PDA

View Full Version : Klt 110

fixer2u
08-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Hey All new to the forum here.

I have a KLT 110 and the shifter shaft broke off on me. I have located the part online, but have misplaced my service manual and caoont find it! Can anyone help me out with instructions from the manual on the procedure for replacing this part?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Nick

hogmuffin
08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
not the best quality scans...hope this helps.

hogmuffin
08-20-2012, 09:20 PM
basically, pull off the right side engine cover, remove the clutch, and the transmission gear. then pull down on the shift hooks so they are clear of the shift drum cage. then you can pull out the shaft. you'll have to remove the centering spring and shift arm, and install them on the new shaft. then install in reverse order.

fixer2u
08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
THank you! Thats a lot better than nothing! Much appreciated! :)

fixer2u
05-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Well I fonally got around to installing the shift shaft and that portion went great thanks to the help on here.... BUT after about 15 minutes of riding the brand new shaft broke off AGAIN! In the exact same spot as the previous one....

Both shafts broke in the dipped spot between the splined areas. WHat gives here? I know people have talked abotu the metal being crappy as I can tell by the dull white color in the fracture. My shifter is in great shape and is a direct OEM replacement, so what can I do here? Are there any tricks to help me avaid this? WHat have others done?

THanks in advance!

barnett468
05-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Hello

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with you KLT. I actually did ALL the R and D testing on those when I worked at Kawi do I am very fond of them.

Well I fonally got around to installing the shift shaft and that portion went great thanks to the help on here.... BUT after about 15 minutes of riding the brand new shaft broke off AGAIN! In the exact same spot as the previous one....Both shafts broke in the dipped spot between the splined areas. WHat gives here?

Used or aftermarket parts might be what gives, did you install a brand new factory Kawi one?

Did it come in the original Kawi package?

If you did install a new Kawi made one and it broke then the material has been changed somehow from the original ones made in 1984 and I suggest trying to find a good original one.

A 29 year old used one may have the same problem. If you installed a used one I suggest you buy a new original one. See the link below. Since it will have no fatigue from use it will last many more years.

A failure like this should not happen but still should not be surprising after 27 years or more of abuse. Yes the Honda’s don’t have this 1 single problem but many more that make up for it with ALL the other clutch and shifter problems they have.

Can you post a close up photo directly to the site [not a jpeg url, I can’t view those] or post it to flickr etc and paste a link to it here.

84’-86’ KLT 110 shift shaft p/n 13161-1044 $48.00

http://www.xtremeusa.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=KUS#/Kawasaki/KLT110-A1_KLT110_(1984)/GEAR_CHANGE_MECHANISM/KLT110-A1-1984/080193C-5

partzilla.com

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/kawasaki/KP-13161-1044.html

xxxxx

I know people have talked abotu the metal being crappy as I can tell by the dull white color in the fracture.

It may not be as good as the Honda’s shaft but the prototype I had was tested for around 150 hours or more, half of which was under “race” type conditions. After this time it along with a new pre production bike was tested side by side for another 100 hours side. During ALL the tests my instructions from the 3 Japanese engineers Kawi Japan sent over specifically for this project was to try and break it. I and my friend were both pro riders at the time and so we beat the “bleepin” “bleep” out of those things. There was not a single failure or spark plug change during the entire testing period however the stupid shifter kept coming loose ALL the time.

Xxxxx

My shifter is in great shape and is a direct OEM replacement

If it is an original Kawasaki part p/n 12161-1044 it’s good, if not it’s likely Chinese and I wouldn’t use it.

fixer2u
05-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Barnett, THank you for the reply!

http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/KAWASAKI/1986/KLT110/GEAR-CHANGE-MECHANISM
That is the shift shaft I installed. It appears to be a brand new Kawi part. I do not recall if it was in a Kawi package you mentioned.

I will take a pic and post it when I get home tonight so you can see.

I will order another new one from one of the sites you posted and see what happens.

Might it be worth putting some JB Weld on the splines of the new one to maybe give things more support?

THanks again!

fixer2u
05-28-2013, 03:45 PM
The shifter I got was this one. It appears to be original Kawa? http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/KAWASAKI/1986/KLT110/GEAR-CHANGE-MECHANISM
I do not recall if it came in the original packaging...

I will take your advise and get another from one of the sources you posted.

I can post pictures tonight when I get home from work.

THank you for the reply!

Nick

fixer2u
05-28-2013, 03:47 PM
The shifter I got was this one. It appears to be original Kawa? http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/KAWASAKI/1986/KLT110/GEAR-CHANGE-MECHANISM
I do not recall if it came in the original packaging...

I will take your advise and get another from one of the sources you posted.

I can post pictures tonight when I get home from work.

jb2wheels
05-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Interesting... I learned something about KLT 110s today:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/133464-snapped-my-shifter-off-my-1985-klt-110?

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/122962-kawasaki-klt-110-shifter-broke-off-take-a-look-at-pics-please-help

shortline10
05-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Cut the klt shaft and weld on a Honda spline and be done with it LOL . The KLT's have issues for sure with the stock shift shaft either breaking or stripping out .

fixer2u
05-28-2013, 08:23 PM

barnett, here is the picture of the fracture along with the shifter.

