PDA

View Full Version : Tips to avoid getting scammed

spaghetti
08-23-2012, 07:26 PM
I see alot of this B.S. going on here and on other forums, so we should have a thread for tips and info about this. Not sure where something like this would go, so I stuck it in here.

First off, always beware of new members! I know I am still "new", but my small amount of good feedback should speak for itself.
On any forum, I DO NOT buy ANYTHING from members with low post count (someone with 1000's of posts is generally not going to throw away all of that time over a few bucks in his pocket) and no feedback, unless they agree to ship first.
If a newbie is selling something you absolutely must have, try to get him to ship it first or at least take half payment up front and half upon reciept/inspection of said item.
Most forums I use require the seller to post a picture of their object next to a sign with their username and date on it, ( example, if I were to list a set of bars today, I would take a picture of them next to a notebook, where I will have written spaghetti, 8-23-12, 3ww.com. Or something along those lines). This would be a good thing to ask for when buying from somebody you are unsure of, while it does not guarantee they will not rip you off, it pretty much proves that they have the item in their possession.

NEVER gift money if you are not sure of the buyer! If buying from somebody that you know to be a stand up seller, then gifting $ is understandable.
Paypal (usually) covers your butt if you get scammed, but if the money was sent to the seller as a gift, kiss it goodbye.

Establish a solid line of communication with the seller.
A phone number and email address are always better to have than just private messaging a buyer back and forth. I am always available by phone to any buyer, and try to check pm's on here at least half a dozen times a week.
If someone will not give out their phone number, why should you send them your money?
Use your gut when talking to sellers, if it takes a week for the seller to answer a question about his product, and another week to reply with his paypal address or w/e information, then he is probably not a good person to buy from, as it will generally be hard to contact them if something goes wrong.

Ask lots of questions!
Make sure you know the condition of what you are getting, before you pay for it.
When buying larger parts, ask about shipping!
Will the seller be packing it themselves or just dropping it off at the UPS store?
Has the seller ever shipped anything like this before?
This one was brought on by the recent post about the pipe coming in a ceiling fan box, and numerous 50+lb subwoofers that I have seen dropped off at the ups store, who just dropped the speaker in a box of peanuts and called it a day.
Never let the shipping store pack any heavy (over 10 lbs) or fragile items, such as pipes, fenders, etc. Basically, if its worth more than $20, pack it yourself. They generally rape your wallet when you have them package it too.
Tell the seller to pack your item in anticipation of a 40ft fall! ( Pack assuming that the package will be abused in every and any way possible).
Any of you who have worked at ups (etc), or do lots of shipping know why this is important.
Nobody cares that your box says "fragile", and to the right driver, that word translates to "please whip on ground as hard as possible". I have seen it happen before.

This list is just the beginning of the basics, you can not possibly think of and prevent all scamming techniques/shipping mishaps, but you can be prepared.

Dirtcrasher
08-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Unfortunately with live in a generation of disrespect; Thieves and scams everywhere while everyone tries to survive.

IDK if you mentioned it but about the worst thing you can do is use Craigslist and invite the thieves on your property.

I meet people with the item for sale even if they say "It's no big deal, I can just swing by your house; I have the money in hand"

Yeah, right!

fabiodriven
08-24-2012, 11:14 AM
A lot of what you have said is common sense spaghetti. Unfortunately, common sense isn't all that common these days.

There are a TON of people on this forum who do business based solely on trust, but a lot of us know one another very well. Most of the seasoned members on here know who they can and cannot do business with and have to worry about it. To be honest, there was a rash of issues going on for a while there but it's slowed down dramatically over the last few months. I would know, I kind of "police" the deadbeats on here.

If anybody has any bad transactions or issues with buying/selling stuff on here by all means contact me. I am the keeper of the deadbeat list and that list can be seen here- http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/141548-The-deadbeat-buyer-seller-thread

I do not just toss people on that list without first going through all the facts that I can and talking to all parties involved that are willing to discuss the incident. There has been more than one occasion that transactions have been brought to my attention and they were resolved without anybody having made the list. I am more than fair, but I won't hear B-S from anybody. I've got a nose for it. ;)

El Camexican
08-24-2012, 11:44 AM
"If a newbie is selling something you absolutely must have, try to get him to ship it first or at least take half payment up front and half upon reciept/inspection of said item"

I wish you luck with that one.

Buyer beware in my motto, which reminds me of another quote I didn't post today. "If its too good to be true, it probably is"