iPhone app.

This was posted over at AR15.com by one of the co-writers of the app.

Cliffs Notes version:
This app will let you check establishments across the country for a no guns policy before you arrive. Restaurants, hotels, etc. It's a user updated app, so when you encounter an establishment that prohibits weapons you add it to the lists so others will know. The app for Android should be ready in about a week. Cost of the app is .99

Link to the app:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/posted!-carry-list-anti-gun/id530004581

Post at AR15.com by the co-writer of the app:
I’ve co-written an iPhone app that I think might be relevant. This app is a crowd-sourced listing of anti-gun locations (stores, restaurants, etc…) accross the United States. Posted! - Carry List Anti-Gun Locations(http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/posted!-carry-list-anti-gun/id530004581)

I based this on what I and others I spoke with thought would be really useful! I always found it annoying to make plans with friends to go to a restaurant, only to be turned away at the last second because of their “no guns” sign, or to drive all the way to a store, only to find out I could not enter to buy the item I needed. This app makes it very easy to find locations that prohibit carry (based on current location, city, or name), so you know before going to one And it makes it very easy to add such locations to the list (including picture, GPS, address, and description), so others will know where to avoid.

The description is below. Please let me know what you think! I’m always looking for ways to make it better. BTW, it will also be available for Android in a few weeks.

App Description:
This application is for any gun owner! The purpose of this app is for the legal and conscientious concealed carry license holder to know where they cannot legally carry before getting there. A licensed permit holder or a resident of a constitutional carry state can usually legally carry their firearm in any location other than statutory "no carry" locations such as schools, gov. buildings, etc., and in locations that are posted prohibiting firearms. This is a list of those Posted locations.

Find hotels where you can’t carry before booking a trip to one. Find restaurants where you cannot carry before making dinner plans. Find stores to avoid before you step out the door. It is extremely inconvenient to not find out until you get to a location that they prohibit your second amendment rights. You have to either disarm in the parking lot (causing your vehicle to be a target for thieves) or go somewhere else at the last second. If you know beforehand, you can avoid the places that prohibit carry, or you can leave your firearm at home if you must attend.

This is Release 1.0 of the application. So far, we have a large number of "Posted anti-gun" locations collected in Wisconsin, Michigan, Kansas, Arizona, and Nebraska. We have assembled smaller lists in Florida, Iowa, Idaho, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and Washington; all provided by many great gun forums and sites with their permission. Since it is crowd-sourced by users like you, please be patient while the list grows! The initial Database doesn't have listings yet for other states. Be the first person in your state to grab data and add it to the app! You receive attribution for listing, and will receive special thanks for starting your state's listing!

This list is user-updated, and will continue to get better over time. But this relies on you! If you go to a place not on the list and they have a sign, please add it with a few clicks via the "Add Location" button! If a place had taken down their sign, get it removed the same way! If you already have a list of anti-gun businesses in your area or state, please send me an email. We would love to include any data you have collected, and give you credit for it!

Link to the thread at AR15.com:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1355436_Anti_gun_Locations_Listing_iPhone_app.html

MRSOUND
08-16-2012, 08:05 AM
This may very well be the first app I purchase for my iphone. Great resource app! Thanks Scooter

Scootertrash
08-16-2012, 09:14 AM
No Problem!

I still need to get an iPhone http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz200/pepper2010_bucket/smiley-hiding-hole.gif

briano
08-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Good info, I'm going to get the app. There has been more and more people in my area open carrying, so far so good from what I hear. I am going to get a holster and start open carrying my 9 mm and have my NAA 22 in my pocket.

TecateDan
08-17-2012, 04:28 PM
It's so funny to see different states laws. I have my permit in Massachusetts and you MUST carry concealed or else it is considered brandishing a weapon which is a felony. No Open carry allowed in public