PDA

View Full Version : The worlds best craigslist grab. Honda 185s my First Trike

Irideon3wheels
08-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Yesterday i was strolling around on craigslist as normal and looked up a project something to do finally. Found an 84 bigred es no tank or back plastic for 60 bucks idint know ifi had money buti thought id look into it called them. sold. moved on after a tear or two. stumbled upon a honda atc 185s for 300$ . didnt think tttoo much of it because it didnt have picture thought it was probably like anything else i find. rats nest in airbox, no light, and more pop rivets than a ww2 battleship. Texted the guy seemed pretty nice had him send pictures. MY JAW DROPPED:drool:152852152853 Got the ball rolling loaded up the truck with my grand dad today. went by the bank ,had just enough went to his house no rust in the tank. bearings were loose chain was tight, light surface rust on wheels and brake assembly, broken hand brake arms,and brand new tires. Plastic looks like it just came from the factory with the exception of the fairing in the back and some scooter grips everything was legit ready to go made the decision we loaded it up and were gone to rallys to eat a 1.00 victory burger. Got it to the garage, mind set on getting it running. pulled it knowing it had good compression. put gas in it for giggles and it didnt pull start. changed plug it wanted to turn over. pulled it around the field (wild ride) and it would start bog and quit every five minutes. took off air filter, pushed compressed air through it to clean it out a bit but i used some ether and it started ok so carb would have to let it go through so its not clogged too bad. pulled it three or four times around the field same thing put carb cleaner stuff in the tank cleaned it it seems it sprang to life. yes it smoked like a two stroke burning setting oil off yes i couldnt figure out the gears part of the time(figured it out 5minutes later), and yes it had been sitting for three years but it ran purred like a kitten that cold water was thrown on. rode it around burned off the oil and now i have a very good looking, running, powerful, and cheap three wheeler. It was the only thing atv wise i have bought with my own money (have three other little four wheelers that sat i was given) and the only three wheeler i have ever ridden that i can remember that isnt a little 70. so i guess everything is just pretty good right now thanks for looking any commentsor questions please feel free to ask;)

tri again
08-18-2012, 04:03 AM
Very cool.
Congrats.

see if the following words light up as a clickable link

service manual

and keep us posted.
Before and after pix are part of the unspoken rules.

I ruined my last find by blowing the weeds and ferns off it before it's baby pictures.

Welcome and have a great time

M.Pargiello
08-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Nice, i grabbed a 185 (not s) on clist a couple days before my 200X

jb2wheels
08-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Great trike. I bought one new in 82. Rode it hard for years until USAF took me away...

Irideon3wheels
08-18-2012, 12:49 PM
ok after pics and maybe video soon. i reall cant wait to ride it again. pull start needs a new rope i believe it gets caught after a full pull so it stays out but i wiggle it a bit and it goes in it holds so im not worried about it but does any body have a clue where i could find the front brake set up like the cable arm, body, brake cable and all the necessary bolts and things. and a brake arm and body for the back brakes. id like to get them working to have a complete and really good wheeler. and so far its great seat pan isnt rusty seat isnt torn and it is pretty awesome if i do say so my self thanks for the input

kb0nly
08-18-2012, 01:28 PM
For the starter you may need a new rope, but the way you describe it you probably just need to pull the starter off and go through it, clean it, lubricate, and you should be good. When they sit for a long time they can get water in and rust up a bit, they still work on the pull but hang up a bit on retracting because the spring doesn't have enough strength to spin it.

As for the parts you need... Check out ebay as there is a ton of parts on there for these wheelers now days. Otherwise for new parts check out www.dratv.com as he has been the best for me in finding these parts.

If you need the service manual check the link in my signature below.

Make sure you do an oil change if you haven't already, after sitting that long its very important to get it flushed out. I would change the oil and run it around on some rides for a few days then dump and change the oil again cause a lot of crud is going to loosen up with some fresh oil in it.

One more thing... Don't use ether on these 4 strokes... I know a lot of guys do it, but its a good way to burn it up. Ether just isn't good for gas engines. I have seen the damage it can cause. Tear apart the carb, clean it good, or get a new carb off ebay. You can get the chinese repo carbs for these for about $30 shipped, a rebuild kit for your existing carb is at least $20. Just makes sense to replace it and get a fresh carb.

Irideon3wheels
08-18-2012, 02:14 PM
i guess i forgot to mention i work on old quads all the time i get what i have to do but thanks for the opinion i rebuild engines all the time the carb ill do since i was going to clean and replace as necessary i figured some ether to get it started wouldnt hurt havent used any since just to get it going ill rebuild the starter sometime im just hoping the coil spring doesnt decide to fall out (happened on a little trx 70 it broke couldnt rewind it) so i guess lubricate and replace the rope and it will be good the foot brake works perfectly so i wont have to worry about brakes too much im going to change the oil when i get back to alabama im in kentucky right now visiting thats why i jumped on the deal but either way it is a really nice deal so far any input is always welcome thanks everyone

kb0nly
08-19-2012, 12:35 AM
It looks like a good trike, a little love and she will be hitting the trails nicely!

Keepah Rolln
08-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Nice deals!! Alot of 185 poppin up. I picked a 1982 up for free and she is a ugly duck but will look nice someday...

sp8twn
08-20-2012, 11:07 AM
sweet deal!!!!!!

Irideon3wheels
08-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Congrats Keepah Rollin on the free 185s they sure are good machines from what i hear and feel when i ride. the shifter is a bit bent and the foot pegs were bnt up looked like they were made that way but my shoe got caught on the back of the plastic so i took notice of it may have to put a foot guard on the back. sw another project suspension 185s on here were someone was trying to put some polaris plastic ones on it. or maybe i could try and switch them up from a trx 70 from 1986. ill try to keep you guys updated as i go have to go buy some more carb cleaner before i tear into it but until then ill just hold the throttle and fly up and down a dirt road. haha! also does anyone know or believe a big red or any other wheeler have similar brake handles? it would probably be alot easier than tracking down an original 185s one and i could get it in black :naughty: and so far the light works. wonder if i could make this thing resto mod style (foreman 500 light, foot peg backings, relocated rack, tool box from back of a newer quad with light.) that would make it a one of a kind. If I build it, buyers will come. and then be fought off with a stick because ill be keeping it haha thanks for input keep it coming!

Keepah Rolln
08-22-2012, 11:45 AM
My gear shift is also bent way out..Plus someone welded brackets to the frame in the rear and zip tied house door matts for rear fenders..lol

Irideon3wheels
08-23-2012, 09:56 PM
its amazing the things people think will fix something. their was a honda foreman on craigslist here the guy wanted about 2grand over retail for it ( piece of crap) that he took floor mats that were two feet wide and riveted them to the sides and all edges of it for mud that wasnt anywere close to getting on it (maybe ill find a picture of it) south alabama people make me laugh what they think will work:lol: they lift anything they can find and dont do anything to the engine like gear reduction and every week they end up in the shop. anyway i cleaned out the carbureator and it runs very well. only problem is the idle screw i adjusted and it work go any lower than a high rpm it like almost 2 clicks higher than factory and it bugs me because ill loosen it and loosen it and it wont do anything. maybe throttle cable? it works like a charm but your never too sure. rode it around all day today (had really bad sore throat been home this week but it wont keep me down.) and it ran with power to spare now to head back to the gas station for more of my non ethanol gas that i love so much :naughty: any way any more input or ideas? still need brake pieces above and trailer hitch mount would be nice thanks all

roostin atc
08-26-2012, 01:11 AM
when in doubt wheelie out. thats the best wheelie machine. slow first gear wheelies, got a 83