PDA

View Full Version : New member with a new/old Tri-Z

Massengill
08-25-2012, 07:54 PM
I just bought this 1985 Yamaha Tri-Z and had some questions:

1. It came with a manual, but is very faded and has some water damage. Is the air screw 1.0 or 1.5 turns out? Is the pilot a 40 or 45, is the main jet a 470 or 420?

2. The holes in the rear wheels are oblong, what size wheels (bolt pattern) do I need to get to replace them?

3. I am not familiar with the 2 fuel petcocks, what's up with those?

Thanks for any info that I may have forgotten to ask.

3 Wheel Drive
08-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forums, main jet is 470, 1 turn out, and turn both of your petcocks on. Im a new Tri Z owner myself, Ive got the service manual on cd. The pilot jet is 45 too.

wisconsinite
08-25-2012, 09:27 PM
welcome. one petcock is on\reserve, the other is on\off. good luck with it, they're fun machines!

badass350x
08-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Order yamaha blaster wheels the lug pattern is the same, or buy banshee hubs and banshee wheels which is desirable setup as the availability of wheels for that lug pattern are easy to come by.

Massengill
08-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Order yamaha blaster wheels the lug pattern is the same, or buy banshee hubs and banshee wheels which is desirable setup as the availability of wheels for that lug pattern are easy to come by.

Do I have any options to change out the 12" front wheel to an 11" front wheel?

MonroeMike
08-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Welcome to the site.

Manual
http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/Yamaha/tri-z_250_servicemanual.pdf

Service data
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/126115-YTZ-250-Tri-Z-Service-Data

bslama69
08-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Not sure about the 11" front wheel. Rear bolt pattern is 4/100. Here's a great site for bolt pattern information:

http://www.myboltpattern.com/Yamaha-Bolt-Patterns.php

Because the Tri-Z tank is under the seat and can not gravity feed to the carb there is a fuel pump. The petcock to the back of the back is your "on/reserve" selector and the one toward the front is the "on/off" from the fuel pump to the carb.

Massengill
08-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Not sure about the 11" front wheel. Rear bolt pattern is 4/100. Here's a great site for bolt pattern information:

http://www.myboltpattern.com/Yamaha-Bolt-Patterns.php

Because the Tri-Z tank is under the seat and can not gravity feed to the carb there is a fuel pump. The petcock to the back of the back is your "on/reserve" selector and the one toward the front is the "on/off" from the fuel pump to the carb.

OK, so I also have some carburetor tuning questions for this 85 model

It has a DG pipe and silencer, UNI filter and lid is removed. It was jetted for Cali sea level.

air screw - 1 turn out
pilot - 45
needle - 3rd position
main jet - 500

I am at 4,350 feet above sea level, it starts and idles good, but when you give it some throttle it just falls on it's face. It smokes alot too, not sure what ratio or type of oil previous owner was running.

I moved the needle clip to the 2nd position from the top, it does seem to run a little better, still a little smoke though. I also set the air screw for 1-1/8 turns out. I haven't had a chance to do a plug check yet, but am pretty sure the main jet is too big for this elevation, probably should go back to the 470 main jet.

Any help would be appreciated

Massengill
08-26-2012, 05:09 PM
UPDATE

Took it out for a ride today: putted around in 1st, cruised around in 3rd at half throttle, and made some WOT runs in 5th.
still starts and idles great, still accelerates pretty good, but when you are WOT in 5th as it reaches max speed it just falls off near the top.

Is it running too lean
Is it running too rich and fouling the plug
Could the floats be out of adjustment

I pulled the plug after driving it around for about 15 minutes, the bottom thread is black/wet, but the ceramic inside is dry and colored grey at the tip

striz
08-27-2012, 04:43 PM
hey guys im new to this site i dont know where or how to ask questions on this site so ill ask here. im building an 85 tri-z i have almost everything to complete it but i need forks and front wheel ect, i have the triples i was wondering if anyone one on this site had front ends for sale or if someone could point me in the right direction i know there hard to come by there is one set on ebay. my dad bought this z in 1990 and sold it in 95 i got it back in 08 and the guy wouldnt give me the forks or front wheel or gas tank and some other misc parts it was really b.s. i have loved these bikes my whole life and hate seeing them go out! if anyone could help point me in the right direction to save this trike i would much apprieciate it thanx guys.

tri-Z ripper
08-27-2012, 05:37 PM
hey guys im new to this site i dont know where or how to ask questions on this site so ill ask here. im building an 85 tri-z i have almost everything to complete it but i need forks and front wheel ect, i have the triples i was wondering if anyone one on this site had front ends for sale or if someone could point me in the right direction i know there hard to come by there is one set on ebay. my dad bought this z in 1990 and sold it in 95 i got it back in 08 and the guy wouldnt give me the forks or front wheel or gas tank and some other misc parts it was really b.s. i have loved these bikes my whole life and hate seeing them go out! if anyone could help point me in the right direction to save this trike i would much apprieciate it thanx guys.

post up your own thread with WTB where to buy. welcome to the boards and check out this thread it will help you all a million!!!

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/16277-parts-that-inter-change-with-TRI-Z-250