Ghostv2
05-28-2013, 09:06 PM
@barnett468 - I think its pretty cool we have the original guys who worked on these bike and tested these bikes back in the day here to help us out. It must have been one pretty cool job, however one managed to get that job is beyond me. Do we have a lot of others like you here?

Sorry to get a little off topic guys.

barnett468
05-29-2013, 04:01 AM
Hello

Can you post a close up photo directly to the site [not a jpeg url, I can’t view those] or post it to flickr etc and paste a link to it here.

Sorry I can’t view the photos the way you posted them.

fixer2u
05-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Sorry Barnett I completely misread what you posted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/fixer2u/2013-05-28191222.jpg

barnett468
05-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Hello fixer 2u

Any luck changing the photo’s?

@barnett468 - I think its pretty cool we have the original guys who worked on these bike and tested these bikes back in the day here to help us out. It must have been one pretty cool job

Way beyond cool.

however one managed to get that job is beyond me.

I was living in Calif and opened up Cycle News newspaper one day and in the jobs section was an ad placed by Kawi, I applied the next day. There were around a total of 200 applicants. After 3 weeks a few interviews followed by a riding ability and bike evaluation test at Saddleback Park on an ill handling 1983 KX500 [see 10 worst bikes ever made article below], I and my friend that I hadn’t seen in 9 years were the last 2 remaining. I started soon after.

10 worst bikes ever made article.

Kawasaki had taken a sow’s ear and instead of turning it into a silk purse, came back with a whole pig.

http://www.pulpmx.com/stories/worst-bikes-ever

Do we have a lot of others like you here?

I’m the only one as far as I know.

probed_out
05-29-2013, 11:30 AM
this might sound a little ghetto but you could drill and tap the end of the shifter shaft then you could bolt the shifter onto the shaft for good

barnett468
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Hello

I replied to your PM, thanks for the photos.

Ok, this may be confusing but here’s a couple ideas and what I see.

The shaft looks brittle and the whole design is poor, you can fix the brittle shaft problem by taking the broken one and the new one to a heat treating facility, tell them the problem, show them the problem and let then heat treat the new one as they feel appropriate but I think this other fix will work.

Look at the splines on the shaft, they are around 12 mm long. Only the first 5 mm of them are worn. This means that the splines on the shifter are NOT clamping on them and/or engaging them fully for some reason. This is why it broke now you will have to tell me what the problem is.

OK just got photos and it is EXACTLY what I thought. The hole in your shifter is drilled in the wrong place by around 5 mm. This prevents full engagement with the second set of splines when the bolt is installed. Part of your shifter splines look bad but I can’t see well enough so you need to determine this. You have 2 options 1 is weld the holes in the shifter and re-drill them 5 closer to the inside. Then get the hardware as described below or just follow full instructions below.

When all this is done and your bike is reassembled if your shifter wobbles on the shaft at all it will either wear the splines or break the tip. You must check shifter play after every single ride and retighten when it feels loose or every 20 hours.

1. Heat treat new shaft if you want.

2. Buy new kawi shifter otherwise the old shifter will cause some sort of damage to the shifter guaranteed.

3. The last 4 mm of splines inside your shifter look worn, this has been happening for a while. You must buy a new kawi shifter.

4. Go to an industrial hardware supply store and buy a grade 10 or 8 bolt that sticks out the other end of the bolt hole by 3/8 of an inch.

5. Buy 4 grade 10 NOT grade 8 [unless 10’s are not available] 1/4” USS [not SAE] flat washers or other type of grade 10 washer with the right size id and a large od.

6. Buy 2 grade 8 nuts.

7. Take hardware and shifter pieces to a vice or bench.

8. Put grease in shaft and shifter splines then assemble. You might need to persuade it with a hammer GENTLY. The shifter must go on the shaft far enough so you can no longer see the machined taper on the shaft.

8. Assuming that goes well then wrap a piece of masking tape on the shaft marking where the shifter stopped.

9. Look through bolt hole in shifter to see if it is clear or if the splines are covering part of the hole. If it is clear you are fine if it is partially blocked you need to file the splines so the bolt can go through. This would be caused by the hole in the shifter being drilled in the wrong place by the factory. DO NOT PULL SHIFTER BACK TO CLEAR HOLE, IT WILL BECOME DAMAGED AGAIN.

10. If hole is clear remove tape, install on bike and put 2 washers on the bolt and install. Loosen and tighten a few times to “seat” the bolt, then while holding the bolt install 2 more washers and the nut. If hole is NOT clear proceed to next step.

11. Install shaft and shifter. With the shifter installed all the way and in the right position take some white out in a bottle and mark the bottom of the shaft in line with the slot in the shifter. Remove shaft and shifter take to work bench remove shifter and file splines slightly where bolt goes thru by using the white out mark as your guide. Assemble shifter, check hole, file splines until it is clear with shifter fully engaged on shaft. Once hole is clear, reassemble as described in #10.

The washers spread the torque of the bolt out over a larger area. This will help prevent the shifter from coming loose on the shaft which in turn will prevent it from wearing, stripping and/or breaking. Pretty cool huh?