PDA

View Full Version : Gasket question

Get'nHectic
08-16-2012, 10:04 PM
hey everybody I've aquired my dads Old 250r and have been slowly rebuilding it. My problem is the cylinder head gasket is leaking anti-freeze just below where the cylinder head attaches to the frame. The bike was bored 30 over recently so im taking it i should get a head gasket the would fit the 30 ovr bore job or will a regular oem gasket work? also is it wise to get a thicker gasket? and which brands would you guys recomend?.......... Another question. Ive been looking at a new pipe beings it is bored. I run a 38mm flatside mikuni carb and it appears there is a torque gasket on my intake manifold. Would an ESR hi rev do the trick? I have a white brothers silencer currently on it and wouldnt mind keeping it beings i want to keep it original as i remember it when i was a kid growing up on it can this old silencer be re-packed? how do i go about finding the stuff to do it? thanks in advance....

Furno
08-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Exhaust Packing (Ebay) (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-TRX250R-250R-R-FMF-2-STROKE-SILENCER-PACKING-NEW-ENGINE-MOTOR-CYLINDER-/280940635102?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41695de3de&vxp=mtr)

OEM Head Gasket part # 12254-961-010

You can get a thinner gasket, Might get a bit more comp out of it... Ebay link here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ATC250R-TOP-END-GASKET-KIT-85-86-THIN-HEAD-GASKET-/270810139831?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0d8accb7&vxp=mtr)

As far as the pipe, many people keep a few different pipes around depending on what they want to do, so if you can do it on the cheap, try whatever you can. though I'm sure someone else here may have tried a similar setup and give a better answer.

bslama69
08-17-2012, 01:00 AM
If the top end job was recent you may just need to re-torque your head bolts. Loosen that bolt that attaches the cylinder to the frame and torque your head bolts in the numbered order that is stamped on the head. Don't know what the '85 torque value is but likely somewhere around 25 ft-lbs.

Your silencer should be able to be repacked. Most of them can be and the packing material is less than $10.