PDA

View Full Version : Got in a car accident Friday

briano
08-19-2012, 10:02 AM
My fiancé Jackie took me out to dinner after work on Friday, on the way home we had my first car accident. We were at a stop light, there was a ford mini van in front of us about 5 feet. We were just sitting and talking waiting for the light to change and WHAMO, we got rear ended. We got hit so hard that we flew forward into the van in front of us leaving the imprint of our Pontiac Torrent in their rear door. We were on a highway and there were cars waiting to go so we all pulled off on the cross street. What a mess, the guy in the van gets out screaming at Jackie, she tells him what happened and we all make sure everyone is alright. The kid that hit us just looked like a moron, he didn't have a clue what happened. The cops get there and question everyone and then its the kids turn, he lies to the cops after he just heard 4 other people tell them what happened. You could see that this punk was on something, after he says he has no plates, or insurance, or a drivers license the police run his name. What do ya know, warrants out for his arrest. Now he is asked to empty his pockets and out comes the bag of weed and lighter and a pipe. What a waste, he is 19 years old, one warrant was for not showing up to court for a drunk driving, now he gets caught with weed along with no plates insurance or license.

Well at least everyone is ok just a little sore. I know one thing for sure if we would have had our 8 month old daughter in the car I probably would have yanked that punk out of his car and beat him off the street, not that it would look good for me but I would have been pissed. The next thing I know, a Pontiac Torrent is one hell of a vehicle. We got hit hard enough to knock my hat off my head and it ended up in the back, then the van we ended up hitting, the rear door was pushed in about a foot, and there is not much visual damage to our vehicle. I'm sure there are lots of broken brackets and plastic parts underneath but from 30 feet away its hard to tell it was in an accident.

remsandpets
08-19-2012, 10:33 AM
We were just in one as well. Just got the car back from the auto shop. $2800. In damage from a stand still rear ender. Still battling the indsurance and wifes concusson symtoms. Good luck and glad to hear everyone is ok.

atc007
08-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Whew,,how do I keep this short.. My sister and bro in law were rear ended,will be 2 years next month. They were sitting on a road,waiting to turn left,waiting for gas truck traffic. they were hit @ roughly 45 mph. He was in a older Dakota,they were n a brand new Freestar Limited. My sister was driving. It was raining. She saw they were gonna be hit a split second before,took her foot off the brake and floored it. Her hubby was looking towards her as they were hit. His hat also ended up at the rear gate. They both walked away,directed traffic,denied a ambulance ride. Went to the hospital later that night. They were taking his elderly mom out for Bday supper from the home. Well, LONG story short, she never had back problem in her life, he had. Farmer/hard laborer. She did 7 months physical therapy. He did a year and a half. he had back fusion surgery a cpl months ago. the real kicker?! The douchebag that tagged them. PA,,unbenounced to us till this,,has a State minimum liability,, $10,000 !! Their vehicle was over $35000. their medical bills w no pain and suffering,no gas,no lost time,no recovery for him losing his job. Are well over $250000. They very reluctantly got a lawyer. Everything went as well as it could. They got $75000 to split,,and their co pays and fees they can't get out of from the hospital are $37000. They will walk away from this,, Him FCD for life,her never the same. Losing money : ) What a Country !!! Glad to hear you're all ok! Do the backs of your legs hurt like hell today!!? They could barely walk for a week plus.

KASEY
08-19-2012, 01:58 PM
same thing here!!!! 10 days ago i got hit from behind ,, slammed into the car in front of me,,, just got an estimate $4500 to fix my truck,,, the guy also has state minumum coverags $10,000 and thats just am stimate walking around it,,, GREAT!

briano
08-19-2012, 09:22 PM
We are ok. The dick that hit us has no insurance and is now going to jail. I would love to be able to pound some money out of him to pay our insurance deductible but that will never happen. He is completely at fault for the damage on two other vehicles besides his and there will be no money out of his pocket. We could try to take him to court I suppose, but what would we ever be able to get from him, NOTHING. Jackie has missed two days of work so far just from being stiff and sore, I'm still a little sore but not to bad.

kb0nly
08-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Man that sucks, glad to hear everyone is ok! Here in MN we carry large coverage for medical and loss of wages because we are a no fault state. The term No-Fault pertains strictly to medical bills. The phrase No-Fault has absolutely NOTHING to do with determining fault for an accident.

In MN No-Fault means that your medical bills are paid by your own insurance company regardless of who is at-fault for the accident. Which sucks to an extent, but it also means that if you don't carry coverage you can't sue the other guy to cover it either, cause its not their fault for medical. Regarding determining accident fault, MN uses a "comparative negligence" system that allows both drivers to be held partially responsible for an accident. The person who is the majority of fault owes that percentage to the other driver. So if somebody is considered to be 80% at-fault they or their insurance company owe 80% to the other driver.

I got plugged in a parking lot a few years ago, i was backing out slowly from a parking spot when someone else not paying attention hit me before i could even see them coming. It was determined i was 20% at fault, how i have no clue, i was backing out slowly while watching the whole time and then bamm this car comes out of nowhere and plows into me. $3500 in damage to my vehicle and the rusty POS that hit me had a bent license plate and scuffed bumper, maybe a $100 damage, but yet i get 20% of the fault? Whatever, not worth to argue it in court just costs too much. Paid my deductible and got the repair done, had to cough up another $300 to cover repairs, luckily i took it to a shop that we have locally thats good about working with customers in these situations and saved a little here and there where possible, repainting instead of replacing some plastic parts, etc. What a pain.

tri again
08-21-2012, 11:38 AM
I've seen it thousands of times.
No problems until you cough or sneeze 6 months later and it's hard to breathe.
or impossible to walk.

All I'm sayin' is sign nothing and keep a close eye on things that may start to hurt.
including headaches, digestive and sleep disturbances etc etc stuff you'd never
imagine.

Insurance companies, if there is one, magically want you to sign off asap
before odd symptoms appear.

ps - state minimums of 10-20 grand and 2 grand med pay can be increased
to 100-300.
I said I want 100,000 med pay.
Well it costs, ready?? an extra 6 freakin' dollars every 6 months.

that's why it's such a secret the insurance companies don't want us to know.

atc007
08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Great post. My parents Always carried every option in our insurance policies. We pay less a year for full coverage than most pay in 3 months for nothing. Sad but true.

brapp
08-24-2012, 10:18 PM
i learned my lesson witrh drinkign and driving, i stoped drinkign at midnight and at 6 am i was still impared and rolled truck 4 times before beign throw out the back window on the old chevy. but on a diffrent note i have 4 vehicles on my insurance policy and i have pretty good coverage and it comes out to liek 200 per vehiclke for every 6 months so it snot bad at all.

remsandpets
08-25-2012, 07:14 AM
My wife is still coping with concussion symtoms. Forgets words. Driving places and not remembering why shealways ends up at wally-world. Its really frustrating and nothing from liberty mutual yet. The other guys company insurance.