PDA

View Full Version : New guy. Brake problem on a Honda 250sx

hinanners
08-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Glad to be a member of fellow trikers, I ride an 84 tecate, a 250sx and a tri-moto 125. Fixing the yamaha, almost done with it. But the sx I list both front and rear brakes. Slack in the cables, and can't find where brake fluid goes. I did follow a line from the back tires to handle bars, but line is broke and goes to nothing. Can anybody give me a clue on this? I'm list and can't fund a tm (manual) on it. Thanks again all.

kb0nly
08-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Get the manual from my link below in my signature, all the info you need should be there!

Flossyb20
08-23-2012, 09:27 PM
The SX doesn't use brake fluid...it uses 2 cable for the rear brake (1 to the foot brake, 1 to the hand brake), and the front brake uses 1...

Furno
08-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Yeah mate, it's drum brakes all around unless you've had the 200x conversion which it sounds like you've not.

hinanners
08-24-2012, 11:21 PM
No I don't. So it could be as easy as new shoes. Awesome. Yeah not the 200x conversion. I just got rid of those two. Also if anybody has a gas cap or know what works for a gas cap on the tri-moto 125 let me know. Also if anybody in Nebraska let's load up and hit the trails. I have access to the platte and the elkhorn. The platte is good for the sand bars and the elkhorn has great trails, good mud, and sand.

hinanners
08-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Also, thanks for the tm. That will be a huge help here in a bit just getting the shoes. Man it's great to know there's more three wheeler lovers out here, the new generation 4 wheelers make fun if me for being old school!!!

Furno
08-25-2012, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't assume the shoes so fast, try adjusting the brakes using the wing nuts at the end of the cables first, open up the drum to be sure they are working correctly. probably just out of adjustment.

hinanners
08-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Ok. Now would that cause the tons of slack in the lines? Do I just have to twist the wing nuts, or a special way of doing it. After the honeydo list is done, or at least kinda fulfilled, maybe I can get back to it. Thanks for the advise. This site is great

Furno
08-25-2012, 02:16 PM
I find that I need to use a pair of pliers to gently hold down the line while I twist the wingnut to tighten up the slack in the cables. jut make sure you are turning the nut and not the shaft its on. let us know if you get results.

Edit:

Do you see how the foot mechanism is also attached to the hand mechanism? I find myself adjusting it every now and again.

hinanners
08-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Ok. Hey thanks again. Maybe me and my son can ride together today