PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 84 atc 250r honda, any tips or advice for me?

250r Noob
08-17-2012, 07:30 AM
I know to go over everything and check it out. but i just have a few questions.
1. does it have a oil reservoir?
2. Since its air cooled, and not water cooled, is it easier to over heat?
3.this is my first 2 stroke, what are the gas-oil ratios, im running regular unleaded gas.
4.whats a good brand of 2 stroke oil that wont leave me broke? Valvoline? ect.
5.Do these blow up easier than fourstrokes?
I plan to do some jetting, and moding in the future.
Any mod recommendations?( Brands ect.)

I traded my 87 trx honda 250x for it. So im not used to 2 strokes, but i have owned a few 3 wheelers ( 84 200s honda)
I just dont wanna blow it up or over heat it.
Pics will be up soon.

fabiodriven
08-17-2012, 11:48 AM
It does not have an oil reservoir. You have to pre-mix the oil with the gas. It does have transmission fluid which lubes the transmission and clutch, etc. The crank, rod, and piston are all lubed by the pre-mixed gasoline.

These bikes can get hot, but usually if the jetting is where it should be it's not an issue. If they get hot, they'll start idling really high and pinging and stuff. Occasionally if you get them hot enough, they won't shut off with the kill switch or even if you pull the plug wire off. If you ever get it that hot, you're doing something wrong. Basically, jet it right and it will be fine.

There are a lot of ways to mix your gas. You'll want to get a good, quality (expensive), probably synthetic oil. If you get a good oil you'll probably want to mix at like 40:1 or 50:1. The only non synthetic endorsed by Fabiodriven:D is Golden Spectro. That's good oil for a non-synthetic.

DO NOT MIX AT 20:1 EVEN IF IT SAYS TO RIGHT ON THE BIKE OR IN THE MANUAL! When these bikes were sold new, the two stroke oils at the time were not very good. That's why they mixed the oil so thick back then. With today's modern oil you can mix the oil much thinner.

A properly cared for two stroke can last as long as a 4 stroke if you know what you're doing. They will need a rebuild before a four stroke will in some cases, but it will last a long time if you take care of it.

The only time you should change the jetting is for weather, altitude, or if you modify the intake, exhaust, porting, compression, etc... Jetting in itself is not a performance oriented thing to do. Jetting is required when altering other parts of the bike. Basically if it runs good when you get it, leave it alone. If your weather gets colder, you'll need bigger jets. If it gets hotter, you'll need smaller jets. If you start moving more air through the motor, you'll need more fuel, i.e. bigger jets. But you can deal with that when the time comes.

Good luck!

rgthree
08-17-2012, 06:24 PM
get a bigger carb. the stock carb on these machines really holds them back.