PDA

View Full Version : Valve guide seals???

87v20
08-23-2012, 09:52 PM
How do I change valve seals on a 84 200x....it smokes a little right when I start it...is it same as on a truck...put air into the cylinder...then compress spring,,,remove it,,,replace old seal then reassemble???can someone write a detailed how to do if that's not the correct way...thanks

yaegerb
08-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Remove the head, use a spring compressor tool to compress the springs, take off the keepers, remove spring, pull off old valve seals and install new ones, then reassemble.

87v20
08-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Good...preciate it man

tri again
08-24-2012, 05:09 PM
How do I change valve seals on a 84 200x....it smokes a little right when I start it...is it same as on a truck...put air into the cylinder...then compress spring,,,remove it,,,replace old seal then reassemble???can someone write a detailed how to do if that's not the correct way...thanks

That's what we used to do. Either air or a piece of soft cotton rope stuffed into the cylinder.
which may be safer if the valves are closed at whichever TDC you choose.

Both are a little scary but the worst case would be to pull the head IF if doesn't work.

Not sure if they even have valve seals but service manuals are free
in the 'world class help' section of trikesylvania.

shortline10
08-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Prob smoking on start up because its ready for rings , as the motor gets warm the rings expand and seal better . I would pull the top end and just do what's needed . Minimum would be a gasket kit , ring set , hone cylinder , valve guide seals and make sure you lap the valves as well .